FF points for paying mortgage!

Seems like a pretty clever idea :p

A mortgage sweetener they're hoping will fly

Date October 9, 2013
Alexandra Cain

Your new mortgage could earn you frequent-flyer points.

It seems too good to be true, but it's now possible to earn frequent flyer points by paying off your mortgage.

Qantas Frequent Flyer and Macquarie Bank have joined forces with the new Macquarie Bank Flyer Home Loan. Borrowers who take out the loan will earn 10,000 Qantas points for every $100,000 borrowed at the time a property settles.

If the balance is more than $150,000, points also accrue throughout the course of the loan. Borrowers earn 1000 points each month and an extra 25,000 bonus points three and five years into the loan.

So a home loan of $350,000 will earn 35,000 points at settlement, which Macquarie says is enough to redeem a business-class flight from Melbourne to Sydney return (32,000 points plus $69.94 fees, charges and taxes).

Macquarie Bank's head of personal banking, Tony Graham, says the number of points a borrower can accrue through a mortgage is not capped, which means if you have a $1 million mortgage, you'll earn 100,000 points at the time the loan settles, plus the monthly and bonus points.

Graham says he's expecting people to switch to the loan just to get access to the points, with target markets new property buyers and people refinancing loans.

''We're looking for differentiation in the market,'' he says. ''Consumers like frequent flyer points and travel is a high priority for people who invest in property. It's a good combination and an innovative way to help those who like to travel.''

There are no switching or application fees attached to the loan.

Macquarie isn't the only bank pitching to people in the market for a home loan. Westpac's head of home ownership, Melanie Evans, is encouraging borrowers to use the bank's online calculators to work out how to reduce the life of their loans.

''Simply paying off an extra $100 a month could save up to four years off your loan and around $43,000 on an average $300,000, 30-year loan, assuming a 5.28 per cent per annum interest rate,'' she says.

''Paying off the same loan fortnightly rather than monthly would save up to five years and around $53,000 in interest.'' At NAB, the general manager, consumer lending products, Melissa Reynolds, claims the bank has had the most competitive standard variable home loan rate for more than four years.

It is also waiving application fees on its base variable home loan, she says. For customers applying for a home loan through a mortgage broker, it's also doing away with the Homeside HomePlus application fee of $600 for loans of more than $250,000.

At ANZ, people in the market for a home loan should be aware of its ANZ Buy Ready product, which packages all the elements needed to snap up a property at auction. This includes approval in principle for a home loan, so buyers know how much they can spend while bidding for a property. It also comprises a property profile report, so buyers know how much their current property is worth and about how much the property they're looking at is worth.

CBA is launching a new everyday offset account feature in October.

The bank claims it will be the only one of its kind among the major banks because it allows multiple transaction accounts to be fully offset against the customer's home loan.

Expect more announcements from the banks about home-loan innovations as they compete for a slice of action and as residential lending continues to heat up.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/money/plan...ng-will-fly-20131008-2v4r6.html#ixzz2hB7ZS1Lg

It's a great marketing idea, like most rewards points programs. On the other hand I'd encourage you to consider the actual cost...

Your average frequent flyer point is worth about 1.1 - 1.3 cents. (Source: http://www.ausbt.com.au/what-is-a-qantas-frequent-flyer-point-worth)

The Macquarie FF product is priced 0.05% higher than their regular product and the minimum loan amount is $150k. The cost of the extra interest on the minimum loan amount is $75 per month, or 7,500 cents.

For an extra $75 per month you should be getting at between 5,769 and 6,818 points per month, but they're only giving you 1,000 points. To put in another way, you're paying $75 extra for something worth about $13 in the best case scenario.

If the loan amount is more than $150,000 you're even further behind.

Sure you do get a nice boost to your points at settlement, but this is negated within 1 month for every $60k you borrow. If you borrow $300k, you're behind once the loan is 5 months old.

It's an innovative product and a great idea for Maquarie and even Qantas because everyone loves to get something which they believe is for free; but it's a rip off for the consumer.

It's a great marketing idea, like most rewards points programs. On the other hand I'd encourage you to consider the actual cost...

Your average frequent flyer point is worth about 1.1 - 1.3 cents. (Source: http://www.ausbt.com.au/what-is-a-qantas-frequent-flyer-point-worth)

The Macquarie FF product is priced 0.05% higher than their regular product and the minimum loan amount is $150k. The cost of the extra interest on the minimum loan amount is $75 per month, or 7,500 cents.

For an extra $75 per month you should be getting at between 5,769 and 6,818 points per month, but they're only giving you 1,000 points. To put in another way, you're paying $75 extra for something worth about $13 in the best case scenario.

If the loan amount is more than $150,000 you're even further behind.

Sure you do get a nice boost to your points at settlement, but this is negated within 1 month for every $60k you borrow. If you borrow $300k, you're behind once the loan is 5 months old.

It's an innovative product and a great idea for Maquarie and even Qantas because everyone loves to get something which they believe is for free; but it's a rip off for the consumer.

Makes sense. Thanks for pointing that out :p

I was suckered in by a Macquarie product once before. I learned my lesson.

Something for nothing? No way. Not with those sharks.

Blacky

I was suckered in by a Macquarie product once before. I learned my lesson.

Something for nothing? No way. Not with those sharks.

Blacky

LOL - I was going to type a similar thing then cancelled my post. now that you have gone for it, so will I. Anything these clowns touch is bound to turn to trouble. I could write a book about it. Unfortunately they have stuffed me over 3 times now - all for very different reasons.

Now if the repayments could earn Reward points that would be something :)

A reasonable deal would be to have the same interest rate as the regular product, and simply give you one point for every dollar you spend, but it repayments, fees, etc.

Anything less that that wouldn't be worthwhile.

Despite all this, I'm very inclined to agree with Blacky & Ausprop. Based on their history, there's got to be a very good reason to deal with Mac. There's plenty of competitive alternatives that are more stable.

What did I miss Blacky?
I skim read it at work, if I miss posted I apologise.
Just trying to be a more active member of this thread.

Back