Finding a rental that allows pets

We have recently sold our unit so are now looking to rent a 2 bed unit/villa/house in the Osborne Park/Innaloo/Tuart Hill area. I'm quite surprised at how few properties allow pets. We have 2 cats which seem to cut our choices considerably. I thought more people would allow pets considering the rental market currently.

Anyone know of a rental (that allows pets) in these areas? Willing to consider other areas too.

Cheers
Ems

Hi ems, I typed in the above 3 areas in realestate.com.au and found 7 properties that are 'pet friendly' by ticking the box 'pets allowed' located under Min. Land.

42 properties 'pets allowed' found if I included 'surrounding suburbs'

How it works is you:

Choose your basic search criteria (location, property type, bedrooms etc)
Once the first page of search results load, look under Refine Search By form to select box "Pets allowed" under Min. Land

I hope this helps. I learnt something new myself. I didn't know realestate.com.au had this feature till I started poking around.....

Ems if you wanted a brand new 4 bedder in Gwelup I'm pet friendly no matter the rental market.

Congrats on selling your unit!

Thanks for that :)

I should have mentioned that our price would be 400 a week, probably couldn't go any higher at the moment. I'm guessing a brand new 4 bedder would be more than that?

Hi ems, I typed in the above 3 areas in realestate.com.au and found 7 properties that are 'pet friendly' by ticking the box 'pets allowed' located under Min. Land.

42 properties 'pets allowed' found if I included 'surrounding suburbs'

How it works is you:

Choose your basic search criteria (location, property type, bedrooms etc)
Once the first page of search results load, look under Refine Search By form to select box "Pets allowed" under Min. Land

I hope this helps. I learnt something new myself. I didn't know realestate.com.au had this feature till I started poking around.....

Thanks Beanie Girl.

Our limit is 400 a week and I think everything that allow pets is over that figure. Might have to readjust our price.

When I settled on my first IP, there were about 45 apartments of the same type (2 bedroom) in its suburb. Mine was the only one that was "pet friendly".

But I reckon if you enquire and ask if two cats are ok, you'll get "yes" more than you might expect. It won't hurt to ask, so find a place you're keen on and see how you go.

Hi ems, I love animals and I am an IP owner that allows pets in my IPs if my tenants request..
But I didn't instruct the agent to advertise it as such or knew that realestate.com.au or domain.com.au could list these features......

So I think if a lot of IP owners are like me, there would be many owners who would allow pets if you asked....they just didn't know it could be advertised or they tell the agent that unless a prospective tenant asks, they ask the agent not to broadcast it...because they want to assess each application on a case-by-case basis...

So if you see any property in those areas or surrounding areas that suit your budget, just ask the agent if the owner will allow pets...you sound like the dream tenant....they definitely will consider.....in my opinion

Hi ems, I love animals and I am an IP owner that allows pets in my IPs if my tenants request..
But I didn't instruct the agent to advertise it as such or knew that realestate.com.au or domain.com.au could list these features......

So I think if a lot of IP owners are like me, there would be many owners who would allow pets if you asked....they just didn't know it could be advertised or they tell the agent that unless a prospective tenant asks, they ask the agent not to broadcast it...because they want to assess each application on a case-by-case basis...

So if you see any property in those areas or surrounding areas that suit your budget, just ask the agent if the owner will allow pets...you sound like the dream tenant....they definitely will consider.....in my opinion

Thanks guys. I will definitely ask the question when we find one suitable.

My babies :) Who could say no!!

Attachments

• 2014-04-23 18.51.40.jpg
    2014-04-23 18.51.40.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 95
Cuties!

Follow Richard's advice, you will be surprised.

Also, as a rule of thumb (here anyway) most agencies advertise pets allowed, no pets or nothing. Nothing usually means they'd consider a pet for the right tenant.

We're in the process of moving houses at the moment, the one we are leaving said no pets, but as we were known to this agent from a previous property they put it to the landlord, we got it at $10/week more. This one was pets considered for the right tenants, clearly we are awesome because not only did we get the place with our 2 cats, we beat the other 15 applicants.

All of mine are pet friendly but are still currently leased for the next year sorry.

I agree most properties would not mind cats, especially with the way the vacancy rate is atm the ball is most likely in your court and you dont realise. Make a few calls and i think you wont have to much drama (assuming you stack up with the rest of the criteria :D)

Goodluck

Cheers

Those cats are gorgeous! I bet they are the cleanest tenants too :)

I don't have anything available in your area at the moment, but here are a few tips for finding pet friendly rentals that I put together for our new business website
http://www.rentwithpets.com.au/index.php/tenants2/househunting-tips-for-tenants
Another option could be staying temporarily in a pet friendly holiday home for 5 weeks?

Here is a recent article on REA's blog with some stats on pet friendly rentals http://www.realestate.com.au/blog/renting-pets-landlords-might-ok/

All the best with finding a new home with your gorgeous furbabies!

Yen

Back