Firewood - How Much Do You Pay?

Hello there - just wondering how much people pay for firewood say on a per kilogram basis? The other day I saw 15 kilogram bags at Shell service station selling for 3 bags for $36. This is 80 cents per kilogram or $800 per tonne.

In my area they sell firewood by the ute load and if split sells for roughly $160 to $200 per load delivered. I would say there would be 800kg per load. Therefore 20 to 25 cents per kilogram.

The reason for me asking this is we would have over 20,000 tonne of firewood on my property that we could start cutting up and wondering the best place to sell. I was originally thinking the Southern Highlands but it seems there is quite a bit of competition down there so prices are not as high as one would think.

This has been a long term plan of mine - last 20 years. We have let trees come up naturally over that time and estimate we now have 20,000 tonne of firewood growing with 500 tonne ready to go. It is not a sustainable business model as we will always grow more than we take - it will be and is a re-generative business model.

Hello there - just wondering how much people pay for firewood say on a per kilogram basis? The other day I saw 15 kilogram bags at Shell service station selling for 3 bags for $36. This is 80 cents per kilogram or $800 per tonne.

In my area they sell firewood by the ute load and if split sells for roughly $160 to $200 per load delivered. I would say there would be 800kg per load. Therefore 20 to 25 cents per kilogram.

The reason for me asking this is we would have over 20,000 tonne of firewood on my property that we could start cutting up and wondering the best place to sell. I was originally thinking the Southern Highlands but it seems there is quite a bit of competition down there so prices are not as high as one would think.

This has been a long term plan of mine - last 20 years. We have let trees come up naturally over that time and estimate we now have 20,000 tonne of firewood growing with 500 tonne ready to go. It is not a sustainable business model as we will always grow more than we take - it will be and is a re-generative business model.

Depending on your goal and capacity.

Have you wondered exporting wood to other countries, where wooden furniture is made. I would think that there would be a much higher demand compared to firewood

Firewood needs to be seasoned (dried out) or it does not burn efficiently.

I agree with selling it overseas, however, unless it's plantation grown, straight rows and straight trunks, then my not be any use other than firewood.

Arent there restrictions on firewood..? Not sure..:confused:

We pay nothing as we have enough on our property to last a veeeery long time. We were selling it last year $100 for approximately 2 metres. We were much cheaper than everyone else though due to not having many costs involved (we didn't pay for fuel and cut it all ourselves).

Average price in our area is $60-$80 per cubic metre of common wood. Redgum/sugar gum etc are more expensive at about $100-$150 per cubic metre.

Depending on your goal and capacity.

Have you wondered exporting wood to other countries, where wooden furniture is made. I would think that there would be a much higher demand compared to firewood

There are very strict specifications to how wood is processed. There is here anyway. They must be exact lengths, diameters, and knots of only certain sizes. Anything that doesn't fit in the specs is pulp.

Firewood needs to be seasoned (dried out) or it does not burn efficiently.

I agree with selling it overseas, however, unless it's plantation grown, straight rows and straight trunks, then my not be any use other than firewood.

Arent there restrictions on firewood..? Not sure..:confused:

There are licences and permits involved if you are harvesting the firewood yourself, yes.

You went about it the wrong way - you are supposed to lease out the plots to investors telling them that there may be a tax benefit, put a grand plan up about selling it overseas once it is all harvested, and ...........

The Y-man

You are comparing apples (by the ton at the factory door) with apples by the kilo at Coles.

Sugar is ~10c a kg - are you ready for several thousand tons to be delivered to your house to get this price.

What sort of firewood is it? There is big differences in price for certain wood. In my area, the very best and most expensive is usually ironbark. Then there is yellow and white box, often worth 75% as much as ironbark, and then there are rubbish woods that sell for maybe half or even less.

I like cutting firewood. I'd have enough to keep me going for ever, plus run a wood heated hottub, plus numerous bon fires during the year. Often thought if things went really bad and I had nothing, I could make a living from it even though it's bloody hard work. But the fitness would do me good. Doesn't take many hours to cut and split a few hundred dollars worth of wood, and if you can get it to the big smoke it's then worth double.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Get a gas heater ... much easier, cleaner and cheaper.

That wouldn't be correct in rural areas where firewood is cheap. But I'd believe it could be from what it seems you have to pay for wood in the city.

I've had gas heating. A modern wood heater leaves it for dead. Gas is easy and clean though I suppose?

See ya's.

I have cut firewood for us for years and find it a real chore . We have a lot of Sugargum and usually something comes down in the wind and often falls across a fence anyway . I bought a hydraulic splitter a few years ago but my two boys do all the splitting and stacking .

Red gum sells for a bit over $100 per metre and I buy a bit to mix with what we have cut . I the past I have cut up a lot of old red gum posts which make excellent firewood .

There was an article in the paper a while back about old red gum railway sleepers and how you shouldn't use them as they may contain asbestos residue from old brake linings off the trains .

Back