Finished my last ever DIY kitchen

I'm done. That's it. My third and last DIY PPOR kitchen.

Just missing the sink - I'm undecided what to get. Needs to be something unobtrusive. And I'm on the lookout for an interesting 1960s stove.

This is in the visitors pad upstairs that we'll probably rent out on the short stay market.

For those interested in the nuts and bolts:

- Cupboard doors are 19mm hoop pine play stained with Sikkens Cetol HLS in light oak and then finished with Osmo Hardwax Oil.
- Benchtops are birch ply out of two 3000 x 1500 sheets. They're stained and finished with F&W Floorseal (because it's hard wearing) and then buffed for a satin finish.
- Shelves in bookshelf are 32mm hoop pine finished as per cupboard doors.
- Coloured panels are Dulux wash and wear with Osmo over the top so the finish matches the timber.
- Cupboard handles are old fuse holders.
- Island bench is from the science labs at a local school - they were tossing them out. There are three units screwed together. Loads of storage. And the drawers labelled! It will be handy when I find myself in possession of a bunch of volumetric flasks or tuning forks or spherometers. And if someone ever gives me a thermoprobe, I'll know where to stick it.

Scott

Attachments

• Kitchen 1.jpg
    Kitchen 1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 222
  • Kitchen 2.jpg
    Kitchen 2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 208
  • Kitchen 3.jpg
    Kitchen 3.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 208
Way more storage than is needed - nearly all those cupboards are empty. They'll inevitably fill up, though. The only one that is full is the the low red one below the TV. It has a several hundred 70s albums that often get a play on a Saturday night after too many drinks.

The cupboard handles came from the old board that was in that space before we rewired it. I hated the idea of tossing them out.

A bunsen burner would be a nice touch. I do actually have a dozen glass flasks that were being tossed out. They make good vases.

Fantastic work Depreciator! I was trained as a chemist so this is my dream kitchen!! Sinks I remember from these types of labs were either deep stainless steel boxes or white ceramic, both deep set no drainage. A second hand industrial stove might work?

I'm going to keep this in mind for our next PPOR kitchen, you should do these for a living!!

The melamine carcasses, plywood cupboard doors (and the big red sliding door to the bathroom), benchtops, 32mm ply shelves, hardware etc cost around $4,500. Behind the red door is a bathroom. Its walls are plywood, too. And there is also loads of built-in storage there. So that $4,500 went a fair way. But more importantly, I like doing stuff like that. It was nice spending time by myself up in that space working with timber (albeit plywood).

Ikea have a square, ceramic drop-in sink. They look pretty good - and they're only $149. They've got a sort of lab looking mixer set, too. I'll get those portable drainer boards to put beside the sink. I don't think the sink will get much use, which is why I'm looking for something unobtrusive as opposed to practical.

There are lots of interesting old gas stoves around, but not many electrical ones. I can't be bothered running gas into that building. There are more old electric stoves in Melbourne, but not Sydney - maybe Sydney got town gas before Melbourne? Last year a client send me a photos of a kitchen because they wanted to know how old it might be. It had a green electric stove - 70s vintage. He was tossing it out. Wish I'd grabbed it.

This is the sort of thing I want:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-...260935768590?pt=AU_Stoves&hash=item3cc0fbda0e

There was a single version of this but the double ones are much more common. They look like 60s cars.

Last edited:
Back