First IP. Should I get into the market at all costs?

Hi,

Can't help with the IP advice, (I'll be looking for that myself over the next couple of years).

But, I am lead draftsman for one of the biggest shop detailers in Melbourne. We are always on the look out for good, hard working drafters and you seem to have a great attitude from your posts.

I can't say we have any openings at the moment, but please feel free to PM me a little bit of info about what you do, who you currently work for, what software you use and the kind of projects you have drafted. A CV would be great if you have one.

Don't do yourself down as a draftsman, it is a great career and I know of companies in Melbourne that pay $100k plus for top drafters if they can drive the right software and have the right experience. It's also a job that can take you all over the world if you so wish, (it got me here from the UK).

So, as I say, if you're intersted in seeing what else is out here as far as job prospects go, then PM me some more detalis about yourself.

If you're not interested, no worries. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Tone.

I was going to say something along those lines. A friend of mine is on almost 100k.

I too would like to study this at TAFE next year (after i finish my science degree this year). After a couple of years working, there is no doubt that I would be looking at registering myself with the builders practitioners board as licensed drafty. This on the side as well as paid employment could net at least 20k extra a year i think.....

Which road would you take? Knuckle down and pay off debts? Or throw everything in the ring and get in the IP market ASAP?

I'm going to opt for "Knuckle down and pay off your debts". You are not in a financial position to buy an IP yet, and your plans to buy an IP as you've laid them out have the real possibility of sending you broke.

At 26 the world is your oyster. You have time, you have family, you are living in the lucky country, you have food ,you have shelter, you have freedom.

What more is there to have???

Yeah, I may have been being a bit dramatic eh? I guess at times I feel a little 'stuck' and i'm worried that i'll end up going nowhere.

I just have to keep telling myself that I have time on my side.

So, as I say, if you're intersted in seeing what else is out here as far as job prospects go, then PM me some more detalis about yourself.

Done! :)

Yeah, I may have been being a bit dramatic eh? I guess at times I feel a little 'stuck' and i'm worried that i'll end up going nowhere.

I just have to keep telling myself that I have time on my side.

Done! :)

The book by Napoleon Hill; "Think and Grow Rich" is great for setting your mind in the right path.

When I first read it, I thought it was all a bit flowery and idealistic guff, but thinking back, I realise it is very accurate.

Another saying I believe in is; "You become what you think about most".

Again, very non-specific and easily dismissed, but when you analyse where you are now and what your thoughts have been in the past, you'll see that you have gotten to where you are now by mostly how you were thinking.

Therefore, set a path in your mind of where you want to end up, and what you need to do to get there and you will find that subconsciously you will gravitate in that direction.

The fact that you are here on SS is an important factor; you are already on the path.

Keep walking and stay on the path.

Again, very non-specific and easily dismissed, but when you analyse where you are now and what your thoughts have been in the past, you'll see that you have gotten to where you are now by mostly how you were thinking.

That's so true. When I look back at where I was 18 months ago, compared to where I am now, it blows me away.
I had nothing to lose, so I chose to dream and think big while taking action in alignment with those thoughts. The results were astounding, to say the least.
Each time I push the boundaries of my comfort zone, those boundaries just move further out and the "zone" gets larger and more rewarding all the time.
Like it says on my business cards and Players sig block - Wahtever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
It worked for me :)

The book by Napoleon Hill; "Think and Grow Rich" is great for setting your mind in the right path.
I'll have to give that one a try, thanks for that!

Another saying I believe in is; "You become what you think about most".

Probly a bit of truth in that. I know that I haven't really pushed myself yet, and my position probly reflects that...

That's so true. When I look back at where I was 18 months ago, compared to where I am now, it blows me away.
I had nothing to lose, so I chose to dream and think big while taking action in alignment with those thoughts. The results were astounding, to say the least.
Each time I push the boundaries of my comfort zone, those boundaries just move further out and the "zone" gets larger and more rewarding all the time.
Like it says on my business cards and Players sig block - Wahtever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
It worked for me :)

That's advice i've been given before. Stay out of your comfort zone. Keep setting goals. I really need to work on that. How did you motivate yourself to do it? How do you keep it up?

I guess that's why they call it a comfort zone, i'm comfortable here :)

(Love your sig btw...)

Back