First home, Brisbane, advice please

Hi all, new to the forum :)

My partner and I are considering purchasing our first home. We live in Brisbane and will definately be here for the next 18 months, and hopefully another two years after that (Army).

We would like to purchase around the end of this year, so we may only get to live in the house for one year, after which it would be rented out.

We would like to buy near my partner's work at Enoggera. We are complete novice's when it comes to property and know nothing. We have choosen the end of the year, so that we can add more $ to our deposit and also to spend a good amount of time learning and researching about the market.

Any advice appreciated. Where would you buy? Is Enoggera ok? Do you think prices will come down in the next 6 months? I am looking at houses on realestate.com and they seems to be a few around the 450k mark.

Budget I hope would be around $420,000. We make $150K pa between us.

Thanks!

I suggest you get in touch with the defence dept that manages rental houses for staff around enoggera. Find out what they are looking for and how much rent they pay.

I think historically they prefer enoggera keperra alderley, and to a lesser degree Everton Park/Hills and Albany Creek.

I'd suggest you buy as close to town as your budget will allow, near a train station, get as big a block of land, and a highset house you can put a granny flat under later.

You could also consider somewhere along Kedron Brook. There's a lot of greenspace along it with parks and bicycles and ovals. It has been beautified significantly over the last decade. If I was in your position I'd be looking at Gordon Park. It is increasingly popular with senior executives looking to rent or buy and borders upmarket Wilston.

Thanks WinstonWolfe.

Regarding defence properties, Defence Housing Authority (DHA) manages these. We are not looking to buy a DHA house as such as we want to occupy the premises initially and wouldnt want to lock ourselves into such a long term lease in case we get posted back to Brisbane, in which case we would want to live in our house again.

Defence personnel can either get rent assistance and therefore find their own rental property and there are no restrictions on the type of property they can rent. Or you can occupy a DHA owned property in which case the home needs to comply with the DHA criteria for suitable housing. Brisbane doesn't have enough DHA housing so some people have to find their own rental properties.

If we were to buy in Enoggera I think we would still capture the defence tenant market for people who can't get into a DHA property but still want to be close to work.

I will look in Gordon Park, thanks

I suggest you get in touch with the defence dept that manages rental houses for staff around enoggera. Find out what they are looking for and how much rent they pay.

I think historically they prefer enoggera keperra alderley, and to a lesser degree Everton Park/Hills and Albany Creek.

I'd suggest you buy as close to town as your budget will allow, near a train station, get as big a block of land, and a highset house you can put a granny flat under later.

You could also consider somewhere along Kedron Brook. There's a lot of greenspace along it with parks and bicycles and ovals. It has been beautified significantly over the last decade. If I was in your position I'd be looking at Gordon Park. It is increasingly popular with senior executives looking to rent or buy and borders upmarket Wilston.

This is good advice...

The north side market is very interesting at the moment. Bargains are popping up along the north-west corridor, I suppose a symptom of the current financial situation.

For 420K, you will get something decent, probably not in Enoggera, but near...

Back