Finance

W

WebBoard

How far is too far?
Date: 3/26/00
Time: 12:37:47 PM

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate some advice. This is a longish note so please bear with me! (Les – if you are reading this I’d love to hear from you. Like so many others have commented your advice is fantastic, and I have personally found it has really helped me. Please keep up the good work!)

OK, here goes! We have one IP and I am keen to get in to a second. Things get a little complicated in that we have sold our current home (settling June 30), and are building a new home. We won’t move in to the new place until late June / early July. We are currently funding the construction of the new home as well as the remaining mortgage on our current home. In addition we are funding the IP with a fixed IO loan. When we settle our current home and finish the new place we will settle the debt on the current housing loan and establish a lower mortgage on the new place.

Being an avid planner I’ve created all the spreadsheets to prove to the bank we can afford to purchase a second property. Affordability is not the key issue. Collateral is the concern – or more to the point the ‘in progress’ nature of our loans, given we are drawing down on a newly established loan to fund construction of our new home. We would be at an 86% LV ratio if we purchased another IP this side of June, requiring mortgage insurance. My belief is that while I don’t like MI, if I need to take it (even $7-$8k as it is likely to be) it is a small price to pay for long term investment. As Jan says, if you need to take MI to get you into a property it is worth it, as it is tax deductible and long term is an insignificant cost of investment.

I’ve been in touch with Bank of Melb, who have all of our loans, including a second mortgage over our current property as collateral for the existing IP. I think they may proceed with finance if we want to purchase a further property however I feel it is going to be an ‘exceptional’ circumstance and a ‘big ask’. I wouldn’t say it is a definite. Not being one to say ‘no’ I met with a broker who was recommended to me, and he claims ‘no bank would touch us’ given we are constructing a home and the existing home is not settled, albeit contractually sold! His advice was to wait until after June and save $20k to use as a deposit for a new IP, and set up a stand alone loan for another IP with a bank other than Bank of Melb. If we can do this we may be able to set the new loan up so that it is 80% LV for the new IP with the IP being the sole collateral, meaning the property is unencumbered. The theory makes sense however here are my concerns :

1. If you are planning to purchase a large property portfolio over time, is it that big an issue that your second (and even third) IP is encumbered to your existing primary residence? My thought is that as your portfolio grows (as does it’s value), and you go through refinancing at various stages, you will have the opportunity to ‘unencumber’ . Why wait?

2. Saving $20k to set this new IP nicely is a good idea however it is going to take us a good 6 months + (being positive here!) to save that amount. We could already have 6 mth capital growth potential up our sleeve if we purchased in the next couple of months.

3. I believe in buying new places in good areas to maximise depreciation and minimise the risk of ‘something going wrong’. The GST doesn’t phase me as property investment is a long term plan. The rationale I use is that if I bought now I would have to pay $7-$8k MI, however post June we MAY be just on 80% LV ratio if we purchased a newly built PI. However we are likely to pay $15k extra in GST on a PI valued at around $170k. Look at it that way and MI is not a big deal. Also as I understand it if you pay MI on all your loans as is required first time around, a further loan at a later point will be the only component of your loans that is subject to MI if you are still over 80%.

4. The broker I spoke to intimated that if we are over 80% LV on our portfolio we are probably ‘in over our head’. I well and truly know my numbers backwards and this is certainly not true. The issue is what the banks may think!

5. Is there sense early on to start splitting your loans up among institutions? Over time I expect to have a few different banks funding IP’s however at this point don’t see it as a big deal if Bank of Melb is holding the lot.

6. Another piece of worldly advice the broker gave me is that as your portfolio grows, the banks start to view your investment as your primary source of income. They then start to apply business loan rules to their criteria, meaning that they may only lend up to 70% of less if you have a sizeable portfolio and want to purchase a further IP. Has anyone had experience with this one?

Sorry for the long note however wanted to get all the broad details on the table to complete the picture. I think this forum is brilliant and has certainly helped me a lot knowing I have a ‘lifeline’ to a lot of people in the same boat! Good luck to all and look forward to hearing from you.

Regards, Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Les

Reply: 1

Re: How far is too far?
Date: 3/26/00
Time: 2:39:41 PM

G'day Bill,

Love your enthusiasm!!! You HAVE to be enthusiastic to be looking for #2 while all of this other "stuff" goes on - and more power to you for having a go!!!

A couple of thoughts, then I'll attack your questions:-

You mentioned $7 - 8k for LMI - that sounds like you are about to borrow $800k ??? For an LOC loan, it is around 2%, and for P & I around 1.2% (Fixed, I'm not sure, but would guess the 1.2 would apply). So for $180k, you should be talking less than $2k for LMI!!!

