first international flight, nervous YEP!

i will be taking my 9yo sweetheart to prague, for the school hols its a first for me boarding a new a380 biiig *** jet via dubai, for a two hr stop over, funny one waits 41 years to travel o/s and then its a rush to get passports , my other half is there for work so two week free accomadation for us, wow a new adventure, but i hope i don't catch this travelbug thing, its very expensive, :)

This is why God invented Phenergan and Mogadons.

Alcohol was also invented by the mythical Jesus, and is great for calming the nerves.

I am so envious. I was born to roam the planet I am sure. And shop. :D

Enjoy every minute. You will have the MOST amazing time.

We just returned from a 3 week trip abroad including an 11 night Mediterranean cruise and it was INCREDIBLE. We travelled with our three kids, 7yo, 6yo and 4yo, plus another family with a 5yo and 3yo!

Good luck resisting the travel bug!

Last edited:
Enjoy Craig- you'll have a blast! And 9 yr olds are the perfect travelling age. No screaming, pooey nappies or tantrums :D

Craig for safety reasons make sure you get a seat at the rear of the plane - you never see any planes reversing into mountains or other planes! :eek: ;)

Seriously tho, enjoy the trip. :)

pack everything you need for 3 days into your cabin bag......everything....

checked luggage that has to change planes at least once very often doesn't make it to where you are.

take as little as you possibly can. buy stuff when you get there if necessary.

wear a money belt or similar under your clothes and put all valuables in it, apart from a couple of hundred bucks and a spare credit card in your shoe/sock.

don't handle large amounts of cash in view of anyone.
don't give money to beggars.
don't look like doe eyed and lost.
don't get into taxis of drivers who come into the terminal to get your business.
don't leave valuables in hotel rooms. put in hotel safe.

be hypervigilant for your first 3-7 days there.
there's 150,000 foreign workers in Prague and the economy contracted over the last 18 mths.

Cover the downside and have a good time.

pack everything you need for 3 days into your cabin bag......everything....

checked luggage that has to change planes at least once very often doesn't make it to where you are.
ahh, do you have a graph or stats to back this up WW?
cos I've travelled all over and now regularly travel to Asia for work and I have NEVER lost my luggage. NEVER.

wear a money belt or similar under your clothes and put all valuables in it, apart from a couple of hundred bucks and a spare credit card in your shoe/sock.
The when you need to buy something it's a simple as stripping off to find your cash, or pull your shoes off and give the cashier some stench ridden bill.
This won't make you look any more touristy than just some dude with a wallet and some cash btw, most czechs keep their money in their shoes and their keys up their noses, true fact :cool:

there's 150,000 foreign workers in Prague and the economy contracted over the last 18 mths.
so that would mean they have probably buggered off back to romania or wherever else they came from no? Prague aint exactly cheap for accomodation if you aint working WW.

Craig, have a great time, eat plenty of Klobasa and drink lots of cheap beer while you are there :p
As for the comments above, I'd just say don't hang around the main station (Hlavni Nadrasi) for any longer than you need to but other than that Prague is a safe place IMO.

Agreed.. no need to be paranoid :) but.. I always travel with one days change of clothes in my carry on (just in case) and "tourist" around with only enough cash "on me" (ie: visible) for one day's budget only. Apart from the obvious minor threat of theft...one day's budget money helps stop the "hell I am on holiday..it is worth it!!" spending :)

Other than that.. just the usual tips of letting family and friends know where you should be on an rough itinerary and ahve a copy of your passport and insurance details emailed to a trusted family member so you can access if need be :) and carry a copy of same ON you at all times.

Remember that every day 1000's of people travel OS with absolutle NO problem...but (like all things in life..) due dilegance helps prevent traps.

ahh, do you have a graph or stats to back this up WW?

You've got it all figured Goose. Why do you need a chart?

cos I've travelled all over and now regularly travel to Asia for work and I have NEVER lost my luggage. NEVER.

You got a chart of how many flight connections you've made Goose?

The when you need to buy something it's a simple as stripping off to find your cash, or pull your shoes off and give the cashier some stench ridden bill.
This won't make you look any more touristy than just some dude with a wallet and some cash btw, most czechs keep their money in their shoes and their keys up their noses, true fact :cool:

so that would mean they have probably buggered off back to romania or wherever else they came from no? Prague aint exactly cheap for accomodation if you aint working WW.

Considering you are a well traveled international man of mystery Goose, how about filling us in on the Czech sterilization policy of Romani's and showing some stats on pick pocketing hot spots and heroin addiction in Prague....that's if you got into the culture in any other way apart from drinking lots of cheap beer. Then fill us in on the risk of hepatitis and diarrhea, and the quality and cost of health care.

Craig, have a great time, eat plenty of Klobasa and drink lots of cheap beer while you are there :p
As for the comments above, I'd just say don't hang around the main station (Hlavni Nadrasi) for any longer than you need to but other than that Prague is a safe place IMO.

That's right Craig, all the pick pockets that can afford to live in Prague never stray from the train station :rolleyes:

And to add to WW's advice - Listen to your wife! :p given she's already over there she'll have a good measure of the place.

Count off the seats rows to the exit- try to be 7 or less rows- wear seat belt as much as possible- regular walks to head off DVT and what Rixter said.

Should be a phat trip.

i will be taking my 9yo sweetheart to prague, for the school hols its a first for me boarding a new a380 biiig *** jet via dubai, for a two hr stop over, funny one waits 41 years to travel o/s and then its a rush to get passports , my other half is there for work so two week free accomadation for us, wow a new adventure, but i hope i don't catch this travelbug thing, its very expensive, :)

Your not alone Craigb, Me 40 , My partner has finally got me out of this country
in November to HK and am not looking forward to the flight.

Im a big fan of Air crash investigators and have just finished watching the reruns.

I'm a person who always needs to be in control especially driving and find
it hard not to be able to know about who is piloting the plane, how old they
are, how much experience, did they get a good night sleep before departure.
I want to see there authority card like in a taxi and bus.

I'm positioned towards the rear next to the exit.

I wonder if they ever lose the keys to start these planes.

I'm dying to have a flight on an A380.

When overseas, be alert, but not alarmed, Craig.

Every time I go to a city I've never been to, I do one of those lame city tour bus things. They're the best way to get a handle on a new place.

On the luggage thing, I've flown loads of times, occasionally on some pretty dodgy airlines, and never lost a piece of luggage. When I've travelled with my wife, I have often hoped some of her luggage might go missing, but it never has. Good advice, though, to take some emergency stuff in your carry-on bag.

On a domestic flight, I did once bring someone else's bag home from the airport, though. It was a late evening flight. We live pretty close to the airport and I got back there to see my bag forlornly going round on the belt all by itself. There was no sign of anybody else, so I rooted through the guy's luggage, found a phone number, and delivered his bag to him in the city. He was chuffed.

Wow, Craig, enjoy yourself and lets talk when you get back !!!!

Go and get a prescription for valium, I never fly without taking some....better still, i'll give some of mine :)(they are a pretty low dose, they just take the edge off)

US airline stats say about 1 in 150 people get separated from their baggage.

Over ~15 return flights to the USA, with 3-4 connections each way, I was separated from my checked baggage at least 6 times. It is very common when one flight is late for connections.

Back