First IP - looking at Forrestfield WA

Is there anyone here who can give a definite word about re-zoning in Forrestfield (and Kalamunda shire overall) given that Kalamunda and Belmont are supposed to be merged next year..? I live in Forrestfield, one of those ideal blocks to be sub divided and I received shire's letter saying it's been proposed for zone changes but as to be expected, it doesn't say anything about how certain it would be and how long that could take.. Now that merging drama comes along the way, I am beginning to have doubts whether Belmont will proceed with shire's proposal what so ever.. Can anyone shed a light on this please? Cheers

no.

nothing is a foregone conclusion until the Government Gazette is released.

no mergers are likely.

Belmont is a reasonably pro-development council. If anything I would think it would enhance the probability.

.... "pro development" meaning "as long as you comply with 5.7.3 of the TPS".

In dealing with development applications involving or contemplating development of land
within any of the flexible coded area up to a maximum density of R50 depicted on the
Scheme Map, the base R20 code shall apply to any dwelling but may, at the discretion of
City, be increased to a higher code up to the maximum specified provided:
(a) The frontage of the lot is not less than 16 metres.
(b) Any existing building or development which, in the opinion of the City, is of low
quality and incapable of being upgraded to a standard commensurate with new
development is demolished; and
(c) Developments of two or more dwellings shall have a minimum side setback of 6
metres between the side wall of the first dwelling fronting the public street and the
side boundary of the parent lot; and
(d) Rear dwellings shall be designed so that si
gnificant sections of the front elevations
have an outlook to, and be visible from the public street; and
(e) Single storey dwellings shall be permitted only up to an R30 density with a mix of
single and two storey dwellings up to a density of R40 provided that 50% or greater
of the dwellings are two storey; and
(f) Solid external or internal fencing is not permitted where, in the opinion of the City,
views from dwellings to the public street will be limited; and
(g) Dwellings located on the front portion of a lot, or where there is more than one
street frontage, shall be oriented to address the public street(s); and
(h) Dwellings located adjacent to public open space shall be oriented to provide
informal surveillance of public areas; and
(i) Solar design principles shall be incorporated in the dwelling design; and
(j) For developments that propose dwellings adjacent to each other, carports and
garages shall be incorporated into the house design so they do not dominate the
appearance of the dwelling and the streetscape; and
(k) Development on corner lots or lots with more than one frontage shall have
driveways from the street with lesser traffic; and
(l) The number of crossovers for any development shall be minimised.

note the 'and' at the end of every sub-clause - not "and/or", "or" etc.

must comply with each and every clause.

.... "pro development" meaning "as long as you comply with 5.7.3 of the TPS".

note the 'and' at the end of every sub-clause - not "and/or", "or" etc.

must comply with each and every clause.

Aaron, are these conditions or have you taken this from another specific shire? Is this from Kalamunda?

Aaron, are these conditions or have you taken this from another specific shire? Is this from Kalamunda?
They are from the Belmont LPS. These provisions only apply to flexible coded lots. My lot in City of Belmont is R20/40, so if I want to go above R20, I need to comply with all the relevant provisions. Note that not all apply. For example, (h) (j) (k) don't apply to my lot because it is not adjacent to POS, the dwellings won't be adjacent and it is not a corner lot.

They are from the Belmont LPS. These provisions only apply to flexible coded lots. My lot in City of Belmont is R20/40, so if I want to go above R20, I need to comply with all the relevant provisions. Note that not all apply. For example, (h) (j) (k) don't apply to my lot because it is not adjacent to POS, the dwellings won't be adjacent and it is not a corner lot.

Makes sense. This is what I've asked for from the Shire of Kalamunda regarding the lots zoned R20/R30...

Makes sense. This is what I've asked for from the Shire of Kalamunda regarding the lots zoned R20/R30...

it seems only the draft local housing strategy mentions R20/30 - pretty much 2 years old today.

is the lot you are looking at CURRENTLY R20/30, or R20?

R20/30 is the bright green area in the DLHS.

the DLHS is investigating how to allow the upcode, what criteria is required etc.

probably min frontage and certain other access / height issues.

so really, speculating at best. you may have a lot codes R20/30, but it may never come to pass for your lot individually.

this is why buying in areas "earmarked" for upcodings is always a speculative punt. legislation is not legislation until it is passed.

Attachments

• DRAFT-LOCAL-HOUSING-STRATEGY-DOCUMENT.pdf - Adobe Reader.jpg
    DRAFT-LOCAL-HOUSING-STRATEGY-DOCUMENT.pdf - Adobe Reader.jpg
    615.7 KB · Views: 125
it seems only the draft local housing strategy mentions R20/30 - pretty much 2 years old today.

is the lot you are looking at CURRENTLY R20/30, or R20?

