Fired- well that was unexpected.

Hey,

So a great reminder why I invest in the first place.

Had my annual review with my direct boss and the PM who I never work with.
Review was alright, 'your good at your job, could always improve, etc'.

At the end of the meeting, the PM said something which I disagreed with, and I asked if we could have open communication to which he stated that is what it was all about. I said I felt a lack of support from upper management and there was no communication.

Well he immediately went ape s***. Long story short, on the drive home I get a call from him, I'm redundant effective immediately.

For those of you who may have followed my posts, I was in the plan of taking 6 months off end of July and am in a solid financial position, however I must admit. I was incredibly shocked by the whole thing.

1 employer = 1 income. Once again iterates the importance of investing from an early age.

Wasn't planning to. After the shock wore off, I still didn't mind :p

However, my colleagues have already shown their support after I messaged them, some have offered to speak up for me.

Bummer, do you get a decent payout?

Sounds like you could be much better placed elsewhere without needing to deal with that kind of crap.

From what you've said (and I'm no legal expert), surely there would be grounds to sue for unfair dismissal? Although entirely up to you on whether you wanted to pursue it, sounds like you'd be happy enough to leave well enough alone and move on to something better...

To simply give you the sack on the spot (more or less), without at least giving you some options to continue in your job like some sort of probation period, smacks of poor management practices. Performance reviews should be a two-way street after all...

From what you've said (and I'm no legal expert), surely there would be grounds to sue for unfair dismissal? Although entirely up to you on whether you wanted to pursue it, sounds like you'd be happy enough to leave well enough alone and move on to something better...

To simply give you the sack on the spot (more or less), without at least giving you some options to continue in your job like some sort of probation period, smacks of poor management practices. Performance reviews should be a two-way street after all...

It just ties into my plans and i was made 'redundant' not fired, so there will be some sort of payout, will see it on Monday, am going back to do a proper hand over. I may be taken aback by the PM's actions, but my colleagues shouldn't have to suffer my workload for it.

Have I ever mentioned something like 8 out of 10 of my mates are lawyers? They have already started sending me contact details for the 'right' lawyer for the job. LOL.

Not sure I'm bothered, would rather not cause a stir, though I will certainly be contacting HR to clarify, I worked for a large company, would hate my name to be tarnished by a guy i've never worked for. Could get him in deep water, he has physically thrown another guy out a few months back refused to let him say goodbye to everyone, this happened INFRONT of everyone btw.

Many years ago management were picking at me. For months I only had enough work to keep me occupied for half the day. I was really bored and asking for extra work. One particular Friday they gave me a really hard time. I came close to telling them to shove it, but I'm a fairly placid/patient person. On the Monday Morning I received a redundancy of $6,500. I think sometimes it's a business cost saving exercise. If they no longer need you and push your buttons and you don't quit they have no choice but pay you your entitlements.

Haha, awesome. This is the push you need to get out. Worked for me :)

If I could like this comment the way you can on facebook, I would :D

Exactly how I took it straight away. Am the always positive kinda guy.

Meanwhile, am taking my builders course and thinking mortgage brokering too this July, you wouldn't be up for having an apprentice would you, I have just come across an extra unplanned month of leave up my sleeve :p

(Seriously though, PM me if it would be something you would consider).

How long have you been there?

Not sure whether you're eligible for unfair dismissal, but in any case, I wouldn't lodge a claim, as they might have to reinstate you and then you'd have to go back. Sounds like that wouldn't work for anyone!

If you've been there long enough, and they said your role is redundant, you might be entitled to a redundancy payment. I'd write them a strong letter, mentioning redundancy payment, breach of employment contract, stress from lack of communication (and thinking about lodging a claim with Workcover as a result). You could also throw in discrimination if you can draw a vague link between being fired and things like race, carer's responsibilities, disability etc.

I used to work in HR, and you don't have to be eligible for any of these claims to scare them enough into giving you a settlement, so that you will sign a deed of release and go away. And if they don't, the worst they can do is ignore you.

