Ferny Grove, Upper Kedron and Capalaba

I am in Sydney and will be looking at new House and Land package for us living there in the next 6 months to 1 year or so.

We are thinking Ferny Grove (400sqm ish), Upper Kedron (800sqm++), or Capalaba (not sure about the size), any advices on those area?

Thanks

I don't know anything about the l&h packages in these areas.. but can say I really like the Ferny Grove area, in particular Upper Kedron. I've cycled through there many times and dreamt of building an architecturally designed house in the hills. The appeal of the area for me is that it's tucked away from the hustle and bustle, sparsely populated, hilly, leafy and yet still close to the train line and not too far from the cbd.

Buying into an estate where you the houses are packed wouldn't be ideal though..

Is it a particular lifestyle you're after in this area or you're still looking at this as investment?

In relation to Capalaba, I would personally invest closer to the coast (manly/thornside/birkdale/wellington point/ormiston). They are all less then 5 minutes drive from Capalaba however have the added advantage of sea breezes and the all important railway (connecting renters to the city).

Of the lot, I think Manly / Ormiston / Wellington Point are probably the most blue chip (and most pricey if your buying on the coastal side of the rail tracks), however Birkdale has a nice pocket around Bath st which on the coast/walking distance away.

Keep in mind however that the coast in the redlands is not the white sandy beaches, its most mangroves however it doesnt change the fact that its nice to walk by the ocean with the dogs etc.

With regards to Upper Kedron, I remember reading about a 1000+ lot subdivision going in at some stage in the not too distant future. Cedar Woods or Cedar Grove it was called?

Might make the already busy drive in to the city along Samford Rd even worse?

Ferny Grove will probably be affected too.

I don't know anything about the l&h packages in these areas.. but can say I really like the Ferny Grove area, in particular Upper Kedron. I've cycled through there many times and dreamt of building an architecturally designed house in the hills. The appeal of the area for me is that it's tucked away from the hustle and bustle, sparsely populated, hilly, leafy and yet still close to the train line and not toeso far from the cbd.

Buying into an estate where you the houses are packed wouldn't be ideal though..

Is it a particular lifestyle you're after in this area or you're still looking at this as investment?

Hi I just came back from Brisbane yesterday to have a look on some lands in Ferny, Carseldine, and Upper Kedron. I like very much the Ferny. It is quiet place, but close to CBD.

I will live in the house, so it is not for an investment property.

Please give some more details on living in Ferny if you have.

Thanks

Regarding Ferny Grove - its at the end of the train line, but still close to the cbd. The station was redeveloped with a nice tavern and has plenty of parking. The shops just up the road in Keperra has a Woolies and Aldi. There is a Bunnings yet to be constructed next to the quarry as well.

Not sure about the schools?

Just over the range you have Samford which is even better again.. Lots of cafes and little shops then stretches out into large acreages with horse riding facilities and the like.

If its mainly lifestyle you're after I don't think you can go wrong.

Are you set on buying a new build? When I was looking there about a year ago I was seeing 80's brick architecturally designed homes (think tall raking ceilings) 4bed + pool listed for about $450k.. I guess its move a bit since then.

Regarding Ferny Grove - its at the end of the train line, but still close to the cbd. The station was redeveloped with a nice tavern and has plenty of parking. The shops just up the road in Keperra has a Woolies and Aldi. There is a Bunnings yet to be constructed next to the quarry as well.

Not sure about the schools?

Just over the range you have Samford which is even better again.. Lots of cafes and little shops then stretches out into large acreages with horse riding facilities and the like.

If its mainly lifestyle you're after I don't think you can go wrong.

Are you set on buying a new build? When I was looking there about a year ago I was seeing 80's brick architecturally designed homes (think tall raking ceilings) 4bed + pool listed for about $450k.. I guess its move a bit since then.

It is/has been developing then. Yes I am looking to build a new house, so trying to find land now.

I went to Samford yesterday actually on the way to Brendale, it is pretty quiet, maybe too quiet to me, and I also need public transport to work in CBD or other places.

Lived in Ferny Hills for many a year. Ferny grove is a good spot, handy to the CBD on the train. Not sure theres much new land available though? Its an older suburb. Upper kedron has acres of new housing going up. Had a look around about 6 months ago. New houses everywhere on small blocks. I believe there is a new road coming that will provide better access and also an upgrade of Samford Rd is currently underway. Samford rd is a horrible crawl during peak hours. Upper Kedron is a fair way from the train station, might have a good bus link going in but will still be stuck in traffic. Dont know anything about Capalba (its south side). The south side of Brisbane has a better public transport system network to the CBD IMO. Check bus and train network. Cheers, nat

I have a IP in Ferny Hills which seems to be the poor cousin to Ferny Grove. Neither suburb has done well in terms of capital growth in recent years but that should pick up shortly. My IPs in Sunnbank Hills and Kedron (of course) have done way better but Ferny is a nice green space with lots of large homes on big blocks ripe for renovation which young couples love. It is also not too far from CBD - lots of young families moving into the area as the schools are good and shopping facilities are excellent. If it is to be your PPOR, then it would be a good long term investment.

