First Time Buyer - Where To Buy In Brisbane

How many meth labs have exploded in Logan this year, killing or injuring occupants of the building?

How many fatal shootings in Logan this year?

How many race riots in Logan this year?

Area's can gentrify. Case in point...Balmain, Sydney.

Cronulla race riots December 2005.... The Cronulla Shire...not a bad spot by any stretch!

Many a Meth Lab in affluent areas along with shootings and everything else in between.......

Area's can gentrify. Case in point...Balmain, Sydney.

Cronulla race riots December 2005.... The Cronulla Shire...not a bad spot by any stretch!

Many a Meth Lab in affluent areas along with shootings and everything else in between.......
Totally agree. Another example is Redfern. Even Parramatta (north of train line). 10 years ago I would have hesitated to get out of the car :)

I'll now mention a few other statistics that you can research on your desktop. I cant be bothered researching these myself, besides I have lived in Brisbane for more than 50 years so I think, with all due respect, I have a bit more Creds than you.
Here are few desktop research since you asked very nicely :)

streetadvisor rating out of 10
Salisbury 9.2 ; Moorooka - 8.6 ; Sunnybank - 6.5
Daisy Hill - 9.3 ; Waterford - 8.1 ; Tanah Merah - 6.9

The Claims Theft Incidence Rate (CTIR) by RACQ (number of theft claims made per 100 policies)
4107 Salisbury, Salisbury East 2.31
4207 Beenleigh, Cedar Creek, Eagleby, Mount Warren Park, Yatla 1.94

Upto year 2008 NSW stats from howsafeisyoursuburb says that Sydney & Blacktown were the most dangerous LGAs in NSW! Newcastle at 4th and Parramatta at 8th place!
We all know what is happening to the property prices in Blacktown, Newcastle & Parra.

All very true Devank.

I'll now mention a few other statistics that you can research on your desktop. I cant be bothered researching these myself, besides I have lived in Brisbane for more than 50 years so I think, with all due respect, I have a bit more Creds than you.

How many meth labs have exploded in Logan this year, killing or injuring occupants of the building?

How many fatal shootings in Logan this year?

How many race riots in Logan this year?

Ha, typical media response.

The media in Seqld always knocks Logan , actually I have few contacts in the police service who tell me that besides a few small hotspots of trouble in Logan most areas are good and some areas on the Gold Coast and north of the Cbd are worse but never mentioned much in the media. Some areas in the Redlands are no good either. But hardly get mentioned.

I have lived on the ground in Logan for 40 years and it's so handy to everything. Coast, cbd, redlands bayside,ipswich. Its smack bang in the middle.I laugh as everyone tries and gets down the coast on the weekends in traffic from Brisbane or Northside.

It's always been a Northside is sooo much better than the south side argument every since I was a kid growing up in Brisbane. It's simply not true.

Everyone thinks that you need to be near the Cbd to work, live. I could not think of anything worse than having to work in the cbd and living near it.

I love been able to put my boat or ski onto the Logan river and shoot out into the bay or drive 30 mins and be on the coast for weekend fun.

I have just bought an investment property in Eaglby, which is cash flow positive
and last quarter the area has had 12 percent growth.

I have just bought a townhouse in Waterford which is getting good gains.

The media always hype up the Logan area for crime when there are some worse suburbs north of cbd than any in Logan.

Even when we had that recent flooding event in Logan which by the way only affected about handful of properties compared to the 10's of thousands in the area the media did not even mention any of it or very little coverage. But when someones shop or house gets knocked over its on prime tv that night but when a lady gets raped in ascot or similar it gets swepted under the carpet very quickly.

The media has a lot of control in how things run and can make people believe and think a certain way but in fact in reality it can be a total different story.

I have uncle who lives in waterfront mansion in Raby Bay and in a few streets they found a very large meth lab. The mansion over the road from him was raided by the cops and was full of hydroponic pot. The whole house was converted to this. It was a property worth about 3 million. The authorities also have taken a couple of other properties from proceeds of crime in another street from him. He has to keep things locked up out the back as kids in tinnys usually steal stuff off the pontoons or patio areas.

I have some customers who live in Hamilton near the race courses and are sick to death of all the drunken issues that go with it including drunks vandalizing their car one night.

Keep knocking Logan , I could afford to live in Ascot but rather like living and working in Logan area anyday.

once I saw Inala ranked above The Gap and Kangaroo Point I gave up :rolleyes: Moorooka is another shocker.. in my opinion will only get worse before it gets better.

I think streetadvisor needs to define "best suburbs in..."
Best value for money?
Best quality of life?
or Best chance of getting robbed?

