First Home Owners Grant

W

WebBoard

First Home Buyer's Grant
Date: 3/23/00
Time: 7:02:04 PM

Is it true that there are certain prerequisites required for a first home buyer to receive the grant promised after July 1st? I have heard that he/she has to have a savings history of at least 6 months and a specified amount has to be banked each month. Is this the case? I would be pleased to have some information about this.

With thanks, marion

Last edited by a moderator:
Crystal

Reply: 1

Re: First Home Buyer's $7000 Grant
Time: 10:52:39 PM

I rang the ATO and asked about the possibility of purchasing a property and living in it for a short amount of time, (in order to receive the $7000 grant) then moving out to make way for tenants. I was told that there was no minimum amount of time that you have to reside in your property! I will be speaking to my accountant - but I think I will purchase my first property after 1st July, and live in it for a few weeks before I rent the property! The application forms will not be available from the ATO until "around June". The following information is from http://www.tmb.com.au "The Mortgage Bureau" website. The ATO web site provided inferior information.

Now the Great News... With the re-introduction of the First Home Owners Scheme as part of the Federal Government's tax package next year there is now the extra incentive the market needs. From 1 July next year a once-only grant of $7,000 will be paid to eligible applicants to assist either by reducing the deposit amount required or covering transaction costs.

Who is Eligible? To be eligible you must:

(a) be an Australian citizen or permanent resident in Australia,
(b) be buying or building your first home in Australia;
(c) start living in the home within a reasonable timeframe.

For the first time eligibility under the scheme will not be means-tested and the benefit will only be paid for the purchase of an owner-occupied residence, not an investment property or holiday home.

It does not matter if you are purchasing a new or established home or if the property is in the city or a country town. It can be a flat, home unit or any other type of self-contained, fixed dwelling that meets local planning standards.

Neither you nor your spouse or other parties involved in the purchase can have previously owned a home either jointly or separately.

The scene is now set for a real estate boom reminiscent of the late eighties, if interest rates remain low and the cost of new home construction does not rise too sharply with the introduction of the GST. Watch out share market the real estate market is coming back!

Sue1

Reply: 1.1

Date: 3/26/00
Time: 1:49:41 PM

Hi Crystal

I'm surprised by your predictions for "a real estate boom reminiscent of the late eighties".

From what I understand the cost of building a new house will have to rise around 8% with the addition of the GST and the $7000 grant for new home buyers in most cases won't even cover this rise.

I can't see how this is going to encourage a property boom but I would like to hear more of your thoughts on this.

Cheers Sue1

Crystal

Reply: 1.1.1

Date: 3/27/00
Time: 8:49:50 PM

Hi Sue, I am not making any predictions! The information regarding $7000 grant is from "The Mortgage Bureau" website.

MHC

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Date: 3/24/00
Time: 7:28:28 PM

I understand that part of the eligibility criteria is that prior to purchase the buyer needs to have a specific savings record: e.g. saving a specified amount each months for six months. Is this correct? If so, does the six month period commence prior to July 1st or begin on July 1st making the purchase viable in January, 2001?

Crystal

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

Re: First Home Buyer's $7000 Grant & 50% Duties Discount
Date: 3/27/00
Time: 9:23:20 PM

Hi MHC, Information regarding "First Home Owner Grant Scheme" can be found at the following link- http://www.osr.nsw.gov.au/info-fhogs.htm

Information regarding "First Home Purchase Scheme" (50% duties discount, means tested) can be found at- http://www.osr.nsw.gov.au/osrfhp.htm

I have not found any mention of a six months saving history.

Les

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

Time: 11:15:40 PM

G'day Crystal,

I believe (?) that you must stay in for 6 months if you want to retain the lower Stamp Duty paid by a home buyer. Investors pay around double the Stamp Duty - and if you leave home (and rent it) before the 6 months, you could be hit with the difference.

I haven't checked this personally, but my son is doing just this (his 6 months is up this week, and he's as happy as a lark ;^) as he can now buy house #2 which will (in 6 months time) become IP#2.

FWIW,

Regards, Les

Crystal

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Time: 11:56:03 PM

Hi Les, Just curious...how can your son afford to buy his second IP within 6 months of buying his first? Under normal circumstances, it would take a few years to develop enough equity to buy IP number two...(am I missing something?)

Les

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Date: 3/24/00
Time: 11:19:02 AM

G'day Crystal,

Careful buying is the answer - he bought a "Mortgagee in possession" home at a discount, spent 6 months time (and a little money) and is expecting to revalue by an extra 15 - 20%.

Les

Back