Final inspection woes

The settlement is on next Friday, for which I attended the final inspection of a new PPOR (my first property) that I am buying and am upset about a few things in the house.

How much of lippage (when tiles aren't even or when the grout filling is uneven )in tiles on the floor is acceptable ? I am told the builder can choose to fix whatever he feels like. Is there a law around how flush the tiles can be ?

I was told by the conveyancer that the house should be in pristine condition.
But when I pointed out the dents in the wall and the uneven tiles, the real estate agent says "uhmm, well, this isn't effecting the house structurally. I can show you million $ houses which are similar blah blah blah". The discussion only ended when I told him I wont buy a new car with torn upholstery just because it doesn't infringe the structural integrity of the car !

There used to be a publication called "acceptable standards of construction" published by the Commonwealth Bank - probably still around.

Otherwise you will need to rely on the Australian Standards & the BCA which references these things. Get a clerk of works/building inspection done and they will do the hard yards for you.

As for plasterboard/cement render - dents show up differently and make large shadows depending upon the angle of the lighting.

Thank you for replying.

There used to be a publication called "acceptable standards of construction" published by the Commonwealth Bank - probably still around.

Otherwise you will need to rely on the Australian Standards & the BCA which references these things. Get a clerk of works/building inspection done and they will do the hard yards for you.

As for plasterboard/cement render - dents show up differently and make large shadows depending upon the angle of the lighting.

I will get a building inspection done asap. But - the builder is still at his liberty to fix what he chooses to fix ? Is there no legislation protecting a consumer, guaranteeing that the end product is going to be atleast decently made ?

Its cement rendered - so what I wanted to ask was is it acceptable at all to have new house delivered with dents and dings in a few places ?

Assuming brand new house??

Yes I would get everything fixed. Tiles should be flush, no dents.
Yes, brand new. What if the builder chooses not to address anything ? I was just looking up the schedule of finishes and the fine print says this is the builders intent at the moment and can change anytime.

Don't let the builder get away with this, he is probably hoping you will just go away. Push the issue, take photos and become a nuisance. What does your contract say? In Qld you would contact the BSA for a dispute, I don't know about the NT?

Back