Have you checked out using Bridging Finance (at maybe 10% +) to tide things over while the dust settles. If such a loan were possible for IP #2, and it were only for 3 months, then even 12% would only cost around $5k for the privilege. And with the potential savings of purchasing pre-GST, it could be money well spent. (Note:- I've "heard" of Bridging Finance but have NO knowledge whether it is even a possibility - it's just a thought).

Given that building is likely to "take a hit" after 30Jun, maybe you can set up a deal now to purchase off-the-plan at a good discount which could offset the effects of GST on the new property. Builders will want to keep building, even after the Govt. has added an impost, so "deals" are likely to be the go, so long as you can wait till after 30Jun - and in your case, it would suit you to wait, while "tying up" the deal now.

A third option might be to look for a 1 - 2 year old property with a long settlement (around end-July) - someone must sell because of impending transfer, but don't want to "move out now". With a 2 year old property, you still get the Building Allowance, and most of the "bugs" have been ironed out, if there were any. By doing the deal now, you "lock in" the Capital Growth, while delaying the actual settlement.

Now, your questions:-

1. Probably for IP's 3 or 4, your IP #1 will have appreciated enough to allow you to borrow aginst IT, rather than your own home.

2. If your $7k - 8k figure for LMI is right, then that adds more to the mortgage you need to set up now - I would probably opt for an "after July deal" in your situation.

3. The only thing I would add (especially at this time - preGST) is to consider "near new" as an option - at least until near new prices jump to catch up to the new prices.

4. Over 80% "over your head" - ?? That really depends on so many factors. You have Fixed IO, and say your figures are well in hand. If you are comfortable, and can withstand a lift in Rates of 2% - 3%, then I would say you just heard "an opinion". Opinions like this can serve as timely warnings, though - to me, it says "rethink your situation!" If you're still happy with it after rethinking all of the necessities (inc. Insurance - life, disability, house, landlord, etc.) then keep going.

5. I know NAB will offer you 0.5% discount on their posted Interest Rates - does BofM do similar? If so, especially in the early days, this can be beneficial. All I would caution against is "cross-collateralising" (??) - i.e. your home is "tied" to the other IP loans. In this case, if things turned sour (lose your job, suffer trauma, etc.) and you were struggling, it is often MORE BENEFICIAL for the Bank to sell YOUR HOME to get their money back (you usually have more Equity in your own home than in IP's, so it's easier for them!!!).

6. Business loan rules ? PASS! All I have heard is that many lenders DO reduce the LVR for higher amounts borrowed, and LMI can be added for $0.5m loan, even if you are putting in 25%. So it seems the rules change as you succeed !! Hopefully others into this arena can add benefit.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Les

Bill

Reply: 1.1

Re: How far is too far? Attn. LES
Date: 3/27/00
Time: 4:34:09 PM

Les

Thanks as always for your helpful advice. To answer your quetion we are talking around $640k all up in loans. I have been led to believe that you are charged LMI on the TOTAL loans the first time around, not just on the $180k this loan represents. The next time you borrow you are hit for LMI (if over 80%) on the incremental amount only?

Also a question for you on the 'cross collaterising" point. In the early days aren't you going to have to link your home in to the collateral as you extend your loans until your portfolio grows in value and you refinance and can 'release' your home?

Many thanks. Cheers, Bill

Les

Reply: 1.1.1

Re: Need more experienced advice here - please help out
Date: 3/28/00
Time: 7:06:07 PM

Bill,

Let me answer the second question first - it is possible (or likely?) that with one lender providing all of your loans, they will "tie up" your home in with the other IP properties.

In my case, the adviser I used set things up so that borrowings on my home were with ONE lender, and the 2 IP's were cross-collateralised with another lender. That way, my home is safe(r). As you say, in the future, taking your home OFF the block is a good move for the future.

Your quote:- "I have been led to believe that you are charged LMI on the TOTAL loans the first time around, not just on the $180k this loan represents. The next time you borrow you are hit for LMI (if over 80%) on the incremental amount only?"

I can't answer that one, Bill - but I would question what you mean by "...the first time around" - surely with one IP already, you have already done your "first time around" - so does this mean you are only up for $180k after all?

Keep in mind my earlier comments about exceeding $0.5m - maybe hitting THAT mark is your "first time around"? I have not hit that level yet, so I've yet to learn what it's all about. If you can clarify what happens with you, it will help me out for the future.

Hopefully other more experienced forum folk can give you a lead on this.

Regards, Les

Richard

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Re: Need more experienced advice here - please help out
Date: 4/1/00
Time: 10:40:29 PM

To les and Bill, just my quick "two cents". When I went to refinance my own home to finance construction of my first IP, I found the bank calculated LMI based on the total refinanced amount (and not just the additional amount for the IP). The bank calculated LVR came out at 82%.

Fortunately for me I was able to convince them to increase their estimation of the final expected value of the IP when built and this allowed me to scape in just below 80%. I saved $2800 in LMI! (a real pleasant surprise). By the way the bank was NAB.

Regards Richard

Back