First Home Owner Transfer Duty Exemption, PPoR, CGT and a Lodger

Does having assessable income from a property trigger a reassessment of the Transfer Duty Concession? As far as I can tell (Duties Act, Section 153) it does not.

Edit: Specifically, income from a lodger (no exclusive possession, no lease).

Sorry to bump my own thread...

I have sought advice on this from a lawyer and mortgage broker... lawyer says it would, mortgage broker says it wouldn't.

I also called the OSR, and the girl on the phone said it would trigger reassessment. She wanted to put me through to an assessor, but there were none available at the time, so I'm taking her view with a grain of salt.

I'll call the OSR again tomorrow and report back.

Re your legal Q

I assume you are referring to QLD Legislation,
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/consol_act/da200193/s153.html

This section reassessment of duty.

1) This section applies if......
(b) a transferee or lessee, within the year after the transferee's or lessee's occupation date for the residence, disposes of the land, other than because of an intervening event, by--

(i) transferring part or all of it; or

(ii) leasing or otherwise granting exclusive possession of part or all of it to another person; or ........

You are the transferee. Have you disposed of the land by
i) transferring it? I think not
ii) leasing it? maybe.
Did this lease grant exclusive possession of part of it to another person?

So I think your question comes down to this: Does renting a room mean granting someone exclusive possession?

Looking up "exclusive possession" in Butterworths legal Dict

"In relation to leased premises, control of those premises to the exclusion of all others. Indicators of a right to exclusive possession include physical control of locks and keys, a right to quiet enjoyment, and an obligation toyield up premises on expiry of lease...."

This is why I'm asking about a lodger - they do not have exclusive possession. As far as I understand, they also do not have a lease, only a license.

Mortgage broker spoke to solicitor and said:
I have spoken to the solicitor and she advises that as long as you do not enter into a Rental Agreement and therefore do not declare the income and deductions then there is no issues

If you have a lodger and he or she rents a room and you are living in the property and you simply receive some income (verbal agreement) then you should have no issues

It is a grey area given that you are living in the property, but the understanding is that as long as you do not declare income or deductions there should be no issues to address

If you have further concerns I was advised that you should speak with the OSR direct and be guided by what they say.

It seems that if I declare the income (which by all rights I think I should) then I would be reassessed.

It seems like one way (declaring the income) I'll annoy the OSR, and the other way (not declaring the income) I'll annoy the ATO.

Starting to think it's not worth the hassle. Might just live alone. /sigh

Just get a friend in, have them pay towards your expenses, don't claim any tax deductions and don't declare it. It is a friend staying with you. End of story.

Don't make it complicated.

My understanding is that this is okay by the ATO.

As quoted previously - http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?docid=ITR/IT2167/NAT/ATO/00001 :

Occupancy of part of a residence on the basis of the occupants' sharing household costs such as food, electricity and cleaning, etc.

18. What will be decisive in cases of this nature will be the characterization of the arrangements, i.e., do they produce assessable income. Situations arise where the owner of a residence permits persons to share the residence on the basis that all the occupants, including the owner, bear an appropriate proportion of the costs actually incurred on food, electricity, etc. Arrangements of this nature are not considered to confer any benefit on the owner. There is no assessable income and the question of allowable deductions does not arise.

19. Care should be taken to ensure, however, that what may be termed ordinary tenancy arrangements are not dressed up in the form represented by the above heading. If the owner were not party to the sharing arrangements or if the occupants made a fixed contribution to the owner for household costs, there would be a presumption that the payments made by the occupants contained an element of reward to the owner for the occupancy of the residence. Enquiries will be necessary in these cases to establish the extent of the benefit to the owner which should be included in his assessable income. Income tax deductions for losses and outgoings attributable to the residence would be determined on the same basis as applies under the heading "arms length letting of an identified part of a residence, e.g. a bedroom, with access to general living areas of the residence".

I understand that (18) is easy to do, but (19) says you cannot "dress it up" to look like (18).

Perhaps I'm over-cautious due to this being my first house, but if, for example, the lodger caused trouble and it needed to get legal - I'd be up for more than just loss of the Transfer Duty exemption.

I'd rather not keep it under the table, and as such I think the ultimate answer to my question is - no, I cannot take a lodger.

That said, thanks for all your help everyone! Much appreciated.

... and the other way (not declaring the income) I'll annoy the ATO.

This is the flaw in your argument.

If you declare the income from the lodger, then you are also entitled to claim the expenses. i.e floor m2 area of his/her exclusive rights bedroom as a % of the mortgage as a minimum. This would almost certainly be more than the board they are paying you, and as such would be negative geared. This NG is what annoys the ATO (not, not declaring the income).

IMO, you are being overly anxious about 'much to do about nothing'.

My son is in this situation and a school friend is staying there to help with bills and from all I have read here this is acceptable to the ATO.

Why not look for a friend, friend of a friend as opposed to a stranger or lodger?

My son is not trying to do anything wrong, is not claiming any deductions and just as well he didn't go down that path because it is not working out and his friend is looking for alternative accommodation.

This is why I'm asking about a lodger - they do not have exclusive possession. As far as I understand, they also do not have a lease, only a license.

Mortgage broker spoke to solicitor and said:

It seems that if I declare the income (which by all rights I think I should) then I would be reassessed.

It seems like one way (declaring the income) I'll annoy the OSR, and the other way (not declaring the income) I'll annoy the ATO.

Starting to think it's not worth the hassle. Might just live alone. /sigh

Are you really going to rely on advice from a mortgage broker who asked a question to a solicitor? How do you even know she asked the right question or told the solicitor all the information - or that the solicitor exists even?

Ringing the OSR will only give you their opinion of the law. Ask them for a binding ruling so that you won't be penalised if wrong.

And, I agree with the others that it is not worth all the worry. You may be looking at a few hundred dollars if you get it wrong. They are also unlikely to penalise you too much if you have a good argument for your position.

I don't think a person renting a room in a house would have exclusive possession.

Why does one have to be dodgy?

You could rent out a room at market rates and claim deductions in full.

Stamp duty is likely to not be reimbursable if you are not granting exclusive possession to part of the house.

Okay good news, I spoke to the OSR (finally got through) - and a lodger is okay as long as there is no exclusive possession.

I suppose I should then claim income and deductions and accept the CGT loss.

Alternatively, can this income not be declared as a "private and domestic" matter?

Depending on this, should I ask for payment in cash or bank deposit?

Does it alll really mreally have to be so complicated....

Isn't anyone allowed to stay anywhere anymore without a legal contract ?

Do we have to get lawyers & accountants involved too ?

Holy crap

I suppose I should then claim income and deductions and accept the CGT loss.

Alternatively, can this income not be declared as a "private and domestic" matter?

Depending on this, should I ask for payment in cash or bank deposit?

I wouldn't be claiming any income or making any deductions. I wouldn't be making it more complicated than it needs to be.

As far as I know, and from what has been said on this forum, the ATO is not worried about you having someone live with you and contribute towards your expenses.

It would be different if you were renting our five of your six bedrooms.

True, it's just hard with two polar opinions.

As TerryW says, I should claim the income - but then this would affect CGT and could also affect Transfer Duty Exemption if my understanding of "exclusive possession" and "lease" is incorrect. As per my other thread, it seems it would also affect the 6 year rule if I have a lodger immediately prior to going overseas.

If I don't claim, the here-and-now is much easier, granted. But, then I could be audited and found to be withholding info etc, which would, in turn, affect my CGT *without* the benefit of having claimed deductions.

Back