Filthy Tenants absconded on the weekend

What's the bet it was bought on credit and they have just stopped paying, if they ever paid anything at all. Could have been one of those nothing to pay for two years kind of deals.

there is absolutely no way i would let this rest...that is the problem with many investors, they are happy to let insurance companies pick up the tab............

this is why investing in property has a bad image often..

Chase the tenant, its easily done, take photos of all damage, take the scum to small claims and make them accountable...

any criminal damage should be reported to police...

I note your place is not too bad but most people just say insurance will cover it...defeats the purpose...these scummy tenants will only go and do the same thing to others,,

make them accountable, they will soon learn not to destroy others property and will help in cutting down on issues like this.

I was talking to PM about this today, she said she has sent ex tenants a text msg, and left a voice mail to try and recover the costs from them. We have buckley's of them coughing up, so will be claiming on insurance. If they didn't make contact with her by this afternoon, she is going to get them blacklisted.
I know what you mean by making them accountable, but it is hard to get blood out of a stone.

PM advises that the $1500 bond should cover most if not all the cleaning, and the damage will be claimed as malicious damage.
On the upside, looks like we have two lots of potential tenants wanting the house as soon as it is ready, and I have upped the rent by $20/wk.
The runaways also left behind a nearly new Fisher and Paykel dishwasher.

When I read this, I immediately thought of Basil Fawlty saying "for once in my life, I am ahead" when Mrs Richards left her money in the vase......

I was talking to PM about this today, she said she has sent ex tenants a text msg, and left a voice mail to try and recover the costs from them. We have buckley's of them coughing up, so will be claiming on insurance. If they didn't make contact with her by this afternoon, she is going to get them blacklisted.
I know what you mean by making them accountable, but it is hard to get blood out of a stone.

Angela, it is actually not difficult actually...You just need to go to a courthouse and request small claims forms..from there the tenant will be issued with a summons to appear in court..if they fail then the court will act to recover moneys oweing by any means legally available including selling goods owned by them..

I have had to go to court twice last 10 years..had two wins.

If you go ensure you have photographic evidence and get your agent to go, if they refuse subpoena them...

If more people used the claims court the less drama there would be long term for investors..

best of luck..insurance is a cop out, make them cough up!

How do you find them if they dont leave a forwarding address?:confused:

Its to much trouble for the PManager to chase, even though they let the place get filthy. Maybe its time to find another PM before it happens again.:D

Its not difficult to find anyone....I have an investigator we use for work related business..he can source absolutely anything about anyone especially when they move..wont say how its done but it is a definite......outlay usually under $200 bucks...

dole bludgers are a specialty and easy to trace....

keep in mind once you submit a small claim form through the courts, its processed and handled legally.. whoever is handling the summons will have access to trace people.

its well worth considering i guarantee.

last time i used the small claims it cost 60 bucks or so..maybe a bit more now...

Back