First IP - looking at Forrestfield WA

Okay that makes sense, so you don't think subdividing to a battle axe and leaving the existing house is using the full zoning potential? I as under the impression to stear clear of 2 story in this area as well though.

There are options options options. And of course depends on what conditions they put on R20/40.

You need to do the sums on all of them and work out what is best financially

#1: retain and build behind
#2: retain and sell rear block
#3: retain and build a villa at very rear of block then demolish front house and build 2 there.
#4: demolish and build 3 single storey could be 3 x 3 bed, 2bath with single garages
#5: demolish and build 3 villas of 3 x 2 with double gge , 2 x 2 single gge, 2 x 2 single gge

The sums should lead you. Surprisingly it is sometimes the simplest of retain and sell off rear block that creates the best % return.

There are options options options. And of course depends on what conditions they put on R20/40.

You need to do the sums on all of them and work out what is best financially

#1: retain and build behind
#2: retain and sell rear block
#3: retain and build a villa at very rear of block then demolish front house and build 2 there.
#4: demolish and build 3 single storey could be 3 x 3 bed, 2bath with single garages
#5: demolish and build 3 villas of 3 x 2 with double gge , 2 x 2 single gge, 2 x 2 single gge

The sums should lead you. Surprisingly it is sometimes the simplest of retain and sell off rear block that creates the best % return.

This helps a lot Westminster, thanks mate.
With this, would you ever do that and then sell one of the front two blocks or would you build it yourself to make sure all are the same? or for better return usually etc?

With this, would you ever do that and then sell one of the front two blocks or would you build it yourself to make sure all are the same? or for better return usually etc?

You could do either - there is option 6 for you to do the sums on :)

Whatever makes the most money while considering risk vs reward vs timeframe. And also whatever strategy gets you to your goals sooner.

Until you can see the policy its all speculation on what council are wanting to achieve. They may not allow subdivision without building first or may require a minimum land sized lot etc etc.

Once you know the requirements then go through all possible options for the best outcome.

Best of luck with it all

The said if you do the bare minimum then you get lower code. If you pretty up the front house or build new then you should get the higher code (policy is still being drafted so it's not 100% confirmed) . They want new stock on smaller lots and they said there was a big problem with these large blocks with low zoning. All that could change with public comments

To you local Perth guys - D.T, Tano, Westminster, HDACE etc - Do you have a building inspector that you trust and does a thorough job with a detailed report? Obviously the REA has recommended one but I'd rather get someone independent.

edit/:
I deleted my post because for some reason i thought you were buiilding a new house (brain is mush)

Last edited:
At r40 it's a 3 unit site but one or two of the dwellings will have to be 2 storey unless you are building 2x2s. Eg 230sqm block is about 120sqm of house including garage. I'm building at the rear and leaving the old house at the front. When zoning goes through her I will knock down the front house and build 2 in its place

Tano, I only just realized you said that you were already building on the back of your block, is this your property in High Wycombe? Also from my very basic knowledge in regards to subdivision, is the fact that you're doing it before the rezoning has gone through a regular thing to do?

I also wanted to ask the same; my house also is in Forrestfield and is proposed to be rezoned 20/30 but I thought sub division is not possible until the proposed rezoning goes through. However I'd love to know that it's possible even beforehand so that I can start working now?

Just wondering if Shire decides to cancel the proposed rezoning, then what happens to your work at the back? Or am I missing something here?

To you local Perth guys - D.T, Tano, Westminster, HDACE etc - Do you have a building inspector that you trust and does a thorough job with a detailed report? Obviously the REA has recommended one but I'd rather get someone independent.
i've used this guy twice in 4 years - he's an actual structural engineer - most are not..

http://www.take2.net.au/

not cheap, but its not something you want to skimp on in my opinion.

I'm in high Wycombe and developing part of the block before zoning changes. I won't title the new house until after zoning changes go through

I'm in high Wycombe and developing part of the block before zoning changes. I won't title the new house until after zoning changes go through

I've got many question for you mate.. (Sorry for hijacking but I think these questions are more or less common for OP as well)

1) Don't you think you're risking too much to spend for building without a formal approval for zoning proposal? You seem to be 100% sure about zoning but how? (I've been told they may take ages and haven't you ever wonder you'll have to wait and see for zoning to go through even after building is complete..?)

2) How did you get the permission/building approval/utilities & services like water and sewer/Power etc from Shire and relevant authorities without zoning approval?

3) In case if zoning doesn't go through even after house construction is complete, what would be your options? Can it be still rented out? How the services will be billed without a title?

Thanks a lot..

I've got many question for you mate.. (Sorry for hijacking but I think these questions are more or less common for OP as well)

1) Don't you think you're risking too much to spend for building without a formal approval for zoning proposal? You seem to be 100% sure about zoning but how? (I've been told they may take ages and haven't you ever wonder you'll have to wait and see for zoning to go through even after building is complete..?)
Its a 2 unit site if zoning does not go through and i will have one old house and one new house. If i get the R40 then its a bonus because it will be a 3 unit site after i knock down the old house and replace with 2 new houses.

2) How did you get the permission/building approval/utilities & services like water and sewer/Power etc from Shire and relevant authorities without zoning approval?
Im building a new house at the back and leaving the front. Its currently zoned R25 on 890sqm so its approved under the old zoning codes.

3) In case if zoning doesn't go through even after house construction is complete, what would be your options? Can it be still rented out? How the services will be billed without a title? Thanks a lot..

Rent out the old house at front (currently rented), and rent out the new house. It does not need a title to be rented (Can cause problems with the PM looking for proof of ownership). It will heavily affect valuations with 2 houses on 1 title BUT if i split it into 2 titles now (old house and new house) then i will have to pay again for re-titling when i split into 3 houses when its R40.

I had a property in Morley like this with 2 houses on 1 title and both rented for a few years until i seperated them. Council will still charge you 2x council rates and you dont need 2 titles to have seperate water, gas and power meters. Most built strata is like this were you get gas,water, power whilist you are building and then titles after you build (builders need the power and water on site during building). Im just waiting 18months (for zoning) instead of a few months after completion before i get titles

Thanks for the detailed answer.. This makes perfect sense now.. You already have got sub dividable block even without proposed zoning which is why you're not worried. LOL (You should have mentioned this in the first place.. Ha ha..)

Anyways, my block is only R20 and just over 700 m2 so not sub dividable until proposed zoning goes through..:(

Do you really think it's 18 months away? I thought people were talking it to be 18 months away about two years ago as well.. I would have expected it to take place within next year.. What do you reckon? Any inside information/leaks about this?

Thanks again guys...

Do you really think it's 18 months away? I thought people were talking it to be 18 months away about two years ago as well.. I would have expected it to take place within next year.. What do you reckon? Any inside information/leaks about this?

Thanks again guys...

Anyones guess.

All you can do is hurry up and wait.

Back