Finding tenants for main residence, when granny flat under main residence

Evening all,

I made this thread

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60352

Which is about converting part of the existing residence to a granny flat.

The current PM said that renting the granny flat shouldn't be a problem, but in her experience she has found finding a tenant for the main residence can prove abit of a problem.

House is a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom (this is not including the proposed granny flat)

She said the granny flat would not be appealing to family wanting to rent their. I guess my worry is that i will experience long vacancy. Is this a valid fear, or just my PM worrying about my work stemming from potential issues between both tenants?

Regards,

RH

I am doing similiar thing for 2 of my properties, guess it's all come down to supply & demand. I saw in Invercargill (NZ, the city was built on a swamp) one half of the house is literally couple of feet lower than the other half, people still renting !

Last edited:
I have a 4 bedder with a detached granny flat. Last tenants rented the whole lot, however this time around we are renting them separately and have just put tenants into the house (for the same $$ as the whole lot previously:D).

It did take a little longer to get tenants than any other vacant home, however there was no fence separating them. As soon as the dividing fence went in, it was rented.

Bearing this in mind, is there some way you can fence off the granny flat to give the tenant their own space and privacy? This may be all that is needed to get two happy tenants.

Skater, do you have separate water & electricity meters for the granny flat, I was told the meters can cost a fortune to install.

Evening all,

I made this thread

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60352

Which is about converting part of the existing residence to a granny flat.

The current PM said that renting the granny flat shouldn't be a problem, but in her experience she has found finding a tenant for the main residence can prove abit of a problem.

House is a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom (this is not including the proposed granny flat)

She said the granny flat would not be appealing to family wanting to rent their. I guess my worry is that i will experience long vacancy. Is this a valid fear, or just my PM worrying about my work stemming from potential issues between both tenants?

Regards,

RH

We have a IP which has a similar set up. There is a granny flat on the lower floor and 3 bed house on top floor. We haven't found any trouble renting either,but I guess the rent is probably lower than if they were free standing. There is a staircase which links upstairs and downstairs, which we have locked doors at both ends, and we have only key. The laundry is shared btw them. We haven't had many families in either "unit"... tends to be young couples in the top, and single divorcees in bottom.
I would imagine that it would depend upon the area though. Ours is in an areas which has high rental demand. In fact, people have rented the bottom flat and not moved in - they just wanted a cheap rental to get a street address in the suburb which allowed them to get their kids into the local prestigious high school!
Pen

In fact, people have rented the bottom flat and not moved in - they just wanted a cheap rental to get a street address in the suburb which allowed them to get their kids into the local prestigious high school! Pen

Pen, I think you have stumbled upon the "perfect" tenant. Zero wear & tear too.

Back