Financially smart or dumb?

I think it's a good idea if you move around a lot. Most hotels have pools and/or a gym which you can use for free too plus you don't have to clean or pay any bills outside of housing. You wouldn't be able to cook much though

If you know where to look, it can be as cheap or just slightly more expensive to eat out than cook at home and I'm not talking about going to some fast food junk place either.

no doubt people on SS are investors and more savvy that if they were in the exact same situation, they would surely go for a $400 per week 1bdr in the city or even $300 per week in shared accomodation
Why are less expensive options necessarily "more savvy"? They don't offer the same level of comfort - and I'd agree it's less savvy to pay more for the same, but those are not the same.

What are we saving or investing for, if not to make our lives more comfortable and enjoyable?

If you know where to look, it can be as cheap or just slightly more expensive to eat out than cook at home and I'm not talking about going to some fast food junk place either.

I guess so. I think it's nice to have something home made once in a while though. It all comes down to individual preferences.

Why are less expensive options necessarily "more savvy"? They don't offer the same level of comfort - and I'd agree it's less savvy to pay more for the same, but those are not the same.

What are we saving or investing for, if not to make our lives more comfortable and enjoyable?

Totally agree.

In fact I'd argue the opposite, If after years of investing someone still has to go with the the cheaper option all the time they probably aren't a "savvy" investor

This scenario may appeal also to Retirees who wish to downsize and live in Capital cities all around the world. I feel that most people opting for this lifestyle, would be regularly dining out, so cooking facilities not a priority.
I wonder if they would let you put your Weber in the room!

Perhaps some of the people living in the swanky hotels are able to claim it is a business expense or at least a large proportion of it

Totally agree.

In fact I'd argue the opposite, If after years of investing someone still has to go with the the cheaper option all the time they probably aren't a "savvy" investor

My partner and I got onto the topic of where to live (looooong way off yet). We both have assets and could comfortably sell up and buy your average Sydney property with little to no mortgage left. Yet we have zero intention of selling or using investment funds for PPOR purposes.

We had a few criteria, stay in Sydney, central location, near beaches, no sizeable mortgage. We came to the conclusion Studio or small 1 bedroom apartment. Terrible investment, yet it gave us everything we wanted for <$300k.

Your comment made me think of that discussion and the realisation that we have all these assets and yet were unwilling to use them any time in the foreseeable future. (Though knowing we have it lets us rest easy and we travel a lot).

I too have calculated that it can be more financially savvy to live in the city than to live outside and pay for transport costs. A long time ago I decided that I would love to live in a hotel in my golden years for all the reasons suggested, such as a daily maid. There are hotel suites with a usable kitchen for those easy snacks and home cooked meals, a cafe and restaurant downstairs and, in many locations like the Sunshine Coast, a lovely beach across the road. Heaven!

I also know that for those who book several cruises, each one gets a discount based on the number of previous ones, and after a while it becomes cheap as chips to live on board a cruise liner with high quality healthcare included. This is for the retirement years rather than when working in the CBD.

Last edited:
I have read that too Angel. It seems to be quite common in the US. Cruises there tend to be cheaper than in Australia and it's not uncommon to have 1 week Caribbean cruises that are ~$300/person. I'm guessing longer length ones would be similarly priced per day.

There is also a company that sells cabins in a cruise ship that's always sailing around the world. I believe they start from about 300k. http://aboardtheworld.com/

Living in serviced apartments is quite common for employees who get shunted between State offices for national/global employers, however they are generally paid for by the company. The project my wife is working on currently has circa 40 staffers living in serviced apartments for the next 12-18 months. Decent gig for the staffers, who get living allowances + free accom.

But even then there has been rumblings within the corporate world that it may be more cost effective renting properties 24x7 even with vacancy, compared to the premium of serviced accommodation.

Its a rip off - $700 pw - tch...much cheaper and smarter to live in your car.

You can use the shower facilities at work and store clothes in your locker or bottom drawer. The rest you keep in the boot.

Its a rip off - $700 pw - tch...much cheaper and smarter to live in your car.

You can use the shower facilities at work and store clothes in your locker or bottom drawer. The rest you keep in the boot.

Why bother with the car? Much comfier to sleep at work.

Just saw this article

http://theage.domain.com.au/real-estate-news/long-term-hotel-living-in-melbourne-20140619-zsf0w.html

to me unless you have a huge income, or DINK, choosing to spend $700 per week for the average person is a bit extreme,

no doubt people on SS are investors and more savvy that if they were in the exact same situation, they would surely go for a $400 per week 1bdr in the city or even $300 per week in shared accomodation

Free marketing for Uber :)

Plenty of FIFO in Perth live in hotels on their swing shift home. They say there is no point paying rent when they aren't there.

I did it years ago, (but I was smart enuf to have the employer cover it in the relocation allowance, which I was using for flights etc). I have absolutely no issue having a serviced apartment if living interstate for several months at a time. It is even better than a fully furnished apartment. Had the advantage of walk to the office, inner city ie cbd, all mod cons etc.

Back