Fire Sprinkler Systems?

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone can help. Our building was built in the late 60s with no sprinkler system when we purchased it. We currently have a mechanic workshop used by the tenant, do we need a fire sprinkler system by law or for insurance purposes?

I read my insurance policy and it doesn't specifically state anything with regards to fire sprinklers.

Thanks.

Council is the better party to speak to.

If the building is in its original condition with no changes made to the structure or usage and it was compliant when built, then normally no.

If there have been any changes, then the building needs to be made compliant to the standard applicable at that time of change.

Does it have a fire alarm system, ie detectors?

I know in WA we had a rush of installs about 3 years ago for commercial rentals due to some law changes but it was just smoke detectors.

It has been a while since I have read the BCA but I would assume the use is a class 6 building so a floor area of greater than 2,000m2 or volume of 12,000m3.
BCA Table E1.5

So unless you have a very large building, it would be unlikely that you would need sprinklers.

Back