Fine

That would be nice... But if you have a read of the Road Safety Act 1986 (Vic) in section 77
(2) The following people may prosecute for any offence under this Act or the regulations...(b) a municipal council

Then in section 87
(1) If a person who is referred to in section 77(2)...has reason to believe a parking infringement has been committed...he or she may serve or cause to be served, in accordance with the regulations, a parking infringement notice.

-Dave
Dave,

Am i reading the section 87 correctly, assuming that if you don't have a reason to believe a parking infringement has been committed you cannot be served infringement notice?

Don't know about your mate but for most people it costs more to take a day off work to attend court then it is to pay the fine. Time is money.
So if I make a claim over you for say, $50. Will you pay me? After all it is cheaper than fighting the claim.:)

That would be nice... But if you have a read of the Road Safety Act 1986 (Vic) in section 77
(2) The following people may prosecute for any offence under this Act or the regulations...(b) a municipal council

Then in section 87
(1) If a person who is referred to in section 77(2)...has reason to believe a parking infringement has been committed...he or she may serve or cause to be served, in accordance with the regulations, a parking infringement notice.

-Dave
Thanks Dave, I have not read this Act as the government and local council have not referrenced this Act to me in any of their correspondence with me.

However, I would be surprised if this Act, didn't reference the usual subordinate legislation clause that is usually at the start of the Act or a Code of Conduct similar to that noted in the Road Management Act. A little more bedtime reading me thinks.:)

Dave,

Am i reading the section 87 correctly, assuming that if you don't have a reason to believe a parking infringement has been committed you cannot be served infringement notice?

I read it as saying the person describd in section 77, ( b- a municipl council...) can serve or cause a fine to be served if they notice an infringement.

Last edited:
So if I make a claim over you for say, $50. Will you pay me? After all it is cheaper than fighting the claim.:)

Touche. Obviously I will fight your claim rather than pay. But my point is either way you are already wasting time or money. Best to avoid parking in places that will attract fines in the first place.

I read it as saying the person describd in section 77, ( b- a municipl council...) can serve or cause a fine to be served if they notice an infringement.

Thats how I read it too.

If the council believes that there is an infringement then they can issue a fine.

Boods

Don't know about your mate but for most people it costs more to take a day off work to attend court then it is to pay the fine. Time is money.

Too true. No offence to anyone intended, but some people seem to get so obsessed over the principal of it and I hear of them writing letters, attending council meetings etc. Just pay the damn thing and move on with your life.

If I get a council fine I pay, if it's from the dodgy private co's I throw it away.

I accidentally parked in a customer only bay on Saturday. When I got bak the carpark had a massive chain across the entrance. Luckily the guys at the shop were cleaning up and let me out, otherwise, what the hell would I have done. I amay be more careful in future.

Luckily the guys at the shop were cleaning up and let me out, otherwise, what the hell would I have done.

i would not hesitate to go home and use a pair of these.

you could argue they have commited some offence like theft of motor vehicle or illegal detention of property or something.

MES1670.jpg

Back