R20/30 is the bright green area in the DLHS.

the DLHS is investigating how to allow the upcode, what criteria is required etc.

probably min frontage and certain other access / height issues.

so really, speculating at best. you may have a lot codes R20/30, but it may never come to pass for your lot individually.

this is why buying in areas "earmarked" for upcodings is always a speculative punt. legislation is not legislation until it is passed.

http://www.kalamunda.wa.gov.au/files/5f358efd-cc8e-470c-8fc3-a30000c472b0/FORRESTFIELD.pdf

R20/30 on this from 2014

okay cool - adopted March last year.

can't find a policy in place just yet - these are "guidelines" inside a statement of intent.

Dual Density Codes:
Each Housing Opportunity Precinct is proposed to include dual density R-Codes, e.g., R20/R30. This is where the lower R-Code (R20) will apply unless the criteria for the higher R-Code (R30) are fulfilled. The criteria for the higher R-code will be outlined in a ?Dual Density Code Policy?, and will address environmentally sustainable/energy efficient building design, water sensitive design, compatibility with surrounding lower density development and good urban design.
The aim of the dual density code approach is to encourage new development to contribute positively to the environment and streetscapes of the respective areas.
The objectives of dual density codes are:
To promote the application of higher density codes where specific design criteria are met. (These design criteria will be chosen and included in a new local planning policy to ensure more sustainable, aesthetically pleasing and safer built form outcomes are achieved.)
 To promote orderly and proper planned infill development in areas identified by the Local Housing Strategy.
 To set clear guidelines for infill development control through a statutory planning framework.
 To promote more diverse, affordable housing options to cater for demographic needs.
 To encourage passive surveillance, safety and designing out crime.
 To enhance streetscapes.

http://online.planning.wa.gov.au/LP...(Scheme 3)/Map 03 - Forrestfield Locality.pdf

^^^ when the change shows up here it will be ratified.

Thanks HD. I am thinking more a couple years away when I would actually develop the property. At this time I'd just purchase the property and rent it. I'm just trying to make sure the place I buy has the potential to retain and subdivide.
1Y3qxcA.png

No probs. I think you will need to leave 1m clearance between the eaves at the back of the property and your new boundary so its less than 340sqm. Aaron, MTR or Westminster can confirm. See Aus Building Codes "3.7.1.7 Allowable encroachments". Its free online.

I also started with these retain and develop blocks but i waited 6 years for the right time. This was a bad idea as i was negative geared and also since i choose to build after 6 years then i missed out on potential rent and i paid an extra 40k to build the same house.

1.5m from the rear of the house wall - odds are there's a habitable room window along the back there.

3.7.1.7 must relate to the BCA - now the NCC. Will have to find the new clause.

your boundary must be 1.0m from the rear of the house (if no bedroom / living room windows in the wall OR wall is under 9m long) or 1.5m from the rear of the house (opposite of previous criteria).

allowable encroachments is covered in the new National Code of Construction (NCC) now, not the superseded Building Code of Australia (BCA).

and it's STILL clause 3.7.1.7 !!! lol.

your boundary must be 1.0m from the rear of the house (if no bedroom / living room windows in the wall OR wall is under 9m long) or 1.5m from the rear of the house (opposite of previous criteria).

allowable encroachments is covered in the new National Code of Construction (NCC) now, not the superseded Building Code of Australia (BCA).

and it's STILL clause 3.7.1.7 !!! lol.

Yeah, you'd definitely assume there's a window for a bedroom at least on the back wall.

Here's an email I got from the Shire of Kalamunda's planning Coordinator.
I queried what would conditions would need to be met to obtain the higher density coding when there is split coding as well what stage they're at with the new strategy;

Yes, the strategy has been adopted, but the new zonings and codings have yet to be implemented. We have a had a consultant undertake some research on the new provisions to be placed in our Local Planning Scheme and to write up some planning policies. Because we intend to introduce ?split codings? our Planning Scheme does not currently have appropriate provisions to deal with how this should work. Unfortunately there has been a delay in getting all this finalised, but we hope to get something up to Council in the next month or two to start the process in getting the densities changed as per the strategy.

I have attached an extract from the Residential Design Codes, which sets out the minimum and average lot area in each of the densities. You will need to read this in conjunction with the new Planning Scheme provisions and policies as the current thought is to achieve the higher of the split codings, there is likely to be some performance criteria a subdivider or developer would need to achieve. In other words the higher density won?t necessarily be ?as of right?.

? From what the email says they just haven't decided on the conditions.

But why choose a split density then?
Normally they know they want it for a reason - to retain existing homes, to ensure it has adequate frontages, to increase 2 storey homes, to only have it on corner lot etc etc

So they go create the rules, then decide where that density is most relevant.

Just seems backwards to assign it to an area but not know what those conditions are.

they have a policy that allows them to implement it.

they haven't done it yet because they want some conditions for approving the higher density.

sounds pretty normal to me - from a policy point of view.

Back