Financial Advice Please :)

Hi everyone,
This is my first post here after lurking and reading for some time, so please bare with me!

I am just looking for some general advice on my financial position and where to go with my investment property.

My de-facto partner and I bought our first place in October 2008 when we were both 21. 2 bed 1 bath 1 car space unit for $170,000 (our original loan was for $162,000) P&I loan. The unit is in a regional CBD area 5 minutes away from a major hospital, railway, schools, shops etc We got the first owners grant of $7000 at the time. We moved in as our parents wanted us out (lol!) and we lived there for nearly 2 years. The unit complex is an old place, the strata is very high ($677 per quarter) as they are trying to develop the complex and modernise it. So far they have replaced the entire roof and built a new carport.

We ended up moving back home in February 2011 as I lost my job/quit uni and my partner hurt his back, and his job decided to squeeze him out. We didn't have a lot of savings so we burned through it quite quickly and ended up using our credit card and taking personal loans from family. We renovated and replaced our kitchen which had been falling apart when we moved in and was infested with cockroaches. We finally were able to rent out our apartment in May 2011.

Since May 2011 I've had reliable tenants in there that are happy and are always on time with their rent. I currently rent it out at $275 per week.

My issue is, my partner lives at home with his parents currently and I live with mine currently. My partner recently secured a full-time job after many bumps and boulders along the way, and I believe his salary is around $38,000 before tax. I, on the other hand, have been unemployed for just over a year due to mental illness. We would really like to move into another home. A house preferably, but we've only just started to take control of our lives and financial situation again after our hiccups in the past 3 years.

Our debts are:
$18,500 car loan (VARIABLE @ 10.180%)
$6,500 family loan (interest free)
$900 store card (2.5 years remaining on this, I've been paying more than the minimum and putting extra money towards this when I can. Currently not paying any interest as it's still in the interest free term)

We also have a credit card with a $3,000 limit but we always pay it off in full every month, we've never paid interest on this or ever had it maxed.

Our home loan is with St George. It's a really basic no frills loan, P&I, $154,000 remaining and 6.36% pa (but it's due to go down again).

We also have a compound-interest savings account, we currently have just over $2,000 saved thanks to our efforts to squirrel away money each month for the last few months. We needed a small buffer because what would happen was: an emergency would come up > we'd use credit > we'd end up having to pay it back and it felt like a cycle over a few years of this.

I have asked my bank if I could switch my P&I loan to an IO loan but it will cost me around $600 upfront to change. I think this is due to the type of basic loan we have. I know I can claim that money but $600 upfront at the moment for us is a bit.

Basically, we would eventually like to use our apartment to leverage into a house in the near future. But for the next year or two, I think we'll be living at home and paying off our car loan (I wish to just get rid of this loan), our store card and I'd love to repay our family back, all the while still building a savings buffer.

I wanted to ask as well, once I change my P&I to IO for my apartment, would it best to just pay the minimum repayment of interest only each month? I have been putting a little more each month towards it (I only have a few hundred dollars sitting on top of that mortgage that I can redraw) just so I have mortgage repayments there if I need them in the future.

My partner and I have had some real rough luck in the past few years and we're working to rebuild our lives. Any advice is appreciated or suggestions or anything. We'd like to be living in another house sooner rather than later. We don't even mind if it's a run-down little place, we're both fairly handy when it comes to DIY. We'd eventually love to keep buying investment properties!

Oh and also, we don't spend a lot on ourselves. Hardly ever go out, don't really consumer shop. Haven't even been on a holiday!

If you want to pay more than just the interest, why switch to an IO loan and cough up the $600?

If you only want to pay IO, then make no extra payments and cough upo the $600.

Paying IO will cost you about $9500pa, P&I will cost you about $12000pa.

So paying the $600 will mean that you will be about $1900pa better off ($12000 - $9500 - $600), so it ight be worth the short term pain. Maybe see if the cost can be rolled into the mortgage.

BUT, I'm no FP. Maybe you should seek some financial counselling or see a FP to help out. Just saying.

1. Get yourself healthy
2. Ask some other banks to refinance your loan to interest only - you should be able to find a bank that will not charge a fee or waive fees
3. Consider selling the car and paying out the expensive finance - get a cheaper car
4. Make some regular payments on your 'no interest' family loan - even small payments as a gesture of good will

As per Will G - Get Well. Get Job. Anything - if you are out of the workforce too long, a lot of questions get asked when you are trying to get back in.

How much is the car (realistically) worth now if you sell it?

The Y-man

Get rid of that car loan. That is what's really dragging you down.

5K will buy you a great car these days. Even the 2K you have saved will be enough.

If the car is worth 18,500 still and you can pay out the loan in full put the 2k you have saved against the store card and 1.5K to the family making it a round 5K in debt. Seems like a smaller chunk that way.

@HotRod, WillG, The Y-Man & DJBarnstar - I think I will scout around for other banks to refinance my home to IO, hopefully for no upfront fee. I don't wish to pay more than the interest on this loan, as I'm not living there and it's now an investment property. Should I save extra money in for example, my compound interest savings account instead of putting it on top of this mortgage?

I am on the road to recovery, and have been doing much better in recent times. I have been looking for work in the last few months but I am unskilled/only ever worked in retail so am finding it a little hard. Although, I have an interview coming up for full-time work (fingers crossed).

I have been making regular fortnightly repayments to my family of $120, I'm chipping away at that debt at the moment.

Yes, the car loan is an issue. I have asked my partner about how much it could be worth now and if we could sell it, pay out the debt and buy a cheaper car and he said he would be fine with that (I don't drive, he's the person who uses this car the most). That is an excellent idea and I did not even think of it!
I will have to find out how much our car is worth.

I don't see any value in refinancing your mortgage because you will have to pay mortgage insurance again. Best to concentrate on the other stuff like personal and car loans.

Whats the interest rate on the store card? It may be worth just paying this out in full with your cash.

I would ring up the bank and ask them if they could waive their $600 fee and if they say no, then immediately ask them for a pay out figure and say you have an offer from NAB to change the loan over. You don't want to but... if they waived the fee you may stay.

I don't see any value in refinancing your mortgage because you will have to pay mortgage insurance again. Best to concentrate on the other stuff like personal and car loans.

I doubt you would have to pay mortgage insurance. You only owe $154K. If you are receiving $275 pw rent then the property should be worth at least $200K, so you would borrow below 80%.

If you do refinance, EVERY CENT you save must be paid off the car loan. It is the only loan you are paying interest on. It is good you are paying something to your family and off the store loan (keep a close eye on the date that the interest free period runs out and pay it out beforehand, even if you have to dip into your savings). But the car loan must be your priority for every spare cent.

Good luck.
Marg

Look i dont want to be appear harse but with 1 income of $38K PA and rent coming in from your current IP i dont think you have much chance of purchasing another property in the near future.

As Aaron mentioned dont think about refinancing as anything over 80% is going to incur LMI even if there are no application costs.

If the Dragon charges you $600 this is a loan cost and can be deducted over 5 years or the term of the loan so not much coming back there each year.

The family loan is interest free so leave that.
The store card is still in the interest free period so leave that.

Focus on paying down the car loan as 10.18% isnt a bad rate on a car loan.

As Terry mentioned ask SGB for a payout figure and make sure you tell them you are switiching to a lender who giving you $700 back for refinancing. Tell them you would have stayed but you are not prepared to pay the switch fee.

Have a feeling they will agree to it or at least discount the fee.

Back