Fibro house external renovation

I have always stayed away from fibro houses, because of asbestos and the possible cost of removal, but now I came across with the house with the bargain price, passed in mortgagee auction a week ago. The house is renovated inside with the newish kitchen and bathroom, polished floorboards and the internal paint is also good condition. It is perfectly rentable as it is and will be cash flow positive.

But it is fibro house and looks tired outside. Also roof (metal) needs either replacing or at least painted. The roof colour has faded. We have always done renos inside not outside, so all good ideas are welcomed...

How can fibro house be made nice and more modern looking outside? Do we need to take fibro out and e.g. Put hardy lank or weatherboards outside or are there some products that can be put straight over cement? Rendering maybe?

Can metal roof be repainted? Currently faded greenish colour looks almost grey.

The idea would be to rent it out for 12-18 months as it is and then renovate and sell or put granny flat on the back of the property (corner block) and keep renting both properties out and maybe later trying to subdivide the block and sell both.

Fibro can be painted in modern colours to really lift it as can the roof. Roof in a darker charcoal colour, exterior in a modern mid grey/coffee with timber trim in same roof charcoal.

Tillie, $60K and you will be able to add an extension, say a rumpus, brick it ALL up and have a new tile roof.

It will put heaps of value on your investment

Do it as an owner builder - don't give your local builder the means to drive another new 4x4.

Last edited:
Fibro can be painted in modern colours to really lift it as can the roof. Roof in a darker charcoal colour, exterior in a modern mid grey/coffee with timber trim in same roof charcoal.

What type of paint I can use on the roof? Is there any specific tricks for the painting process?

Tillie, $60K and you will be able to add an extension, say a rumpus, brick it ALL up and have a new tile roof.

It will put heaps of value on your investment

Do it as an owner builder - don't give your local builder the means to drive another new 4x4.

I was hoping not to spend that much. The absolute maximum budget is 1/2 of that.

You point of ensuite is really valid. The house has a deck under the roof line. The decking runs the full length of the house. It would be really easy to built ensuite under the roofline using the end of the current decking area.

How much the basic (budget) bathroom costs including shower, toilet, mirror, vanity, tiles on the shower, floor and splashback?

I'd allow $10K.

Budget toilet suite $150, vanity $300, shower $500, carpentry and wet walls $2000, plumbing $2000 , electrical $700, tiles/tiling $3000, council/drawings $1000, paint + odds n ends $300,

Get plenty of quotes. You will get a sense of who is a fair dinkum honest tradie and who is a mug.

You can save heaps by DIY where you can. A macerator in the toilet may save $. Also bypassing council can save $.

Brick veneering will require you to change all of the windows due to the increased wall thickness (or shift each window and replace all the reveals & flashings), replacing roof with tiles may also require that the roof be strengthened to take the additional load from the tiles).

Have anyone has experience installing cladding on the top of fibro or do we have to remove fibro before the cladding is installed? How much I should budget for cladding?

Also is the council building approval required if the "extension" is under the existing roofline and floor plan?

Have anyone has experience installing cladding on the top of fibro or do we have to remove fibro before the cladding is installed? How much I should budget for cladding?

Also is the council building approval required if the "extension" is under the existing roofline and floor plan?
With fibro external you would be better to strip it all off and reset all the walls,the only low cost way is too re sheet the external in sheets again,because
once you price up hard-wood weather boards per sqm installed you will be in for a shocker even in second hand materials,the darker you paint fibro external
the better it looks ..imho..

With the roof line-plan in Brisbane they go off the foot-print plan and they have a very strong photo air data base of everything and once you go outside that foot-print council plans problem start,without building permits ,,may take a few years but you will have problems..imho..

I've just cladded a corner of an old house. Some of it was over the old fibro. I used weatherboard sheets. 300 x 4200. About $18 each. These cover a large area very quickly but next time i'll use the 250 mm sheets, the bigger ones look a bit commercial as cladding.

Found it quite quick and easy. 2 person job. I overlapped by 30 mm. Used a $11 diamond cutting wheel on the hand grinder to cut them. Easy!
You will have to either butt up to the window and door frames or take them off and put them back over the boards. I drilled to nail near the edges and used plastic spacers to join the butt ends. Have a look on YouTube. There are some good instructional videos on this.

Back