Fencing - colorbond vs treated pine?

My neighbours are keen to replace a timber fence with a colorbond one. What is everyone's preference for fencing when it comes to their PPOR? Colorbond or treated pine and why?

I prefer treated pine as it's easier to fix if damaged and much quieter than steel.

Something to keep in mind with colorbond is that the manufacturers change the colours at times, and this makes it impossible to match if needed.

We have to replace a side fence and have decided to put in a treated pine fence. If there is a family next door, it might be a good idea to put in Treated Pine. Imagine a soccer ball hitting that colourbond fence over and over! Personally, I think it looks better than colourbond aswell.

I just upgraded my fence on my PPOR and went with timber (overlapped the pickets).

Same reasons as mentioned by Battler. I have 2 boys.... high cricket ball risk.

I prefer Colorbond.

In a large suburb near me they have to have the Treated Pine fences, don't think anyone oils them, so they fade rapidly, and unlike the patina you used to get with jarrah fences, I personally think the colour looks awful when faded. I know that colorbond fades but that does not bother me.

Years ago when replacing a storm damaged fence, my insurer told me they only covered wooden fences cannot recall exactly if it was 8 or 10 years, one or the other. Fences are so expensive to replace if that affects the equation.

I have only used timber but just remember to fix the palings onto 3 rails. Otherwise it twists too much. (some dodgy fencers use only 2) Can be painted any colour if you're into that look.

What's the difference in cost?

In the areas of my IP's colorbond is the new black and timber is out. But in my experience colorbond does not last well if damaged, and once damaged looks terrible and so I would always prefer a good timber fence. One advantage to colorbond is it is more easily repositioned if required and panels can be removed and installed for access, can't do that so easily with timber.

If your only replacing one side of your fence then i suggest going with what the rest of your fences have. Color bond doesn't match that well up against the other timber fences you might have.

That said, if you are not worried about the other points a new color bond fence would go great if you replaced all your fences with that. That said your other neighbors probably would want to keep timber anyway

If your only replacing one side of your fence then i suggest going with what the rest of your fences have. Color bond doesn't match that well up against the other timber fences you might have.

That said, if you are not worried about the other points a new color bond fence would go great if you replaced all your fences with that. That said your other neighbors probably would want to keep timber anyway

The majority of my back garden has timber fencing so that's my preference. If matching the other side wasn't a consideration, I'd still prefer timber. Unfortunately, my neighbour has a preference for colorbond so we're at a bit of a stalemate.

So far, it looks like 6 prefer timber and 4 prefer colorbond.

Is the fence line level? If not, colorbond fences end up with steps in them which can be unattractive.

It's gently sloping, but over the course of about 50 metres, the drop is about 2m. The steps in the colorbond is a compelling reason to go with timber in this case then, right?

It's gently sloping, but over the course of about 50 metres, the drop is about 2m. The steps in the colorbond is a compelling reason to go with timber in this case then, right?

Each colorbond fence section is approx 2.4m so you need 20 sections each one 100mm lower than the last one to drop 2m in 50m.

If the grade is consistent ie you can set it out with one string line, then 100mm steps would look ok as they are consistent, but if it's not, you will have irregular steps.

Also on a slope you have the opposite stepping underneath the fence where it doesn't touch the ground, what do you do with that bit?

Last edited:
Garbage (Please change your name I don't like garbage)

You only have to pay half the cost of a standard fence for your neighbourhood. find out the average cost per metre for a timber fence eg. $65.00 per metre and say to your neighbour's I am happy to pay $32.50 per metre for our boundary fence, I don't mind what type of fence you decide on but I am only paying $32.50 per metre as my contribution.

Now $32.50 is half of a 1800mm high fence you may find that a 1200mm fence costs $55.00 per metre and then ou would only need to contribute $22.50 per metre for your half share.

Walk up and down your street and look at the types of fences installed and go with the majority.

Good Luck
Sheryn

The laws regarding fencing seem to implicitly assume that everybody would think that a more expensive fence is better. They always make provision that if one side wants a more expensive fence, they can pay the extra to "upgrade".

But I think a timber fence is much more attractive than Colourbond, even though it's cheaper, and if I paid half for a timber fence but the neighbour was happy to pay more for a Colourbond fence, I wouldn't be happy at all (though the legislation seems to assume that I'd think I was getting a bargain) if they put up a Colourbond fence.

I wouldn't want the Colourbond fence at any price, and in fact wouldn't want to contribute anything, because in my mind, I'd have to pay for a second, timber, fence, to cover up the ugly Colourbond one. :p

I wonder what the law is in such a situation...

I wonder what the law is in such a situation...

That's an interesting question, I'm about to build a paling fence ( at my own cost) on my side of an existing cyclone mesh industrial type fence. I have decided to do this because this is what we want and it saves any disputes, but I don't know what the implications may be. ( Don't care much either).

But I think a timber fence is much more attractive than Colourbond, even though it's cheaper, and if I paid half for a timber fence but the neighbour was happy to pay more for a Colourbond fence, I wouldn't be happy at all (though the legislation seems to assume that I'd think I was getting a bargain) if they put up a Colourbond fence.

I wouldn't want the Colourbond fence at any price, and in fact wouldn't want to contribute anything, because in my mind, I'd have to pay for a second, timber, fence, to cover up the ugly Colourbond one. :p

I'm with you Ozperp. Colorbond fences are butt ugly.

It depends on what you like. I just installed colourbond on my PPOR because I intend to sell it in a couple of years and I wanted something easy to maintain. However, little s***s walking past occasionally bang on it.

Timber would require more upkeep, but I agree it looks better. It's also better with kids for neighbours because them playing sports affects you less. You run the risk of having them hanging over the fence every time they hit their ball over though

Back