Finding out after settlement... strata levies $5k in arrears!

Hi all,

My cousin would like a quick yes/no answer as to whether it's the solicitor's fault if, after buying a strata titled apartment, the strata levies were in arrears by $5k and this was NOT adjusted for at settlement.

Needless to say, he's a little peeved at having to fork out $5k (plus 10% interest) and wanted some confirmation that he should bug the solicitor about it?

I couldn't provide this confirmation as I've never been in this situation before, but I told him the good people on SS might now?

Thanks, would love to hear what people think.

Yes, and the strata levies were adjusted, but just for the quarter that the settlement took place in, rather than by the whole of the amount in arrears, if that makes sense.

My cuz is just wondering whether to contact his solicitor or not!

Thanks Rolf, will keep this thread updated about what happens, but I'm a pessimist so I must admit I can't really see any point in chasing the vendor up for the extra $5k, nor the conveyancing solicitor (even though it was their mistake). But hopefully my cuz will be pleasantly surprised by the outcome. Cheers!

I totally agree with Rolf.

The solicitor should have made out a cheque from the settlement proceeds to pay the owners corporation for the overdue levies.

It's his/her duty to ensure that his clients does not pay for the seller's levies.

Hi all,

Good news, a mistake had been made but they are rectifying it now so my cousin isn't out of pocket.

as my cousin is a newbie to PI he just needed a bit of a push to send him to the solicitor - thanks for providing your input which was necessary for him to take that 1st step! He was ready to pay it out of his own pocket (bit of a softie) so I'm glad I thought to ask on here first.

Back