FHB Carlington vs Dulwich Hill OTP

I lived in Carlingford for over 20 years and attended my high school at Carlingford high school too so I can give you some insight.

The OTPs that you are looking at I assume they are located right on Carlingford Road, a very busy and noisy road, and I have seen the massive for lease sign hanging outside one of the newly built apartment for close to 6 months and I think only recently been taken off.

And in terms of schooling, people that live in Carlingford usually send their kids to Carlingford High and Pennant Hills High, both really popular for Asians.

I'm not sure if Carlingford falls within the enrolling radius for James Ruse to be honest, most of my friends were from Pennant hills and Cheltenham High as we have weekly school sports to play against them every Thursday.

And for your budget I think it is impossible to get a 2 bed OTP in Carlingford anymore since they have been swiped out by Chinese buyers.

And agree with Ace, if you are not ready yet just rent and keep saving rather than rush in the market due to panic of losing out.

Local

Hey there,
Whilst I am new to this game I have lived/ went to schcool very close to this property. It has been growing very well and the suburb is definitely going to continue. The light rail has seen interest here jump alot! However this particular property is on a very bad section of Canterbury road. I lived very close to the property on this road once when I was renting as a student and would not recommend it to anyone.
Area: Absolutely!
This Location: not so much.

Hopefully some insight from a local helps?

I lived in Carlingford for over 20 years and attended my high school at Carlingford high school too so I can give you some insight.

I'm not sure if Carlingford falls within the enrolling radius for James Ruse to be honest, most of my friends were from Pennant hills and Cheltenham High as we have weekly school sports to play against them every Thursday.

Hiya

Doesn't matter about enrolling radius; James Ruse is a fully selective school, in other words , just by being in the zone does not entitle you to enrol at the school..trust me, i know, my daughter goes there:)

Easy choice - Dulwich Hill. I lived in Summer Hill for 5 years. Try looking in Summer Hill, Dulwich Hill or Lewisham. All up and coming suburbs and trendy to live in with terrific public transport options into the city.

Always pick a suburb within 10km to the CBD as there will always be demand till the end if time.

In regards to living near James Ruse High School - it does not mean squat as it is fully selective high school and not a public high school. You need to be exceptionally smart to make it in. Please don't base your decision on living in Carlingford on this.

You may want to Consider this too (lower north shore) http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-nsw-lane+cove-118650935
Located in the heart of the village with lots of shops, cafes, restaurants, bar, schools, Gym, aquatic center, park.
Bus interchange is 150m away and its only 15minutes Express to CBD. 5 min away from Chatswood

Area is very nice and and very family oriented... current rent available in the building is 550-600 per week
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-nsw-lane+cove-415682863
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-nsw-lane+cove-415681919
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-nsw-lane+cove-415682311

Sure, I'll be looking around those area using the search engine website for new listings.

Its not just using the search engine for new listings.

You need to get a feel for what the price in the area is at. This way when something is updated (not necessarily newly listed), you are in the position to pounce. (Also make sure you finances are ready).

Last month I secured a house for my sister in Sydney. Houses in the area were already sold for $1.3-$1.4m. I picked this one up for $1.1m. The following two weeks after that, two houses sold for $1.295m and $1.297m.

In comparison, the other houses that sold for more were double brick built in the 1950's. The house purchased was a 1970's cladded house on a larger block.

Its not just using the search engine for new listings.

You need to get a feel for what the price in the area is at. This way when something is updated (not necessarily newly listed), you are in the position to pounce. (Also make sure you finances are ready).

Last month I secured a house for my sister in Sydney. Houses in the area were already sold for $1.3-$1.4m. I picked this one up for $1.1m. The following two weeks after that, two houses sold for $1.295m and $1.297m.

In comparison, the other houses that sold for more were double brick built in the 1950's. The house purchased was a 1970's cladded house on a larger block.

Whoa lucky you mate.
What suburb was that ?

Inner West Sydney - Land size: 500sqm, level block

Whether you feel it was luck is up to you.

There was a fair amount of analysis and understanding the market well in advance. When ad updated (and the price removed), a phone call was made to the agent, deal was made within hours of the open house on the saturday.

I went to house no less than 6 times, each time spending 30 mins surveying the surrounds, measuring noise levels (due to its location - 1 street behind a major road) - during the day and night to verify items that may have deemed it to be less desirable.

Last edited:
Inner West Sydney - Land size: 500sqm, level block

Whether you feel it was luck is up to you.

There was a fair amount of analysis and understanding the market well in advance. When ad updated (and the price removed), a phone call was made to the agent, deal was made within hours of the open house on the saturday.

I went to house no less than 6 times, each time spending 30 mins surveying the surrounds, measuring noise levels (due to its location - 1 street behind a major road) - during the day and night to verify items that may have deemed it to be less desirable.

Whoa.. a land package of 500sqm, you could redevelop / subdivide that into multiple townhouses or smaller apartment units.

Well done nEK :)

Not sure if that is possible to subdivide or build more than 1 dwelling.

Either way, its my sister's PPR, so none of that matters. She wants all 500sqm for herself :)

Not sure if that is possible to subdivide or build more than 1 dwelling.

Either way, its my sister's PPR, so none of that matters. She wants all 500sqm for herself :)

lol, ok no worries with that ;-)
just curious of what large land size can be done with it.

Back