Fencing - colorbond vs treated pine?

It's gently sloping, but over the course of about 50 metres, the drop is about 2m. The steps in the colorbond is a compelling reason to go with timber in this case then, right?

Having been a fencing contractor for a long time, I can assure you colourbond does not need to be stepped. It can also follow the slope if you know how to do it that is...;) And looks way better and neater than palings IMHO. Put it up once and you're done...

Colourbond all the way for me...spend too many times ripping out rotten twisted treated pine fences that were only a few years old. Not hard to replace colourbond panels and the colours stay the same only the names of colours change.

Thorpey or anyone can you give us an idea of fencing costs per metre for botj colourbond and wood, and how much it costs for a gate. Thanks.

Costs of fencing

Have recently had some quotes for both timber and colorbond - lowest cost for timber was $65 per metre including removal of old fence. Without removal it was about $13 per metre cheaper.
Colorbond has come in at about $90 and up per metre including removal of old fence.
Quote for a colourbond gate with a small section of fence was around $400

Depends on area and age (there was a survey somewhere that said older people 40+ preferred treated pine).

Normally in average/poor areas, treated pine are the go. Expensive areas are usually colorbond / concrete. These places normally will not allow you put up treated pine fences.

Thorpey or anyone can you give us an idea of fencing costs per metre for botj colourbond and wood, and how much it costs for a gate. Thanks.

Very hard to give a realistic price on here without looking at the job and where it is access to suppliers etc....I'd say get 3 quotes from local fencers and ask them if you can see their work close by and talk to their customer...that will sort them out as there are a fair amount of slackers out there giving that trade a bad name.

I found on the Central Coast NSW that T/pine and C/bond were comparable and C/bond was actually getting cheaper in the overall cost of supply and installation. That is of course allowing for that 3rd rail in a paling fence someone mentioned earlier, and even for a 5ft fence a 3rd rail is needed.

Oh, and I put up colourbond in both poor and wealthy areas as I did for T/pine as well....

Horses for courses with sort of stuff as I used to hate colourbond way back in the late 80's...but when I started to install it along with paling fences I woke up to the durability and overall better look it provides...again that's mu view only....

That's an interesting question, I'm about to build a paling fence ( at my own cost) on my side of an existing cyclone mesh industrial type fence. I have decided to do this because this is what we want and it saves any disputes, but I don't know what the implications may be. ( Don't care much either).

I did this too. Years ago we had colourbond down the right hand side. We have 2 neighbours at the back. I approached the neighbour at the back RHS and he said he would only pay for timber. So we left it. The fence was almost non existent and I worried about the safety (that's where the pool is). In the end we just put the colourbond on our side of the falling down fence. He can't really see it anyway as there are lots of trees and shrubs on his side. He convinced the other neighbour at the back of us to put timber and he hates it. Once the colur goes off it looks dirty and is now warped.
I think colourbond is clean and fresh. Ours looks as good as the day we installed it. Years ago.

Timber always. Looks better, is heaps quieter and much less prone to damage in storms.

We had a big storm up here this time last year, and it was absolute carnage on the colourbond fences. You would see a twisted mangled mess of a colourbond fence and right next door would be an intact timber fence. Whole suburbs were impacted, and I didn't see anybody replacing their colourbond fence with another one, put it that way.

Back