I find it interesting that the majority of people spruiking places like Logan and (in the past) Redcliffe are people from NSW.. because they're making comparisons with Sydney. If there's ever going to be a boom in these suburbs it will be exclusively from NSW investors :p

Last edited:
Totally agree. Another example is Redfern. Even Parramatta (north of train line). 10 years ago I would have hesitated to get out of the car :)

The Claims Theft Incidence Rate (CTIR) by RACQ (number of theft claims made per 100 policies)
4107 Salisbury, Salisbury East 2.31
4207 Beenleigh, Cedar Creek, Eagleby, Mount Warren Park, Yatla 1.94

Upto year 2008 NSW stats from howsafeisyoursuburb says that Sydney & Blacktown were the most dangerous LGAs in NSW! Newcastle at 4th and Parramatta at 8th place!
We all know what is happening to the property prices in Blacktown, Newcastle & Parra.

Does anyone know where you can find proper statistics for crime rates for each area in brisbane?

All these stats have so many potential confounding variables.

Potential confounds that I can think of with the RACQ data:

(1) Peoples' propensity to actually make a report. If they live in a suburb where they expect to be robbed, they may be less likely to be bothered placing a claim.

(2) Insurance may be less affordable in the worst areas of places within logan or within suburbs like woodridge, etc... and therefore claims rates go down in the area in general because of the exclusion of the hardest hit parts of a suburb.

(3) Excess rates may be less affordable to those that hold policies in lower ses suburbs and therefore they don't place claims in general, once again lowering claims rates. It's one thing to hold an insurance policy, it's another thing to be able to afford a huge excess out of the blue in order to claim.

I'm sure there are other extraneous variables that I'm not thinking up. Would be great to see a good research paper on all of this. There has to be something in one of the Journals surely.

But lets not rule out the fact that I, as well as many others, could just be the victims of the same sort of observational biases that lead to any other number of unfounded beliefs (i.e. racism, superstition, etc..) in regards to believing that logan etc... are worse suburbs than they actually are. Untill we see good solid evidence that is statistically significant and that rules out potential confounds, then it's too soon to say. Without actual evidence it all just turns into opinions and personal experiences rather than figures derived from a large enough sample group to actually find statistically significant results.

Holy Moly

Thanks for all the arguments, boys.

Of course Logan is really a perfectly safe place to live in most parts.

The lady WANTS to buy a place, in BRISBANE. End of story.

Why suggest places that are miles further away when she didn't ask for that. If she is asking for advice about suburbs in BRISBANE, then why cant you offer info about places IN Brisbane. Logan and the GC are not Brisbane.

For what it's worth, I would expect a meth lab in Hamilton would be less likely to destroy adjoining properties because in Hamilton the houses are so far apart. In Logan they not only burn down their own place but a few of the other ones in the complex. Different CLASS of crims, fellas.

good point. and its not as if its just a quick and easy trip out there. my friend who lived a shailer park said that the public transport there is horrible. and i know the traffic on the motorway is shocking going out there it backs up from garden city all the way to slacks creek when its not even peak hour. if u worked in the cbd you would hate the commute. at least you would if you thought 45-60min drive in traffic to get home is unacceptable. a lot of days ill drive in peak hour and be home in 20mins and outside of those times it only takes me around ten mins

because they're making comparisons with Sydney.
Good point. We all try to see the world from where we are sitting. Apart from tolerance to 'travel time' what else do you think we should be aware of?

Potential confounds that I can think of with the RACQ data:
I agree with you that we really need to look deep behind any statistics. Unless you do your own study you can never avoid this problem. At the end of the day we need to settle with statistics released by a decent company who doesn’t have any ulterior motives or manipulate their findings.

The lady WANTS to buy a place, in BRISBANE. End of story.
Why suggest places that are miles further away when she didn't ask for that. If she is asking for advice about suburbs in BRISBANE, then why cant you offer info about places IN Brisbane. Logan and the GC are not Brisbane.

Here are few ‘requirements’ stated by NZGirl
[*]I'm open as to what suburb to purchase in, as long as it takes less than 1 hour to commute to the city (the faster the commute the better, and I would prefer to be close to a train line rather than reliant on buses). However, my family are all in the 'burbs on the south-side of Brisbane – ie Calamvale, Springfield Lakes etc so I would prefer to be not too far north.
  • I'm looking to spend up to about $400K. …
  • I would prefer a house, townhouse, villa rather…
    However, looking at new build options….
    … being a potential future investment…
  • Are there any other options that I have missed?

I am totally confused about whether to go new build or established, townhouse (with body corp) or house (freehold), or even what suburb to go with….
Is there something I haven't thought of, or am over thinking?...
any advice or feedback gratefully appreciated!

So basically she is looking for a:
- newish property with a land component
- located less than 1 hour to CBD closer to a train station
- under 400K
- close to South Brisbane
Also she is open to any suggestion.

So I’m not sure why it is a crime to suggest a suburb like Edens Landing?!? :)

Thanks for your replies ...

After reading your comments about Logan, crime and how the media always go on about it, I had to laugh when A Current Affair had a report last night on exactly that topic!

