Finished our reno-Yeehah.

That is awesome! :) Congrats!

Travelbug, do you do the renos yourself or do you have a team of contractors that do it for you? Also where do you get the blinds from?

If you don't mind would you be willing share the purchase price, the reno costs and the value after the reno?

Is that out in West Syd?

If you did it yourself very impressive finishes.

Will you pull equity out soon for the next one?

I am unfamiliar with how to renovate - when you say re sheeted - did you just take the gyprock walls out and get new gyprock then paint or is it more complicated?

How many hours were spent on each aspect of reno?

Great work btw!

Hi, thanks for the comments. We do most ourselves. Paid BIL ( builder) 8 days. Friends did plumbing and electrical ( they are qualified) and we swap labour to save money.
Resheeting- ripped out all the Gyprock ( and that blooming horse hair stuff) in hall, bathroom, bed 1 & 2, lounge ceiling and one wall. That was all out first day.
Resheeted ( new gyprock) over the top in kitchen.
Friends came and all new walls up in one day. I was getting a bit frustrated as I was keen to paint ( had to get to BLi)::D it takes a while- set, sand, set, sand then paint primer. Hubby and I did all the cornice. In hindsight I wish I had got a by rocker for a few days to do the finishing and cornice ( hate that job) .
We paid a painter to do the outside and a filer to waterproof and tile the bathroom.
Not sure of times on each bit. Hubby did some things while I did others. I always tend to get the scrubbing bits.:confused:
Blinds are from Fast Blinds.

I scrubbed all the rest of the walls. Blooming had work. We bought a spray
painter which saved us a few days at least. Sprayed whole inside ( except
kitchen) with primer in about 20 minutes. Then 2 coats on the ceilings. 8
minutes to spray each coat in 3 bedrooms, hall, lounge, dining. Amazing!
You definitely learn new things with each Reno. Each one has it's problems and bits you hate. One thing I know is I'd rather have smoke walls and ceilings than nicotine ones. We are happy with our results but think we are getting too old to do so much ourselves. We will contract more out next time I think.

Sorry this is a bit disjointed. I'm on Wifi on my IPad in Bali. Raining as I sit
here having breakfast. Might go and have a massage now.:D

It's in Lethbridge Park for rent now.

Figures. Bought $165,000. Reno under $22-24,000 Value $245-255k
Don't need to revaluation yet.

We added flyscreens (at the agents suggestion) and fixed the driveway (it was very uneven). So total reno $24K which was under our budget of $25-30K so extremely happy.

Tenants move in tomorrow. 9.3% yield so money in our pocket. :D:D

Feeling much more relaxed after 10-days laying around Bali beaches. Now I have work to do.:(

Hi Travelbug,
Thanks for taking the time to post this, very informative. Did you buy this place through normal sale or was it government auction etc?

Thanks

It was up for auction (housing com) and got passed in. It was listed for $195,000.

BA got it for me at $165,000 so extremely happy with that.:D

Very Nice,

I have one for you to do in Lethbridge park when you get back from Bali...not burnt out, it's just in need of some TLC :D :D

Great effort in four weeks, I watched all the vid's and loved the end result ...was that a lime green room though, or just the lighting in it?

Hubby and I did all the cornice. In hindsight I wish I had got a by rocker for a few days to do the finishing and cornice ( hate that job) .
We paid a painter to do the outside and a filer to waterproof and tile the bathroom.

I'm stumped...is that an auto-text error?

Sprayed whole inside ( except kitchen) with primer in about 20 minutes. Then 2 coats on the ceilings. 8 minutes to spray each coat in 3 bedrooms, hall, lounge, dining. Amazing!
You definitely learn new things with each Reno

I gave my BIL a hand with a renovation on a run down property last year and tried to convince him to try one of those air-less sprayguns but couldn't, I was keen as mustard to give it a whirl

Thanks for the post Travelbug, its amazing what some people can do to a property both inside and out...hope you had a good break (you're back?)

It was up for auction (housing com) and got passed in. It was listed for $195,000.

BA got it for me at $165,000 so extremely happy with that.:D

What did the BA cost? Sounds like it was well worth it. Do you think you could have got it for that price or did the BA negotiate well?

Hi Redwing- sorry for the delayed reply. Internet has been down.

How are you doing the TLC form Perth? I love doing reno's and happy to offer any help.

No lime green. I had to rewatch it to see what you meant. Just the light in the bedroom. Boring Hog Bristle 1/4 throughout and 1 feature wall in loungeroom.

Yes auto correct. I was on my IPad. Gee did that cause me problems while I was in Bali.
After the initial argements with hubby and getting the pressure down we loved it. Wish I had of videoed all the ceilings being done in 8 minutes.

Wylie - Yes I was very happy with the price. I wasn't looking at the time but it was listed at $195K so wouldn't have dreamed that I'd get it for $165K if I had. BA's have some power too with the real estate agents too (from my experience). Cost was $5K. Worth every cent (and more).
Things are really hotting up out there now. People going crazy because of the hype in magazines etc. Problem is everyone thinks they can just buy a fire damaged house and reno it. Most don't know the pitfalls and the difficulties with the banks. We had to jump through hoops to make this happen and I have a low LVR and the price was not much more than land value. Glad it wasn't an auction.

Fantastic stuff travel bug! And thanks so much for posting!

Just on the spray gun thing again, heard how great these are but yet to try, did you spray ceiling first then tape off walls? And vice versa for walls?

Awesome outcome tb.

Can confirm spray guns are cool. I bought one with a mate and it has paid for itself several times over. Preparation and masking is the key tho.

Where did you get your kitchen and how exxy was it? Did you put together a flatpack yourselves or get it fully installed?

Back