How long have you been there?

Not sure whether you're eligible for unfair dismissal, but in any case, I wouldn't lodge a claim, as they might have to reinstate you and then you'd have to go back. Sounds like that wouldn't work for anyone!

If you've been there long enough, and they said your role is redundant, you might be entitled to a redundancy payment. I'd write them a strong letter, mentioning redundancy payment, breach of employment contract, stress from lack of communication (and thinking about lodging a claim with Workcover as a result). You could also throw in discrimination if you can draw a vague link between being fired and things like race, carer's responsibilities, disability etc.

I used to work in HR, and you don't have to be eligible for any of these claims to scare them enough into giving you a settlement, so that you will sign a deed of release and go away. And if they don't, the worst they can do is ignore you.

Was there 2.5-3 years.

Wasn't 'fired' was made redundant effective immediately. Am curious to see what the package is (will see it on Monday) My contract states 3? weeks minimum notice. Is this on top of the redundancy or part of it.

It was definitely directly related to the meeting as we weren't schedule to finish for another 1-2 months, and I was the one expected to go last as I knew what was going on.

Sorry to hear. I know even if one plans to take time off it can and does come as a rude shock. That's a very poor way of delivering it though. If that is where they were heading, they should have mentioned to you then and there. May be they couldn't face it!

The brighter side is you get a pay out and you get to do what you were going to do anyway.

Hey,

So a great reminder why I invest in the first place.

Had my annual review with my direct boss and the PM who I never work with.
Review was alright, 'your good at your job, could always improve, etc'.

At the end of the meeting, the PM said something which I disagreed with, and I asked if we could have open communication to which he stated that is what it was all about. I said I felt a lack of support from upper management and there was no communication.

Well he immediately went ape s***. Long story short, on the drive home I get a call from him, I'm redundant effective immediately.

For those of you who may have followed my posts, I was in the plan of taking 6 months off end of July and am in a solid financial position, however I must admit. I was incredibly shocked by the whole thing.

1 employer = 1 income. Once again iterates the importance of investing from an early age.

The two morales of the story is:

1. Your job is always riskier and friskier than your rental income
2. Just smile and nod in reviews and tell them everything is "going alright" (leave them guessing)

Ah yeah, I've been there. It's no fun and is certainly a character building time to go through..which will ultimately leave you better off as long as you have the right attitude

The two morales of the story is:

1. Your job is always riskier and friskier than your rental income
2. Just smile and nod in reviews and tell them everything is "going alright" (leave them guessing)

Agreed, even without my tenants paying last couple of months (at tribunal), they are insured and I can easily live off that rental income for 6 months.

Another guy was shafted today too, his contracted was ending today though, he just bought a brand new pimped out car. Let's just say, he wasn't as cool about it as I was...

So much for workplace communication, called my dad and told him. He said it happened to him once too. Amusingly after my review, my direct manager wrote I was ready for a promotion and got along well with my colleagues, the PM wrote I was disrespectful to management, my peers, the company and couldn't take criticism. Ironic much?

the PM wrote I was disrespectful to management, my peers, the company and couldn't take criticism. Ironic much?

You definitely don't want to be working in that sort of a culture.

Is this a government organisation? What background is he? Has he been brought up in the west?

When I worked with Asian colleagues from Hong Kong offices, I found they worked from a fear based dynamics and there was a big concept of respect/disrespect. They saw educated views as challenging authority. Basically most couldn't think for themselves. While in Sydney it's the complete opposite. I personally in contrast am happy to challenge anyone regardless of their position. Like...as a grad...asking the then CEO of the company at an induction lunch which left him gob smacked and without a response :D

They can't make you redundant, only the position ;)

Was it contract work, casual, full-time fixed term , or...

Might talk to a solicitor, see what my options are. Going back is not an option mind you. Just not sure this guy should be managing projects.

I was full time, project based for a large construction firm. Still had a month or so left of work to do.

Back