First commercial property - 1 million, lvr?

Hi all, I'm interested in making the transition from resiential to commercial property.

In your experience, If I were to find a property around 1 mil, with a good secure government tenant, eg 15 years with yields of 5.5 to 7 per cent, would a financier provide, or be more likely provide finance on the basis of 80 per cent lvr?

It depends upon what you think is unviable ie negatively geared with no prospects for capital growth? This would require you to model the net returns against different interest rates (sensitivity analysis).

say purchase $1m
interest @ 6% io
borrow 75%
net return 5.5% ebit

yr 1 cf +$10k
but if interest increased to 7.5% you would have a loss of $1250

is that unviable?

80% LVR is possible but a number of things need to line up properly to get there. The valuation needs to show a fairly low risk rating, as a borrow you need to be low risk, the property needs to be in a decent location and has to be of the right type.

The rates are higher too or course.

In many cases, an application will start with the lender saying they can do 80%, only for them to reduce it to 70% during the assessment process. By all means aim for 80%, but be ready to compromise to 70%.

...when you say location - do you mean population base of the area specifically ?

I was looking at the Finley NSW - link/example yesterday too and was surprised it came up.

There was a good example In Norlane VIC for $300K at about 10% return (smaller entry level commercial) but I can't find it anymore.

What does everyone make of this one, price-wise? location-wise? (i.e., the country town)

Appreciate comments on lending for this as an investment from the brokers.

http://www.commercialrealestate.com.au/property/2010807610/for-sale/wa/kalgoorlie/development-land

Last edited:
Appreciate comments on lending for this as an investment from the brokers.

many ( all ?) of the second tier lenders have quite restrictive conditions asto what LVR they will lend where.

Its a bit of a trade off to their lower risk non reviewable term loan products

ta

rolf

Back