Fibro houses?

Is your property an IP is so asbestos disposal is a tax deduction and may
work out better for you to have some one do it.

No its not an investment prop .its uncles (he's on a pension ) in & out of a nursing home

we're sprucing the place up with / for him :)

Is your property an IP is so asbestos disposal is a tax deduction and may
work out better for you to have some one do it.

It would be a tax deduction if it was a repair, but not if it was an improvement.

If you had a damaged sheet you could claim removal and repair of that sheet, but to remove and replace the lot I seriously doubt that is covered.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/c...htm&pc=001/002/002/010/005&mnu=&mfp=&st=&cy=1
Example
Tim replaced a fibro wall inside his rental property, which was damaged by tenants, with a brick feature wall.
The new wall is an improvement because Tim did more than just restore the efficient function of the wall. This means Tim cannot claim the cost of the new wall as a repair.
However, had Tim replaced the fibro with a current equivalent such as plasterboard, he could have claimed his costs as a repair. This is because it would have merely restored the efficient function of the wall without changing its character, even though a different material was used.

Dave

It would be a tax deduction if it was a repair, but not if it was an improvement.

If you had a damaged sheet you could claim removal and repair of that sheet, but to remove and replace the lot I seriously doubt that is covered.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/c...htm&pc=001/002/002/010/005&mnu=&mfp=&st=&cy=1

Dave

True Dave.

I got a full tax deduction on the removal of a full house as most of the asbestos sheeting had varying degrees of separation from the nails and was letting moisture in. I documented the damage with many pictures.
I'm yet to tackle my accountant on the cost of re cladding for the following financial year.

there was a 1950's house BUT CLADDED SIMILAR TO ,up the road that was totally demolished by a KATO TRACTOR

& obviuosly taken to the tip / watever

i didnt see any notices etc etc or plastic wrapping going on

it was totally there one day ............totally demolished the next ,cladding & all
no wet suits ,plastic wrapping ,neighbours evactuated ,sirens blaring

so how can a kato crack & split the sheeting ?

be put in a tipper truck without any issues ????????????????????????????????

all that remains is clear flat land in suburbia with houses either side , front &
back

double standards ?????? different rules / regulations ????????

there was a 1950's house BUT CLADDED SIMILAR TO ,up the road that was totally demolished by a KATO TRACTOR

& obviuosly taken to the tip / watever

i didnt see any notices etc etc or plastic wrapping going on

it was totally there one day ............totally demolished the next ,cladding & all
no wet suits ,plastic wrapping ,neighbours evactuated ,sirens blaring

so how can a kato crack & split the sheeting ?

be put in a tipper truck without any issues ????????????????????????????????

all that remains is clear flat land in suburbia with houses either side , front &
back

double standards ?????? different rules / regulations ????????

If this house was being demolished in my street like that and was indeed asbestos I would be contacting council.
Asbestos dust would still be on site and with the right wind direction will blow your way.
See if you can find out more, a soil contamination cleanup will be very expensive if the house was asbestos.

it had the exact cladding as i intend to take off

dont council inspectors see the house before ,during & after demolition ? etc

it's all a bit casual some of this asbestos removal. one place I dozed cost me $10k (the standard demo charge it seems) - I thought they would go in with white suits etc but it was no big deal and there were bits of broken fibro in the soil that was left. On another site they just left the wrapped up asbestos sit there for a long time... makes me nervous

it's all a bit casual some of this asbestos removal. one place I dozed cost me $10k (the standard demo charge it seems) - I thought they would go in with white suits etc but it was no big deal and there were bits of broken fibro in the soil that was left. On another site they just left the wrapped up asbestos sit there for a long time... makes me nervous

Reminds me of when we got "The Experts" to get rid of the super6 roof prior to moving a house to a vacant block across town.

We pulls up in car on a hot day and see's experts, now with coveralls down to waist and masks off, dropping fibro sheets in black plastic on ground, large cloud of dust rises and blows slowly towards us, and neighbors houses :eek:.
We plant foot and bugger off for long lunch.

After long lunch we drive back and see half of our house coming towards us through the middle of town (thought they would do an early am move) with large cloud of presumably asbestos laden dust billowing out of the once roof area.
We plant foot and holds breath until past :eek:.

They charged us $1000, so no complaints from us, though I cant imagine what they did with the old roof for that price.

Dave

ive had several fibro houses over the years with substancial renovations that took place.

few small issues:

gap seal the manhole and in between every sheet for added safety..plus it looks way better when painted. also gap seal skirting boards...dust drops over time.

fibro is fine once sealed with paint but a huge issue if anyone has to go up through a manhole.

tip: if drilling fibro mark the hole, add sticky tape over where the hole is being drilled, drill the hole...helps keep the dust inside the walls to some degree....

you only need one fibre to get into your lungs as everyone should know by now! (Stuff James Hardy!!!! $$$$$ before peoples lives)

i should be a dead man walking i suspect actually having not given a damm years ago when renovating.....dumb *** know all renovator in the 80's who was unaware!

good luck with it.

Another old thread bumping!!!

Saw this house on the market and everything's perfect except its a fibro house. Should i avoid it? Does fibro house actually affect the property value??

Also, we will have plan to extend the house if we did get this place. As far as i know, tearing off fibro's troublesome, does it cost alot more to take down a wall than other material say weatherboard...

Saw this house on the market and everything's perfect except its a fibro house. Should i avoid it?
No

Does fibro house actually affect the property value??
No

Also, we will have plan to extend the house if we did get this place. As far as i know, tearing off fibro's troublesome, does it cost alot more to take down a wall than other material say weatherboard...
Yes it costs more to remove and dispose of.

fake brick

Hey, I have the fake brick on my place and was wonderin if there is aspestos in the brick itself? Iv done some reading and all I can find is about the aspestos backing sheets. mine is fake brick on a painted plywood backing.

Hey, I have the fake brick on my place and was wonderin if there is aspestos in the brick itself? Iv done some reading and all I can find is about the aspestos backing sheets. mine is fake brick on a painted plywood backing.

Might be different in NZ, the only fake brick Ive seen here is asbestos
lined with the the fake bricks glued onto sheet.Not sure what material
is used for the actual fake brick,maybe resin based.

Back