Finding a new tenant process

We are currently looking for a new tenant. The old tenant moved out 2 weeks ago. We self PM however we hired a RE to search for a new tenant for us.

As far as the RE, I was really happy with how they handled the set up...admin, taking pictures, listings etc. I never hear from them though but I guess its possible if they have nothing to put forward to me, then why contact me.

I have asked them about our price and the market and they said our price is no problem and the market is fairly good in terms of properties being rented.
They told me the only feedback they had from one serious inquiry was that they found a bigger place. But they were 4 adults and 1 child and our place is a 3 br unit so that stands to reason. So nothing indicates our place is unrentable. It's 6-7 years old, has lots of amenities etc.

Not having been through this process before, I'm just looking for some 'been there done that' advice on anything I should be doing to be more proactive. I'm not in any panic over the situation but just want to make sure I am doing what I should be.

Thank you

What suburb is this? I know there is a story in the local rag this week about how much picky tenants can be, and how rents are dropping in some areas.

I have a friend who is having trouble renting a freshly renovated house in Coorparoo (but her agent seems a bit hopeless).

I was checking out what was available to rent in Coorparoo this last couple of weeks to keep my finger on the pulse with two leases due to end in February, and rental prices seem to have softened a fair bit.

Hi Wylie

its in Kallangur. I've been watching realestate.com.au just to get an idea of the volume of listings and there hasn't been much listed in our price bracket so its not like there is a glut from my perspective. Currently there's about 4 in our price bracket and then a fair few are about $20-40 a week more than ours....all the same specs as ours of of 3 br, 2.5 bathrooms.

I noticed on the listing the agent has appointments for inspections between 9-4.30 weekdays and 9-11 am Saturdays.....basically when everyone is at work. Maybe if I extend the inspection times to after hours, it might get more interested. We would take care of those after hours viewings.

Other than that I can only think to take $10 a week off, which over the year isn't that much different than losing 1-2 weeks rent anyway and I'm down 2 weeks already.

Hi Rambin, have you yourself had anyone through? If only 1 person has been through in weeks then either the market is dead, the house is priced incorrectly or it is not presented well?

Just looked at realestate.com.au re properties available in Kallangur. There are 78 properties available and most expensive low $400s. I would guess you have a major over supply of properties and low demand. Price and presentation may not be enough. Patience and free offers may be needed!!! Renters market so much to choice, so cheap. Sorry:eek:

The agent said they have had some inquiries but only 1 that started the application process....the people I mentioned earlier. They've had the unit on their books for about 3 weeks now.

The unit is in a complex and our price is at the bottom end of the rental range of that complex. The unit is pretty nice...modern, lots of amenities....aircons, dishwasher, ensuite, 3rd toilet etc.

I'll try with the flexible viewing hours but I think if someone wants it, viewing hours wouldn't stop them....so looks like dropping price and a free set of steak knives might be the next option.

The agent said they have had some inquiries but only 1 that started the application process....the people I mentioned earlier. They've had the unit on their books for about 3 weeks now.

Hiya

Only having one party interested in three weeks does't sound too good. Might be worth while dropping that price.

Cheers

Jamie

How does the advertising look? It is a shame about the lack of communication but a lot of agents really do struggle with calling and saying 'I'm sorry, I've got nothing for you'.

You have said it is in a block of other units. I manage a few units where the unit itself is beautiful! Renovated great location really well maintained but the common area's and other tenants are just awful and putting every one off. It may not be the presentation of your unit but the presentation of the other units that put people off renting in the complex??

The advertising pics are good and are just of the unit itself, inside and outside (about 20 pics all up). The complex itself is well maintained and I don't think there's anything that would be offputting in that respect.

The only thing I personally don't like is the backyard in that its patchy grass. It's not really a backyard type of unit though and would be ideal for someone who doesn't want to mow anything. Having been a renter before it wouldn't be enough to put me off, but it's not ideal. I've thought about getting a landscaper in to tidy it up but then worry I spend a heap of money on something that might need a bit of watering and the new tenants don't upkeep.

I might contact a landscaper I've used personally before and see what she says. She may have a solution that's cheaper then the one I've built up in my mind!

Having just been through this process and having rented out two vacant apartments, unfortunately at the same time, I hope I may help with some tips.

1) Keep hassling the agent all the time for updates / suggestions
2) Make sure the property is presentable and clean, new lick of paint here and there can help minor things like new lights, carpet, even vanity unit in bathroom etc
3) Have decent photos these are a must not all agents seem to be able to do this.
4) Ask the agent for feedback on why people if they have looked at it have not put in an application
5) Make sure it is competitively priced according to the market, the longer you hold out the more you will lose.
6) If it doesn't have it consider adding a split system a/c or even ceiling fans.
7) Also might consider offering one or two weeks rent free or discount for the first month or two and a sweetener.

Good luck

Back