First Property Areas in Melbourne

I think hoppers xing is undervalued also. You can find a great house in the older areas, on massive blocks. There are some great little pockets.

Just dont plan on owning a car there, or if you do, plan on not owning it for much longer. Hoppers crossing is number one in car thefts according to the RACV.

Top 10 Incident Suburbs: Theft of car
Hoppers Crossing
Dandenong
Frankston
Preston
St Kilda
Footscray
Broadmeadows
Cranbourne
Glen Waverley
Richmond

OMG my poor car!! I love my car.. Spidermans advice is super good! Actually spot on with my accountant.. but this is for my PPOR as well until I can upgrade later down the track...

I've been to Hoppers.. umm while there I had some impatient young hoon driving aggressively up my rear end with head lights off for a good 4 mins... So yeah I'll leave those kind areas for future IP's if I have ability. Just after a livable area with good steady long term growth..

Also Im tossing up if I prefer green leafy areas close to my existing family or out in the west closer to work and beach. Just have to spend time in those areas and find out for myself..

I've seen some great properties all around the outer suburbs that I like but quite a few dont have an existing garage inplace. Whats involved with installing a garage in terms of council approval in general?

I believe free standing structures are less strict, and theres probably some rule with height and distance from fence line, just loudly logically thinking here.

Just dont plan on owning a car there, or if you do, plan on not owning it for much longer. Hoppers crossing is number one in car thefts according to the RACV.

Top 10 Incident Suburbs: Theft of car
Hoppers Crossing
Dandenong
Frankston
Preston
St Kilda
Footscray
Broadmeadows
Cranbourne
Glen Waverley
Richmond

I'm not convinced that these statistics are that worthwhile. And even if they are they are there is little relationship between crime stats and capital growth (indeed some of Melbourne's blue chip suburbs have high burglary rates).

They are also big suburbs, so of course there'll be more cars stolen from there than localities like Travencore, Coatesville, Coonans Hill or Pennydale. If taking stats seriously it would also be worth checking if they're suburbs or police districts (which might be larger still).

All the above places have large car parks at railway stations (where thieves know cars will be unattended for 8+ hours) and/or big shopping or entertainment areas. Looking at it the other way it also means that they've got great facilities and infrastructure, so will always attract tenants and others moving in.

I suspect that behaviour and car usage affects the probability of theft more than where you live. Eg if you keep the car garaged most times and have shops and transport within walking distance, the probability of theft will be higher than someone who parks & rides or frequents big shopping centre car parks.

And even if risk is higher, while it's a hassle, saving $100k on a mortgage, hence allowing the earlier purchase of IPs, will be far better in the longer run than worrying about a $15k car having a somewhat higher risk of going missing (especially if insured).

Have the original poster consider Melbourne north east, like Diamond Creek, Greensborough etc. These are nice areas, with a lot of trees and with train stations, can buy reasonably good house in these area below $550K I think. But capital growth wise, may not be as good.

Personally I think Point Cook is a nice area to stay, with the Wynham (?) Harbour, Cory High School ( next year in Werribbe) and William Landing station all coming up, but again, like other new estate, I am doubtful on the capital growth.

Back