FF points for normal transactions

Hi gang,

Just stumbled upon http://www.qantascash.com/ which is a Mastercard Debit Card, ie its loaded with your own money and not a credit card. You can then buy everything you normally would and get FF points.

It earns 1 FF for every $1 spent overseas or half a point in Aust.
It can also be loaded with other currencies.

Doesnt have any ongoing fees from what I can tell, just a monthly fee if account has been inactive for the month prior and also an overdrawn fee.
It can also pull money from any ATM without fees.

Whats the catch?

I use this for overseas. It means I can buy my foreign currency online and top up online when I am away, which suits me.

It also means I can buy when the Australian dollar is high and sit on it until I go away.

I tried it out with Australian dollars and it cost me $2.50 to withdraw from an ATM but if I use it to pay for items apparently I don 't pay.

You pay for the currency via BPay but it takes 2 days to actually come through to the card. So you need to load it up a few days prior to flying out.

Chris

Fees or not, $2 per 1 qf point is as bad as it gets

I'm still looking for $1 per 1 point with no annual fee or very cheap

Fees or not, $2 per 1 qf point is as bad as it gets

I'm still looking for $1 per 1 point with no annual fee or very cheap

For everything else that generates points you have to actually do something. Whereas this is everyday spending.

And i dont want a credit card. I have 0.

Hi gang,

Just stumbled upon http://www.qantascash.com/ which is a Mastercard Debit Card, ie its loaded with your own money and not a credit card. You can then buy everything you normally would and get FF points.

It earns 1 FF for every $1 spent overseas or half a point in Aust.
It can also be loaded with other currencies.

Doesnt have any ongoing fees from what I can tell, just a monthly fee if account has been inactive for the month prior and also an overdrawn fee.
It can also pull money from any ATM without fees.

Whats the catch?

No catch but don't try comparing it to points that you would get from a normal credit card. It does make a good OS travel card.
I have one (doubles as my Qantas FF card) and so I'm thinking of loading it with Yen for Japan

For everything else that generates points you have to actually do something. Whereas this is everyday spending.

And i dont want a credit card. I have 0.

I didn't want a credit card either but got one recently and get 1 point for each 1$ and overseas 3 points,though i didn't get the card for the points.I weighed it up and seem more practical to have my cash in the offset and use the banks cash during the interest free period.The yearly fee outweighs the benefits.
Back to the points though,what is 100,000 points worth 1000$?IE:1 cent per point?I dunno.
Cheers Spades.

Last edited:
Back to the points though,what is 100,000 points worth 1000$?IE:1 cent per point?I dunno.
depends on how you redeem them.

with virgin you can buy return tickets for 6 adults to fly to sydney, inc taxes
which roughly amounts to 2100

or you can buy 2 x 32GB ipod touch which will be about $600

No catch but don't try comparing it to points that you would get from a normal credit card. It does make a good OS travel card.
I have one (doubles as my Qantas FF card) and so I'm thinking of loading it with Yen for Japan

ok, ive read the fine print and im still confused on what it actually is

assuming I dont care about australian spending,

can I use this as an efficient ATM card or purchase card when im overseas??

eg can I go to the bank andsay put $5000 in USD because Im going for a holiday there soon? eg I dont want to get charged 2.5% everytime I put anything on the credit card

depends on how you redeem them.

with virgin you can buy return tickets for 6 adults to fly to sydney, inc taxes
which roughly amounts to 2100

or you can buy 2 x 32GB ipod touch which will be about $600

Hi Strannik,
Thanks...On another thread i think it was averaged at 1.3 cents per 1 point which btw fits in with your 2 examples roughly.

I think the points are more so applicable if your going over seas rather than someone just spending in oz nor considering traveling abroad.

There is away to do it via 2 cards but i'm yet to find an all in one

Cheers Spades.

ok, ive read the fine print and im still confused on what it actually is

assuming I dont care about australian spending,

can I use this as an efficient ATM card or purchase card when im overseas??

eg can I go to the bank andsay put $5000 in USD because Im going for a holiday there soon? eg I dont want to get charged 2.5% everytime I put anything on the credit card

Yes.
You can transfer money to it online and use it overseas.

Back