Finance

W

WebBoard

I don't think the banks like to give their money away
From: Peter and Marina(warning-a very long long long long post)
Date: 18 Nov 2000
Time: 08:48:28

I am now working on my 4th property acquistion and I have spent 4 weeks working on the finance structure. I first approached my bank lender fully prepared, cash flow stmnts, plans etc. She has NO power to say yes or no.

What they do is they take the application and it goes to a so called ASSESSOR. They are the ones that make the decision without meeting you. I don't know how well my case was presented but I would say not that well because the ASSESOR knocked back the loan and said you cannot service it.I asked for a meeting with the assessor but they would not oblige.

It truly makes me upset because they did not take into account the tax refunds, they take into account only 70% of rent and they did not look at my share portfolio. Mind you I own my own home and do not pay rent or mortgage. I have ample cashflow and I CAN SERVICE. Bank of Melbourne said the same thing.

I think what they are scared of is that I already have a HUGE DEBT. I love debt but by the same token I have a plan and I have cashflow. I would not jeopardise my home if I did not believe in my capabilities.

The ANZ loan manager said your loan should be approved but when it went to the ASSESSOR he said NO YOUR PROPERTY IS TOO RENTAL RELIANT. (what IP property is not rental reliant) I nearly fell off my chair, what baloney. He also said that IN THE VIEW OF PAYING YOUR PROPERTIES OFF IN 25 YEARS YOU CANNOT SERVICE ANOTHER PROPERTY. I said to him I am not going to pay them off I only want Interest only. Interest only was mentioned in the original application so I do not even know why he mentioned paying them off.

I gave him a full briefing on how IPs work and was shocked at the naive attitude he had. I phoned up the original person who took my application and they said that they did not see a problem with it but the assessor must be too CONSERVATIVE. He also said that because it is complicated the easiest thing for him to say is NO. I swear this is not complicated.

By this stage we had enough of bank staff hindering our wealth creation process (NOT ONE HAD AN IP THEMSELVES), so I contacted a fantastic Mortgage broker. He came down straight away and spent 2 and a half hours with us. He was quick, knowledgable and most of all positive. He took our application to the TOP person of this particular bank and got it approved in a couple of hours. It was such fantastic news. He only deals with the TOP and HIGH UP Bank managers.

In the meantime I said to our mortgage broker to approach one more bank on our behalf because they have a T.O.C. and it would work in our favour better. So again he goes to the top person and now he has 7 people working on our application. We should have an answer with this bank by Tuesday. If they say no I still have the other one.

Mortgage Brokers get paid by the banks and are not biased towards any particular bank. They look after you and they are working for you. I truly recommend to anyone to go through a mortgage broker.

If anything we are now more inspired than ever. Don't give up, believe in yourself and your plan. Remember IF IT WAS EASY EVERYONE WOULD BE DOING IT. I think I read somewhere that only 1% of the population own more than 2 Ips or is it 3 Ips.

Peter. L

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris

Reply: 1

Re: I don't think the banks like to give their money away
Time: 18:15:44

Peter and Marina

Thank you for your informative post - I found it interesting but also familiar. My wife and I have a smallish property portfolio with a mix of houses and home units. We have also come up against the "But you are too reliant on rent" response and have also tried to point out to a range of banking staff that this is indeed the essence of servicing investment properties (apart from our 2 full-time jobs and small share portfolio!). Obviously the banks are extremely wary of Mr and Mrs Average trying to improve their lot in life and taking on more "good debt"!

I agree with your thoughts that a "good" mortgage broker (who does not receive any special commissions from a particular lender for throwing business their way) is an excellent way of having someone shop around and do the work for you. There are quite a few out there - the trouble is finding a good one. The best of luck with your current and future investment purchases.

Regards - Chris

DuncanM

Reply: 1.1

Time: 09:57:26

Great post! Can you name the broker?

Regards, Duncan.

Peter L

Reply: 1.1.1

Time: 10:14:03

I am glad you liked the post. Email me on [email protected] and I will forward you his details.

It really makes it so much easier being able to tell the broker WHAT YOU WANT and then getting WHAT YOU WANT.

Jane P

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Time: 13:41:18

How true!! Most assessors in my experience are conservative and "scared". I've just had a very similar experience, and ended up with a broker going with a bank that said to me directly "no go - can't do that amount".

It was good to go through a broker in this instance; however, I still think it's an advantage to find a gutsy loans manager who will drive your situation home to the next level. That way, you don't have to repeat yourself each time. After all, each bank is VERY conservative when it comes to loans. The other thing to remember is to tell them what you want, and manipulate that. I don't mean be dishonest but tell tham what they need to know - ie sell yourself.

Onward and upward - Jane P

GregM

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

Date: 19 Nov 2000
Time: 02:19:34

I tell the banks what I want, what they can do for me, (I gave up asking years ago) and then back it up with a solid set of numbers. I make it clear to the lending manager that loan applications fees and the like are not acceptable, and that I will walk if they don’t agree.

I find that you can’t do enough homework, knowledge of the oppositions products help a lot.

I have been using the same lending manager for about 12 years now, he has several IP’s of his own, he also knows that he has to do his homework before he sees me because I ask questions (lots of them).

If you believe you are getting the run around never be afraid to bounce a letter off to the CEO you will be surprised the results it gets, and if you get good service do the same, you will have a friend for life.

Jane P

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

Date: 19 Nov 2000
Time: 09:11:30

Greg - I'd love to know who you're using; I agree 100% with you, tell them what you want, keep asking and be demanding/cheeky. It does take practice, though, and time to find a person who sees things your way - almost like converting. So if you're happy to give me the name and contact, my email is [email protected].

Thanks and Cheers - Jane P

TonyL

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Date: 26 Nov 2000
Time: 22:32:23

their money? more like their depositors money!

Just a small warning about brokers - they don't necessarily have access to all possible loans with the banks.

I had talked to the NAB about their Investor's Choice package and then went to a broker to see what they could come up with. This package wasn't available to the broker and I didn't qualify for similar ones from other banks. Still it was good to confirm that I had the package that suited me best, and the extra information from the broker didn't cost anything (except for my time, which would have been spent in greater quantities getting the info myself).

Back