Personal opinion is that for H&L packages for PPOR - Upper Kedron is better than FG.

Personal opinion is that for H&L packages for PPOR - Upper Kedron is better than FG.

Hi there,

Why is that? The price is pretty similar for land. I went to Upper Kedron to Jarrah Estate in Cedar Creek, leftover land available are bigger lots but not level, and quite challenging to build there. My wife likes FG better because it is like a small town where schools, shopping town, child care centre are nearby and within walking distance.

Upper Kedron is a fair way from the train station, might have a good bus link going in but will still be stuck in traffic.

I used to live in Brisbane 7 years ago back at uni time, I lived of course in St Lucia, somehow I never feel comfortable with South part of Brisbane - I prefer North more.

I will very likely work around CBD hence train is the best option for me perhaps in term of transport. I prefer FG more than Upper Kedron mainly because of the transport as well.

I am just contemplating building $300K a brand new two-storey house in Ferny Grove will be good value or not.

Last edited:
Hi there,

Why is that? The price is pretty similar for land. I went to Upper Kedron to Jarrah Estate in Cedar Creek, leftover land available are bigger lots but not level, and quite challenging to build there. My wife likes FG better because it is like a small town where schools, shopping town, child care centre are nearby and within walking distance.

I think Upper Kedron is an interesting are - there have been lots of new estates offered for sale over the last few years. FG is more established but in long term, I think Upper K will grow faster and have to develop better facilities and eventually will a more desirable suburb than FG which will look a bit tired. Yes Upper K is more challenging but that will ultimately be its appeal. I guess if this is not an IP you are purchasing, there will be more emotion in it for you - you have to choose which works best for you. If you buy new - you will have to hold for quite a while.

I think Upper Kedron is an interesting are - there have been lots of new estates offered for sale over the last few years. FG is more established but in long term, I think Upper K will grow faster and have to develop better facilities and eventually will a more desirable suburb than FG which will look a bit tired. Yes Upper K is more challenging but that will ultimately be its appeal. I guess if this is not an IP you are purchasing, there will be more emotion in it for you - you have to choose which works best for you. If you buy new - you will have to hold for quite a while.

I think if they build a train station in Upper Kedron, it would be a game changing. Of course same can be said, if train line will be extended until Samford - Samford will be the best value in town.

We are purchasing this land actually a bit in hurry, so I cannot wait until like 1 year from now for the house to be built. Jarrah Estate in Upper Kedron can only be registered in April next year, probably not until 2016, everything will be done.

Is FG or Upper Kedron prone to bushfire?

There's pretty much zero chance of the train line extending to Samford or Upper Kedron. They've only just finished completion (last year) of the Ferny Grove station intended to be the terminus.

Upper Kedorn is quite hilly and to get to Samford you have to go over a range.. for an interesting read check out the Camp Mountain Rail Accident. It's now a nice cycling route :) It would be far too expensive to build a train line over.

It's a quick drive over and there is plenty of parking at FG.. I know you previously mentioned Samford may be too quiet, but it would be great value.

There's pretty much zero chance of the train line extending to Samford or Upper Kedron. They've only just finished completion (last year) of the Ferny Grove station intended to be the terminus.

Upper Kedorn is quite hilly and to get to Samford you have to go over a range.. for an interesting read check out the Camp Mountain Rail Accident. It's now a nice cycling route :) It would be far too expensive to build a train line over.

It's a quick drive over and there is plenty of parking at FG.. I know you previously mentioned Samford may be too quiet, but it would be great value.

Agreed. Zero chance of trains at either of those locations.

OP, neither are prone to serious bush fire.

A bit of Tuesday morning trivia, there actually used to be a railway line out to Samford. Where the Samford museum is currently located used to be the station.
Not much chance of this being re-built any time soon IMO.

$380k seems a bit on the expensive side, but depends if it's in a new suburb or not. Was looking at a 400m2 block in Keperra a few months back for $280k. Flat block and close to transport/shopping etc. But houses around it on larger allotments were selling from $350-450k, so better option to buy a house with potential. Once again, this is for IP rather than PPOR.

$380k seems a bit on the expensive side, but depends if it's in a new suburb or not. Was looking at a 400m2 block in Keperra a few months back for $280k. Flat block and close to transport/shopping etc. But houses around it on larger allotments were selling from $350-450k, so better option to buy a house with potential. Once again, this is for IP rather than PPOR.

Bit wondering why Keperra is much cheaper compared to Mitchelton or Ferny Grove

Back