First Home Owners Grant

W

WebBoard

I don't own any property at present, and I want to purchase an investment property. Is it possible (legally) to use the FHOG to buy a property and rent it out? Also, can you still receive tax deductions on a property if you use the FHOG?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Roger,

Here is some FHOG info that might be useful, you should note the word intended. Below that general info is a cut and paste from an earlier discussion on the forum.

The broad principles of the grant are:
· Eligible applicants are entitled to a one-off $7,000 payment.
· Eligible applicants must be natural persons, who are Australian citizens or permanent residents, who are buying or building their first home in Australia.
· To qualify for assistance, neither the applicant nor their spouse (or de facto) must have previously owned a home, either jointly, separately or with some other person.
· Entering into a binding contract or commencement of building, in the case of owner-builders, must have occurred on or after 1 July 2000.
· An eligible home will be located in Australia and will be a new or established house, home unit, flat or other type of self contained fixed dwelling that meets local planning standards.
· An eligible home must be intended to be a principal place of residence and occupied within a reasonable period.
· Assistance will not be means tested.
· Joint applicants will be restricted to a single application for a single property and only one payment of $7,000 will be made.
The grant assistance will not be means tested and joint applicants will be restricted to a single application for a single property and only one payment of $7,000 will be made. If the consideration of the home is less than $7,000 then the grant amount paid to the applicant will equal the consideration.

The cut and paste bit.

Is there a time limit placed on how long I have to occupy the property as my principal place of residence?

No, there has been no time set, although the applicants must move into the house within 12 months from settlement or completion of construction.

Upon purchasing my new house I have decided to rent it out for 6 months and then move in. Do I still qualify for the grant?

Yes, if the property is your principal place of residence at some time during the first 12 months then you meet this part of the eligibility criteria.

Lastly, you should also understand that purchasing an investment property without the FHOG does not mean you have no further entitlement to the FHOG. It can still be used to purchase your home down the track.

For further clarification ring the Office of State Revenue or its counterpart in your state. They were kind enough to clarify the above point re IPs for me.

Simon Macks
Mortgage Hunter

0425 228985

Reply: 1.1

Simon - can you please explain the statement - "Lastly, you should also understand that purchasing an investment property without the FHOG does not mean you have no further entitlement to the FHOG. It can still be used to purchase your home down the track."

How does this work?. does this imply that if you have never had a PPOR but have had one or more investment properties, that you could be eligible if you were to sell all the investment properties first?

Secondly, I have a friend who has recently married, his new wife has had a property from an earlier marriage (she no longer has the property), and my friend is a typical self employed battler who barely has two cents to his name and now supports 1 x wife + 3 kids + one kid on the way. It sounds like he is not entitled?
- obviously not your rules, but in these circumstances, appears to not include those who most need it

Reply: 1.1.1

Anonymous,

I rang the OSR in NSW to clarify a point discussed on the forum earlier. They told me that it was OK to buy an investment property from July 2000 (Date is from memory so check it if you need to!) and as long as it wasn't ever your home it didn't affect any entitlement to the FHOG. Unfortunately Investment properties purchased before this date did prevent any entitlement for the FHOG - why they chose this date is something the chap from the OSR couldn't answer.

I shouldn't think that there would be a requirement to sell this investment property but we didn't discuss this one so I shouldn't comment there.

Lastly it does sound like your friend has no entitlement however any broker or the Office of State Revenue will be able to clear it up with a few questions.

Simon Macks
Mortgage Hunter
0425 228985
[email protected]

Back