Finding out where publi housing in a suburb are located?

I am going to be investing in an area in qld which has a few public housing areas. Where can I find out exactly which streets in a particular suburb are public housing?

Hi Daniel

Generally speaking, you can tell by looking at it if the property was built by the housing commission.

On the other hand, in Victoria, the Office of Housing is now leasing 27,000 privately owned properties as public housing, so you can't tell by looking.

In Victoria, much of the original housing commission stock has been sold off and as some of these areas are now prime residential areas, with the houses gentrified or knocked down and rebuilt, the origins of the housing has little relevance.

We lease four properties to the Office of Housing and have done so for the past three years, (12 leasing years) and have had one occupant who caused serious problems with the neighbours and one who caused some nuisance with the neighbours. In our experience, this ratio or likelihood of problems is about the same as with private tenants - and with owner occupied neighbours.

In Victoria, the Office of Housing now has a loose 1:8 ratio - a maximum of one house in the street, one unit in the block etc

If you are wanting to avoid buying into public housing areas, in any state or territory, then you have to go and look - realestate.com.au does not provide this sort of information.

Cheers
Kristine

Very hard to tell nowadays.

There are still the old traditional "housing commission areas" but the majority of properties in these areas have been sold off to private buyers.

Properties built or acquired within the last 10 years or so are scattered throughout all suburbs and are indistinguishable from their neighbours. Some public housing buildings, particularly units, win architectural awards. The old days of building entire suburbs of similar housing have long gone, thankfully.
Marg

In Victoria, much of the original housing commission stock has been sold off and as some of these areas are now prime residential areas, with the houses gentrified or knocked down and rebuilt, the origins of the housing has little relevance.

This is an interesting topic.

There are many prime inner city areas in Melbourne where public houses and million dollar houses are within a koowee or each other! Just wondering how close people would buy to a Housing Commission establishment, keeping in mind that Public Houses now appear in many forms. (Modern, older style low rise, high rise, etc).

Regards jason.

This is an interesting topic.

There are many prime inner city areas in Melbourne where public houses and million dollar houses are within a koowee or each other! Just wondering how close people would buy to a Housing Commission establishment, keeping in mind that Public Houses now appear in many forms. (Modern, older style low rise, high rise, etc).

Regards jason.

I was thinking about this just today in Port Melbourne. I got the tram into the city, and there are housing commission flats next to the northern end of Beacon Cove (where homes are $1M+). You see lovely beautiful homes with clean fences as you leave Port Melbourne, then you see lovely beautiful homes with fences full of grafitti and then you see the housing commission flats. I'd always want to live a good few streets away from a housing commission block of flats.

I am going to be investing in an area in qld which has a few public housing areas. Where can I find out exactly which streets in a particular suburb are public housing?

You can ask a subscriber who has access to ownership details records in either RP Data or PDS Live or other similar package.

I was thinking about this just today in Port Melbourne. I got the tram into the city, and there are housing commission flats next to the northern end of Beacon Cove (where homes are $1M+). You see lovely beautiful homes with clean fences as you leave Port Melbourne, then you see lovely beautiful homes with fences full of grafitti and then you see the housing commission flats. I'd always want to live a good few streets away from a housing commission block of flats.

That building next to the North Port tram stop comes to mind, it always seems to be in a state of disrepair and undergoing renovation. It stands out like a sore thumb against it's neighbours.

I was going to say RPdata too. It lists who owns houses.

You could go on google map and "walk" down the streets. I like to do that when looking at a property. It gives you a glimpse of the street/area.

Or physically go there.

If you are wanting to avoid buying into public housing areas, in any state or territory, then you have to go and look - realestate.com.au does not provide this sort of information.

I agree.

realestate.com.au only lets you search for houses, townhouses, units/apartments, acreage/semi-rural and blocks of units.

I have emailed them before to include housing commission properties in their searches but they told me to check RP Data or other similar packages (as others have already mentioned).

Back