Finance clause

Just after some advice in regards to a finance clause in a contract I recently signed. We have a 3 week subject to finance clause with a 60 day settlement. I signed on the 19/5, with a finance date of the 9/6. The vendor signed on the 22/5 and I received these contracts on the 28/5 - meaning 9 days has gone from our 21 day finance clause. I've asked the lawyer to change the date to the 18/6 and she has said that she has requested it and "will advise their reply in due course". It is now the 2nd of June and we still haven't heard from the vendors lawyers.

My question is twofold 1) is there anything I can do to make sure the finance clause stands at 3 weeks (at least form vendor signing) 2) in order to avoid this situation in the future should I just cross out the date the clause is up and put "21 days from vendor signing" (or something similar?) or just not sign it until the vendor has?

This is a real pain in the neck. You're being held to ransom by the vendors tardiness. Unfortunately it happens quite often, especially when the agent prepares the contract. I've noticed that a lot of agents are using a modified version of the REIV contract in Victoria, with a list of about 20 'special conditions'. Kind of scary to read through and understand...

For the due date on a finance clause write, "XX working days from acceptance of offer." That way you don't get messed up with public holidays either.

There's probably not much you can do about it at this point, but they will probably be reasonable about a request to extend the finance by another week or two (given that they haven't got their end into gear).

Really shouldn't need to wait to start the application for finance til you have the signed copy. Start the application process without the signed contract, still will allow you to get finance approved ready to roll subject to signed contract... That way no delay.

Otherwise as stated only way would be to work it differently on the contract.

Back