First property

Hi guys

So I was interested int he upcoming Calleya by stockland looking to release in Perth. It should be in one or two weekends if you're lucky enough to get on the shortlist.

Never bought a property, never really known much about investing in a decent one. I know this is very wishy washy, but given the time constraints, i was just wondeirng if people could share their best checklists and 'things to know' before going into buying your first property. I did notice this checklist:

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1195952#post1195952

But was also wondering if there were some pdfs, online blogs, articles that outlined a quick fast approach for a newbie with limited time to know what they're getting into, assess future capital value growth and rental returns, what government bodies, agencies etc to check for future local developments, planning restrictions, learning all about the zoning and how this works in property.

Basically an intro for the newbie, about everything and anything relevant. Look I'll be realistic, being keen with shares i know real estate is no exception - there are probably hundreds of books, and years ahead of experience and learning that I'm asking for in 2 weeks.

But if there are several sources covering all of the above, i'd rather go in to buying having remembered one or two key factors, and would hope you'd all be kind enough to impart your wisdom and share with me.

Coming from a finance background i obviously know what numbers work together, it's more of just those little 'industry' things i'm not aware of (how zoning and council related restrictions affect your property. saw there was a "BAL" discussion on somersoft relating to calleya and that adding costs to building your house - stuff like that which the newbie wouldn't know). I know there are some agencies to look into that show you future developments, infrastructure around the area?

Sorry to be so general... the "2 weeks till release" has got me spooked, and i know I must sound like a real douche asking for the "holy grail" to be given to me.

Any help would be appreciated. Other issue is i'm on probation on a new job, so obtaining pre approval is another hurdle which i am hoping there are financial institutions who cover that ...

Everything you need is on this forum. And if you happen to finish somersoft, there's all the books worth reading recommended on here also.

IMO newbies shouldn't be buying until they have spent at least a solid 6 months on SOMERSOFT.

IMO newbies shouldn't be buying until they have spent at least a solid 6 months on SOMERSOFT.

Its like cod liver oil.

When you haven't started taking the medicine it doesn't seem like much fun.

But when its part of your regular routine you realise how good it is for you.

Somewhat hooked on both :)

Back