Fire in non council approved granny flat

Dear Property Investors,

Last night, there was a break and enter and deliberately lit fire in my rented granny flat.
Fortunately the tenants weren't home but they've lost most of their belongings.
I have building, contents and loss of rent insurance and it is noted on my policy that the granny flat is not council approved.
My question is...
Do I need council approval to rebuild or repair a "garage" that has been damaged by fire.
Of course, it's not really a "garage" inside.

Thanks,
Crystal
PS I'll attempt to load pictures of the granny flat.

Dear Property Investors,

Last night, there was a break and enter and deliberately lit fire in my rented granny flat.
Fortunately the tenants weren't home but they've lost most of their belongings.
I have building, contents and loss of rent insurance and it is noted on my policy that the granny flat is not council approved.
My question is...
Do I need council approval to rebuild or repair a "garage" that has been damaged by fire.
Of course, it's not really a "garage" inside.

Thanks,
Crystal
PS I'll attempt to load pictures of the granny flat.

Hi Crystal,

Sorry to hear about the fire. I'm assuming that the loss of rent insurance covered the granny flat rent?
If so, then the insurance company knows what they were insuring. You also note that they know it was not council approved. You have told them everything they needed to assess the risk they were insuring - and they accepted that risk. Therefore you should be fully insured (all other things being equal).

I think repairs are repairs and you are only putting back what was already there - IMO council approval should not be necessary - but diff councils would have diff rules I'm certain. It may depend on how fire damaged it is. i.e are the external walls still standing and do you just have to rebuild the inside?

The walls are still standing although there are several holes. I'm not sure whether it will be a repair or knockdown. I'm pretty sure I'll need a new roof. The pictures are in my gallery.

Thanks,
Crystal

Crystal,

I belive you need councial approval for it to be insured....

you may get the garage renovated, however inserts like kitchen walls etc ay not be covered...

i never had this prob before though...

goodluck :)

Back