Fireplace - keep or cover up?

I've got a fireplace in my IP. Its one of those from the 50's.... not much character in my opinion, so I'm contemplating on removing it.

How much will it cost to remove it and replaster up this section.
Note: The house is actually a pre-fab house built out of concrete slab... i was told its called monocrete.

Or if its better to keep it, any suggestions on how it can be spruced up (the chimney is actually proper working chimney, there's a flat piece of tin sheet thats been wedged up there to prevent debris from falling into the house.

Attachments

• 16669321_2.JPG
    16669321_2.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 117
Personally I like fireplaces. I think they do add some character if done well, but they also have the potential to cause damage to the property.

Have you considered replacing the 'open' fireplace with a closed system? What about a gas system that looks like a fireplace? Safer, more efficient heating gives the room warmth, etc.

There's already an A/C there and the property doesn't have gas at the moment. Thinking of putting gas in... if Jemena let me.

I also like the look of fireplaces... i just don't like the look of this fireplace. Its literally bricks with a wooden plank on top. Not like the old school fire places which have patterns and are nicely designed.

Happy to keep it if there's a way to add some good character to it.

keep, until you have a better idea that doesnt cost too much money. While you dont think it has any character, likely tenants may have a diferent view.

at least its original, if your going to change the fireplace, then you might well have to change lots of other things too. Id leave it as is.

keep, until you have a better idea that doesnt cost too much money. While you dont think it has any character, likely tenants may have a diferent view.

at least its original, if your going to change the fireplace, then you might well have to change lots of other things too. Id leave it as is.

I want to renovate this IP and modernise it a bit.
1. Remove the pelmet on top of the window.
2. Repaint window jambs and skirting board (currently varnish) to white
3. Repaint walls
4. Change old curtains to roller blinds.

Not sure what I want to do with the fireplace in this instance.
Original thoughts was to remove the fireplace and patch it up. It would work better with the layout of the room if i did this.

I've got a fireplace in my IP. Its one of those from the 50's.... not much character in my opinion, so I'm contemplating on removing it.

Note: The house is actually a pre-fab house built out of concrete slab... i was told its called monocrete.

Or if its better to keep it, any suggestions on how it can be spruced up (the chimney is actually proper working chimney, there's a flat piece of tin sheet thats been wedged up there to prevent debris from falling into the house.

Just remove bricks, patch and paint. I would imagine.

$300-400 depending if paint is supplied.

What have you got in mind for the floor though? Wall is one thing, gap in wooden flooring is another.

Wasn't sure about that one.....

I thought that maybe if they put their couch over that spot the legs of the couch would clear it :)

Otherwise, it would have to be removed too and floor boards put back in.

I would keep it. Might be the only bit of character in the house. See if you can clean it up. Does the house have gas? Put a gas unit in there.

I would go an electric version of the fireplace as you have no gas.

Would need to get electrical cabling up to that point, would need to make a few holes if there is non there already. So still looking at a few $100. However, it will save you having to sort out the flooring.

Replace the banister, and add a mirror. Would look pretty nice.
I do like fireplaces.

https://www.google.com/search?q=electric+fireplaces

I wouldn't close it up. I like it.

Can you just leave it as it is? I don't think it is ugly at all, but perhaps if you don't want tenants lighting open fires, buy a firebox insert?

If you really think it is ugly, make it prettier. Check our Houzz or other design sites for inspiration.

I would be leaning toward rendering the surround, remove the mantle piece & install a gas or electric Fireplace. The roller blinds (2 layers) & modern colour scheme.

Grab a few architectural mags or view ideas online.

You could gas it up and leave it the way it is,there is something about fireplaces in houses I think they add a lot of value to a property plus all the people that would have sat around that fireplace over the years..

I would be leaning toward rendering the surround, remove the mantle piece & install a gas or electric Fireplace. The roller blinds (2 layers) & modern colour scheme.

Grab a few architectural mags or view ideas online.

Thanks Scott, I was running that idea through my head. Would you render and paint it the same colour as the wall? Or contrast the colour?

Two options ...

Cover it up to RENT it . Install reverse air-con for tenant heating/cooling.

Have it working to SELL it . And alight on 'open' days'

LL

You have the same sentiment as me LL.

I've already got an A/C.
This place will forever be a rental as far as I am concerned :)

Forever is a long time

To keep all your renters forever is an admirable goal. But with resi properties at low yield it is normally not practical when you retire. So always always buy with an eye to an exit strategy. LL

I'd suggest painting the brick work in a contrast colour to the walls, something non offensive like a light grey. An alternative to gas would be to put in an ethanol fire place. They look great, have great heat out put and it doesn't release any smoke.

http://www.ecosmartfire.com.au/

I would definitely keep it. I think that this minimalist look will have it's day again - not too far off. A minimalist mirror over the top...
Red brick is growing on me too.
Would try to clean those bricks somehow. Would put some kind of contained modern fireplace inside.

Back