Fibro houses

I've always preferred brick and tile for lower maintenance, etc, but to buy houses rather than units in the areas I would prefer at the moment I am limited to much older housing and that includes a mix of fibro houses, or cladding with fibro internal.

Apart from the asbestos issues, are there any pros/cons comparing these two older options (in areas that have a high concentration of them)? Does fibro require more maintenance, etc? Any significant problems with getting tenants/resale, etc?

If you're worried about the look, clad them.
Inside a fibro i find usually horsehair gybrock... could be wrong though.

But in terms of maintenance, zero. My opinion is that Asbestos is generally safe if not broken. Just don't go around breaking it and then sniff in the fibres :)

Last edited:
But in terms of maintenance, zero. Asbestos is safe. Just don't go around breaking it and then sniff in the fibres

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Irresponsible comment NEK, in friable or poor condition it is a dangerous material though the effects of exposure are not immediate. Care should always be taken when working with asbestos - eradicate whenever possible.

The look of them doesn't worry me too much, it's more the stigma of asbestos and the upkeep.

On that note, I've just had a great:rolleyes: conversation with a real dooms-dayer who says he wouldn't touch fibro properties - apparently too risky in case tenants go and put holes in wall and inhale then try and blame/sue landlord! I tried to question the likelihood of that being proved/pinned on a particular landlord for a particular event some 20yrs later....but of course there would be a way! (I don't think he's actually known it to happen, just very *helpfully*:rolleyes: pointing out all of the absolute worst case scenarios)

I can think of a few other things that could potentially come up a lot more immediately than 20yrs as a landlord that insurance would cover, but apparenly insurance doesn't cover aspestos-related claims (not that I've checked my policy!).....whilst totally over the top, we are in an increasingly litigious society, so before I dismiss this completely has anyone heard of anything like this before or do anything to try and 'cover' themselves/minimise risk?

fair call scott.
In my opinion, I do not think asbestos is as dangerous as its made to sound.

When renovating existing fibro houses, extra care needs to be taken.
But with all things in life, take care when doing things. Don't do stupid things. If you need to ask if its stupid, then it probably is.

I think its bit over zealous to say eradicate whenever possible - Anything is possible with money.

I've clad over my asbestos sheeting, so its not visible nor is it accessible.... unless of course you start breaking walls.

As kids we used to graffiti the road with broken bits of fibro.

No affect on me! I'm in perfect health apart from this nagging cough...cough, cough....time for a Winfield, anyhow...

Maybe extra expense when doing renovations but other than that,old style fibro is so much more stronger that the modern hardi-flex and if it solid it usually no problem
That's just my opinion,.

With the doomsday-er spreading the word of death if you even look at asbestos fibro maybe in the future these houses will be avoided and scorned.

Even brick houses have asbestos, so have old offices, shops, hospitals, schools. Heck, even an old car could have asbestos. Better to live in a bubble.

Whatever happened to the "lead" and "old termite pesticides" debate amongst renovators.....

Asbestos contamination is just one of the many considerations that a owner/landlord must consider in his due diligence.
I have a number of properties with asbestos roof and cladding that are easily rented with no comment about "asbestos" from the tenant.

As other posters have said - it is fine when left sealed & undisturbed.

Yeah, and what about the sniffs of petrol you get everytime you fill your car? Media don't talk much of that.

Arr ya ya ya ya......I just filled up 60 litres!

First we kill (sorry silence in a PC way) all the lawyers......

If the asbestos (which is a naturally occuring material) is bound by cement (and a surface layer of paint) and is in good condition then the chances of it being a risk to human health is very low. If it is drilled, broken or friable then yes it poses an increased risk. Brown, blue and other types of 'wool like' asbestos used in lagging pipes are the real risks and should be avoided at all cost.

The present situation of disportionate fear about asbestos (sheeting) is driven (in my opinion) by lawyers not being able to make money from understanding exposure probability distribution curves, and not being able to get a favourable ruling, as the legal member is equally daft with maths.

Hence, the belief that a single fibre of asbestos can kill and the result that bonded asbestos is a serious risk, is prevalent in society. It's about as irrelevant in practical risk management as 'every k over is a killer'....when in fact it is driver distraction and road intercections that generate most road accidents.....but this is a complex story for another time , and is not as easy to describe as pointing a radar gun at a speeding motorist.

Same with asbestos (and toxic mould if your didn't already know) the risks are not readily quantifiable, hence insurance companies (who only insure a know, quantifyable risk) just exclude them in cover.

The real risks to life in this country in this day an age are cancer and obesity causing heart attack et al....

All said and done, it the budget allows because of market perceptions allow $10k-15k to strip a medium size house of all fibro sheet. Allow $20k for resinstatment of asbestos free materials.....

Even brick houses have asbestos, so have old offices, shops, hospitals, schools. Heck, even an old car could have asbestos. Better to live in a bubble.

The cars recently imported from China under the 'Great Wall' & 'Chery' brands have asbestos gaskets and other bits - check it out and here

I bet you're glad that you bought that cheap ute now Datto ;)

The present situation of disportionate fear about asbestos (sheeting) is driven (in my opinion) by lawyers not being able to make money from understanding exposure probability distribution curves, and not being able to get a favourable ruling, as the legal member is equally daft with maths.

Hence, the belief that a single fibre of asbestos can kill and the result that bonded asbestos is a serious risk, is prevalent in society. It's about as irrelevant in practical risk management as 'every k over is a killer'....when in fact it is driver distraction and road intercections that generate most road accidents.....but this is a complex story for another time , and is not as easy to describe as pointing a radar gun at a speeding motorist.

That is the line peddled by the BLF/BWIU, not the lawyers. Generally I would agree with you SC, it was a great natural fibre which copped a bad rap due to poor materials handling practices and poor/non-existent OHS (if they wore masks/disposable gear etc many of these issues would not be obvious).

Agreed- the hype over asbestos in this country is quite crazy. Even in QLD, where we're allowed to remove 10sqm without a licence...really, if you take the same precautions, why can't you remove 20sqm? 50sqm? A lot of houses and buildings around us every day have asbestos. Most people aren't even aware until you tell them.

Most asbestos we come across in residential properties are in the form of non-friable, bound cement sheets. If you apply common sense and don't go sticking angle grinders into your walls and sniffing it, it's okay.

You can even 'relatively' safely drill into asbestos sheets on a slow speed, spray the hole with shaving cream and drill through a cup, etc. Even just keeping a spray over where you're drilling helps a lot. If you really wanted to, you can mix a solution of PVA glue and water and spray the other side of what you drilled into.

I'd say mechanics are at a lot more risk than renovators in terms of contracting asbestosis...old brakes, clutch lining, gaskets and the like.

Back