First Home Owner Transfer Duty Exemption, PPoR, CGT and a Lodger

I understand all that, and understand your concerns.

We have just gone through exactly this when our son bought his first PPOR. After reading on this forum, it appears to be the "accepted wisdom" that by having a friend live with him, sharing "expenses" as opposed to "paying rent", then he should be okay.

And his school friend is moving out on Saturday after they just didn't get along, so had our son claimed interest, declared rent, risked repaying his stamp duty execption and having to lose some of his CGT free position, he would have done all that and then find he is living on his own after only three months.

If it was clear cut then I would never have suggested he do the wrong thing by the ATO, the OSR or any other department. But it seems that this situation is one of those grey areas that is either "overlooked" or "allowed".

I don't know how many young people starting out who have a friend stay for a few months or a year whilst they get on their feet are audited, checked or get into trouble. Would be an interesting thing to know.

I just know that because it is a grey area, the advice I read was that the ATO was okay with the "friend sharing costs" set up. Of course, if my son didn't move in, or was doing something dodgy, or was deliberately trying to gain a benefit without following the rules, I would feel very differently.

I don't think you should claim the income. I think you could.

But you may be claiming $100 pw income, $5,000 pa. claiming 33% of all costs etc may mean you make a loss. Lets say it is $2,000 pa. From this you may save $600 in tax.

When you come to sell you will find 33% of your gain is assessable. If you may a $100,000 CG then maybe $33,000 of it. 50% discount brings this down to $16,500. This goes on top of your income. You may pay an extra $4,000 tax on this.

Is it worth saving $600 in tax to lose $16,500? What if the CG is larger?

Of course if you are renting a room then you should be declaring the income. But is it all worth it in the long run?

Back