Few questions on land

Hi everyone,

It?s my first post here and I?d just like to say thanks for having me here. I'm currently looking into buying my first property. I really just want to buy some land to hold on to for the future. Cheap land. I?m not well educated on real estate and would just like a few peoples general opinion on a few things.

I've come across a piece of land that is zoned for horticulture. It is STCA on both sheds and houses but this doesn't really bother me. I wouldn't mind building a shed/garage in the future so I could store a few things there for a bit of planting/farming. But it doesn't bother me sleeping in a tent on the weekends that I wanted to get away for a bit of gardening. I just guess that 20 years in the future I?d have a hope of building some kind of structure on it. Is this an unreasonable assumption?

There's no electricity turned on at the property but the nearest pole is 20 metres away. As my current situation is I don?t really need any now anyway.
There are two things that have stumped me though and they are the water and rates.

I have been told that rates are $580 and that council rates are $290 pa. What are the difference between the two. Is it right to assume that the total rates on the property per annum are $580 + $290?
The other thing I am confused about is that the real estate agent has told me that

the water delivery rights are 12 mega litres per annum but I need to lease annually to my needs for $60 per mega litre. Then it says the water allocation per annum is NIL. So I'm confused do I tell the council I want X amount of mega literes in the beginning of the year and if so do I pay just $60 per mega litre or is it a $60 fee + water usage? Or do I have no water rights at all?

The property was previously a citrus property but has been neglected for some time. So if you know of any other questions I should be asking it would be great. Sorry to come in asking lots of questions, I have done some research but have hit a brick wall on google. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back