fengshui and property??

I have read so many stories now about potential buyers wanting a property with good feng shui. Its not just the chinese market, plenty of other south east Asian markets in particular have similar beliefs. How important is this stuff really?

Well i suppose it all depends on how important you think Asian buyers will be to the property that you are considering.

I have used some Feng Shui principles in houses not from any strong belief but because they made sense in making the house feel better.

Its not just Feng Shui though. Another thing to be aware of if you are thinking about Asian buyers is the property number. Some Chinese people won't even look at a property of the number is inauspicious but will pay more for a lucky number. (There is a short guide at this link http://www.anewhouse.com.au/2014/12/chinese-lucky-and-unlucky-numbers/)

I am a Chinese grew up in China before I came here. Strangely enough, i never considered feng shui that much when I bought my PPOR and properties.. There were some basics that came to my mind at the time.. things like don't buy house number 4, and don't buy properties that are facing the roundabout etc.. however I wasn't serious about it.. In fact it's not even on my checklist.
Having said all that, I am relatively young and don't share the same thought with older generations from 50's, 60's and even 70's. Some of them believe in things such as lucky numbers like 6, 8 and how the interior design would impact their fortune. My mom is a big fan of fengshui and she even asked me not to buy properties with a toilet inside the master bedroom, which is quite common in new houses, because it 'might wash away my luck'. I couldn't understand how that is possible. LOL.

I think the younger generation is less strict on fengshui compared to the oldies. Two Chinese friends of mine who were purchasing a PPOR for their elderly parents both had to hire a fengshui consultant to ensure each property was appropriate. They declined to purchase a number of properties each in Sunnybank as the consultant highlighted structural issues that would be too costly to fix. They ended up purchasing places that only required minor cosmetic fengshui changes. If this is a concern make sure you buy a property with one of the lucky numbers in the street address. Just don't buy house number 666, while the Chinese will go nuts for this it might not be ideal for western clients...

Last edited:
I am a Chinese grew up in China before I came here. Strangely enough, i never considered feng shui that much when I bought my PPOR and properties.. There were some basics that came to my mind at the time.. things like don't buy house number 4, and don't buy properties that are facing the roundabout etc.. however I wasn't serious about it.. In fact it's not even on my checklist.
Having said all that, I am relatively young and don't share the same thought with older generations from 50's, 60's and even 70's. Some of them believe in things such as lucky numbers like 6, 8 and how the interior design would impact their fortune. My mom is a big fan of fengshui and she even asked me not to buy properties with a toilet inside the master bedroom, which is quite common in new houses, because it 'might wash away my luck'. I couldn't understand how that is possible. LOL.

some of feng shui is just common sense like cleaning the house of clutter. Some is just unreasonable I think, like having a hill or mountain south of the house as it provides strength of big brother backing you up for lifes challenges.
for the record I don't believe in these things much at all, purely by chance I bought a property with north facing entry, with hills at the southside, with a supposedly lucky number on the street address.
Certainly didn't and would not employ a shrink, I mean feng shui consultant, to evaluate before purchase.

I follow Feng Shui principles wherever possible.

Some actually makes perfect sense. For example:

De-clutter to allow the flow of Chi: A neat house is good.
Balance the house with different elements: cold hard tiles - warm wooden furniture with round corners; warm coloured carpets - metal frame furniture with glass.

Some you just have to believe - I am Chinese

Sitting with back to the wall.
Bagua mirror (concave) at front door - I am close to a roundabout.
Left side of the land higher than the right

Many Chinese do follow it.

I personally didn't believe in Feng Shui until I experienced a drastic change of luck when I changed the layout of my bedroom when I was having a really hard time. As soon as I changed the layout things started to change for me.

So from that point onwards I do take certain things into consideration when I look for houses: like having the entrance door facing south, north or east and never buying a house at T-junction. Also the front and back doors should not be facing each other as good luck will soon escape through the back door as soon as it enters it. And if possible the land should be rectangular or square. Never buy odd shaped land!!! Apart from these, things can be changed easily, so I don't really care.

The aspect of the entrance door depends on the year of breadwinners birth so it doesn't apply to everyone. And also Feng Shui directions for people change drastically every 20 years as it moves all the time. So you have to check your personal directions every 20 years. Apparently, some strong believers of Feng Shui do this every year because the position of the stars change and your good directions about 20 degrees.

By the funny coincidence we had a nice guy in our office today, who was looking for a property to buy.

He is a strong believer in Feng Shui and looks for a property which is facing North.

And no, he is not Chinese. :) Not even from Asian country.

If the person wanted a North face he was obviously practicing Aussie Feng Shui.

Chinese Feng Shui is based on the Northern hemisphere so opens the south side of the house to the Phoenix. (Sounds like Passive Solar Design)

With Aussie Feng Shui you are in the Southern Hemisphere so the main rooms need to be on the North,

For more see this link http://www.anewhouse.com.au/2012/02/1122/

Great topic!

My Dad is very much into his Feng Shui. Quite a few properties I've had to let go because of bad Feng Shui.

A few examples

- Front door directly in alignment of back door.
- Stairs facing the front door. Came up last week, sigh - it was a cracker too!
- Round about and T-junctions

Funny how the feng shui consultant usually costs more than the building & pest inspection.

Lol, you right..
But it's get peace of mind on the buyer perspective especially Asian.
And "luck" will follow after that.

So it get me thinking, next time I will write new condition in offer "subject to fengshui"

I have read so many stories now about potential buyers wanting a property with good feng shui. Its not just the chinese market, plenty of other south east Asian markets in particular have similar beliefs. How important is this stuff really?

Actually under Chinese beliefs, your "fate" is the most important thing. If you are destined to succeed, you will encounter good fengshui. If you are destined for failure, you will encounter bad fengshui any way.

Back