Finally moved in!!

Well, as of last Friday, we are officially in our new PPOR.

We settled on the sale of our old one (3BR+study) on 20th Jan, and the settlement for the new purchase was 29th Feb.

So for about 7 weeks we had to find somewhere else to live. Friend had a 2BR cottage in the middle of town available which we moved to (fanTAStic location) but it was DIRE! Words cannot adequately explain but I'll list a few of the more obvious faults:
  • Front door had no key, so we could only open it from the inside
  • The shower base was installed on the top of another shower base, and it leaked from the underneath somewhere
  • The bathroom window didn't open, so it fogged up at the slightest hint of any warm moisture
  • Kitchen ceiling was only about 7' high (apparently the concrete floor had been poured OVER the existing floorboards) so the smoke detector went off even if you just thought about cooking
  • Laundry ceiling was even lower! (Friend who helped with the moving smacked his head on the baton light fitting)
  • Powerpoints were hanging off the ceiling (yes, ceiling, not wall)
  • Water was rusty
  • 3cm gap in the wall in the toilet - you could see outside - from when the tree had fallen on the house (since tidied up)
  • I had to duck to get through the toilet doorway - and I'm not tall
  • Windows (or walls? never did work it out) in the bedrooms leaked in the rain
  • Light fittings (or batons) hanging off the ceiling or only loosely connected

So despite the poor weather on the weekend, I persevered and moved our stuff - anything to get out of that place.

The new house is 6BR (well, 4BR, study and games room :D) with 2 (large) living areas on 1000m². We can now spread out a bit - woo hoo.

So while I'm grateful to our friend for providing us with the temporary accommodation, I'm even more pleased to get into the new place.

Now it's time to start making it look like a home, by painting over the pink walls/brown trim, and other odds and ends. Of course, every room has at least one empty box or a half-full box, and the garage is a complete shambles, but we'll get there.

Just wanted to share. :)

I'm keen to hear what your friend's place is normally used for? Rental?

What sort of rent would he get for that?

And... congratulations. I love making a house into a home. It takes a while to tweak things to suit, but it is enjoyable.

Congratulations!!

Its hard to believe that we've been in our new PPOR for just over 2 months now. I hope you settle quicker than we have!! Although we have renovations planned, which should finally begin next week, so that has slowed us down a bit!

I'm keen to hear what your friend's place is normally used for? Rental?

What sort of rent would he get for that?

And... congratulations. I love making a house into a home. It takes a while to tweak things to suit, but it is enjoyable.

My friend's son and his wife moved in there when they were first married. They had twins and lived in it until the twins were nearly 2! :eek: It had sat empty for about 3 years. I ended up taking about 8 trailer loads of green waste from the yard!

They DO intend to rent it out, and were using us as a guinea pig to help determine what needs to be done to make it rent-able. It would probably get about $350pw with some of these issues sorted out.

(PS. I was trying to upload a shot, via Streetview, of the front, but the Gallery doesn't seem to be working. I don't want to post the actual address)

See if this attachment works...

Attachments

• Dodgy House.PNG
    Dodgy House.PNG
    732 KB · Views: 90
Look on the bright side, at least it wasn't winter!!
Marg

LOL - true! But, I will say this in the favour of the dodgy house - it had great air conditioning (a unit too big for the area) and has great heating (a great big fake log gas thing).

But luckily we didn't have to PAY to run them for a whole season (well, a good few days of the A/C is all). :p

Back