First Home Buyers - Need Help

Hello Fellow SS,
Take my apologies if i bring the topics which already had discussed.
I'm a newbie here & Building my First home in West Sydney with 35 years Experienced Builders (not mentioning the name ). As I never build a house, I really don'r have any idea what to do and what not to do. When I/We sign the contract with builders they showed us what will happened(process) step by step (Sorry to mention this is Home & Land Package). My Land got registered it been three months & builders still on the process of pre-construction.
which I/we got an appointment for bricks & colour selection on 8th July 2015 & after that they will submit to council (maybe after 2 or 3 weeks).
Long story short-
*I want to know how you guys handle your first brand new building.
** What is your suggestion for people like me?
***tips & tricks.

Thanks in Advanced

Just in regards to colour choosing etc- don't choose anything crazy, stay neutral so in the future if you ever wanted to sell or rent out it would be much safer and easier

Jahid, My suggestion would be to create a timeline for yourself so you know what is going to happen when and make sure to follow up.

Not from personal experience but I have worked with build inspectors

1. Be seen and discuss the progress with the builder ( dont be a pain and just hang around)
2. If you see anything dodgy going on make sure you keep written records/ evidence and discuss with your builder
3. Dont be pressured into doing something your not happy with
4. Show the builder the respect and have a healthy relationship
5. Make sure you have someone who is independent and can do a check of the progress of the house. I.e. make sure you they are building to the plan.
6. Make sure you have all changes/ decisions in writing from both sides so there is no miscommunication.

Communication is key.

Hope that helps.

Back