Final inspection . Vendor hasnt maintained property well

Hi , Final inspection tomorrow (afternoon settlement) and the gardens are a mess. On auction day (nsw) lawns and garden very neat .

Thats not so bad i guess, but whats bothering me is a large (44 gallon) drum that seems to be full of used oil sitting near the garage.

Surely i cant be responsible for disposal of waste oil .

How are these situations sorted? Do the conveyancers agree to a dollar amount to cover costs?
Thanks

Last edited:
I have wondered about this so interested to find out.

I can't see these issues as a reason to delay settlement, guessing at best you could withhold a portion of funds to the value required to clean up the property to the condition it was when you purchased. That is just my GUESS via my own crazy heads logic. Hopefully someone with half a clue comes along soon. Otherwise speak with your conveyancer/solicitor.

We were able through our conveyancer to have our last NSW property cleaned up to the same standard as of the auction date.

However, we did have time and date stamped photographs from the day and then did the same two days before settlement. We arranged quotes to have rectification works back to what we purchased.

Premises and gardens cleaned up and we were able to settle on the nominated date.

Thats not so bad i guess, but whats bothering me is a large (44 gallon) drum that seems to be full of used oil sitting near the garage.

Surely i cant be responsible for disposal of waste oil .

Thanks

You can sue for abandoned goods, your solicitor should be able to advise

We were able through our conveyancer to have our last NSW property cleaned up to the same standard as of the auction date.

However, we did have time and date stamped photographs from the day and then did the same two days before settlement. We arranged quotes to have rectification works back to what we purchased.

Premises and gardens cleaned up and we were able to settle on the nominated date.

Hi I did run this issue past my conveyancer a couple of weeks ago when it became obvious no one was maintaining the property.

Basically she said not much can be done until its presented on final inspection .

Last edited:
Hi I did run this issue past my conveyancer a couple of weeks ago when it became obvious no one was maintaining the property.

Basically she said not much can be done until its presented on final inspection .

And they are right because the vendor still has time on their side to rectify.

Have a talk to the selling agent to see whether their client has any intention to clean up.

I wouldn't worry too much about the garden, but I'm sure you can let your lawyer know that you won't settle until the drum of oil is removed.

I wouldn't worry too much about the garden, but I'm sure you can let your lawyer know that you won't settle until the drum of oil is removed.

I'm with skater on this. I know that a quick mow and tidy up will clear any growth since contract date (how much growth can happen in a month?), but the drum of oil is an unknown and the cost to clean it or dump it "could" be costly.

You CAN make them remove the drum of oil or hold money back from the settlement monies to cover the cost, if the vendor won't do it.....as you are buying with "vacant" possession.

Mowing the grass or weeding the gardens is slightly harder to enforce legally. If the vendor can be bluffed into doing it - fine. But legally, probably not much you can do about lawns.

This is good advice and your conveyancer is correct. You can ask your conveyancer to put it to the vendors side to withhold some of the deposit funds usually held in trust by the agent to cover any expenses. I'd advise to ensure you have receipts thou to ensure there is no hassle getting your money back.

Sounds like you have good advice anyways, good luck!

Thanks for your answers, really unaware bluffing may be required to get gardens back to auction day standard.

Settlement has been delayed 2 days to allow vendor to remove oil drum and tidy up gardens. Inside was also alot of rubbish , old sofas cupboards etc.

One key was provided that opened the front door only, despite numerous doors and locked gates on the property.

Thanks for your answers, really unaware bluffing may be required to get gardens back to auction day standard.

Settlement has been delayed 2 days to allow vendor to remove oil drum and tidy up gardens. Inside was also alot of rubbish , old sofas cupboards etc.

One key was provided that opened the front door only, despite numerous doors and locked gates on the property.

I would suggest getting new locks on all doors. Who knows how many keys exist and who holds them.

Back