Right now, my first decision is whether to go new build or not. Ideally, I'd love to do new build close to the CBD, but my budget doesnt allow for that (unless I go into a 1 bedroom shoe box, which would be fine later down the track for investment purposes, but not for me to live in for the next few years). So I need to decide whether any of my new build options are worth it - if not, then I will ditch that idea and focus on established properties (and comments made on here indicate I will be able to get something in my price range within 10km of the CBD).

My options for new build are much further out. I dont mind a commute to the CBD, but prefer that commute to be via public transport and no more than 45 minutes. The options I've found that I can afford a new build (either already completed/under construction or via house/land package) are:
  • a house in Darra (express train to the city which is only 20 minutes, but potential undesirable suburb),
  • a house in Wacol (train to the city, but this suburb seems to have everything from prisons, young offenders units, drug and rehab units etc, so maybe not a good choice!),
  • townhouse in Richlands (train to the city),
  • townhouse/villa in Calamvale (within the 45-50 minute commute but reliant on buses, and I'm not sure how much of the bus route is on normal roads and therefore subject to delays, rather than on the busway)
  • Wynnum North (but the block of land backs onto a train line)
  • Coopers Plains (this is a 2 br unit, but the body corporate seems excessive (1 lift but no pool), and the view is over an industrial site, which they tell me will become residential, but no proof of this)

Does anyone have any views or thoughts on these particular suburbs or buying options? The thought of an actual house appeals, but I havent heard anything good about Darra - I keep thinking that surely Darra can only improve, with such a great public transport links to the city (and the express train which gets me there in 20 minutes), but others have told me Darra has been terrible for the last 30 years and will continue to be (not as bad as Inala, but close!).

Grrrr that the Government changed the FHOG, as it makes me really lean towards new build, but my options for this are quite limited!

I am following this thread with interest as I am looking similar to NZGirl. Angels suggestion of Everton Park and around the North of Brisbane is interesting.

I am taking another perspective in looking for a property in the Brisbane region. If we take the big flood of Brisbane a few years ago as indication of climate change impact on property values then we have to rule out many suburbs generally in a SW to NE direction across Brisbane and the CBD. Topology of low lying areas, flood, insurance, financing and valuations are interlinked.

So, just based on this big brush perspective plus sticking with OP requirements, I would look at Everton Park, Logan, Calamvale. I would downgrade investigations around Ascot, Coopersplain, Inala, Salisbury and Darra. I hope this doesn't sound disrespectful of suggestions by investors who are already successful around those areas but every investor is unique with structure, strategy and site. Furthermore, there is always exception to the broad brush approach.

Everton Park area is interesting from my perspective of its topology - no possibility of flood? I have yet to check its proximity to shopping mall, schools and other utilities.

I am following this thread with interest as I am looking similar to NZGirl. Angels suggestion of Everton Park and around the North of Brisbane is interesting.

I am taking another perspective in looking for a property in the Brisbane region. If we take the big flood of Brisbane a few years ago as indication of climate change impact on property values then we have to rule out many suburbs generally in a SW to NE direction across Brisbane and the CBD. Topology of low lying areas, flood, insurance, financing and valuations are interlinked.

So, just based on this big brush perspective plus sticking with OP requirements, I would look at Everton Park, Logan, Calamvale. I would downgrade investigations around Ascot, Coopersplain, Inala, Salisbury and Darra. I hope this doesn't sound disrespectful of suggestions by investors who are already successful around those areas but every investor is unique with structure, strategy and site. Furthermore, there is always exception to the broad brush approach.

Everton Park area is interesting from my perspective of its topology - no possibility of flood? I have yet to check its proximity to shopping mall, schools and other utilities.

Parts of Logan floods. In 2011 nothing in salisbury flooded. So not too sure about where you are getting your details from.

I'm at one of the lowest points in salisbury, and even at my house the water needed to be 2m higher to actually reach it. I tell you what if the water level in 2011 was 2m higher, than there would have been very little of brisbane left unaffected.

Buy a house on land & not a unit or townhouse

My opinion was formed from personal experiences in that if you can get a house for your money ALWAYS choose that option as besides the value on a house & land going up more than other options, Body Corps are an absolute
pain - they are like having to ask your parents permission for every little thing & sometimes you can have 20 people weigh in on a tiny decision plus I know plenty of people paying nearly same rates or more than houses & BC costs go up as they give themselves a CPI raise yearly & insurance costs plus you end up sharing costs of other peoples usage on water as they just divvy that up amongst the units...?

With a house you are free to do what you want! Can have your own herb or vegie garden, put solar panels on & get money back from the grid, have a pet or rent a room out (the money you save on Body Corp fees could pay for someone to mow lawns if you don't want to do it or get a male flatmate & compensate his rent for doing that chore monthly...put thinking cap on?)

Plus, when it is time to sell up you have extra option of selling to a family as well as they rarely buy units & townhouses so you have a much bigger market to aim at! (I'll probably get savaged by unit & townhouse owners now?)

I believe your only choice of research should be between an older home (could maybe find you'd get enjoyment from renovating it to your taste - as a hobby or do this & sell it to move onto next property with more money?)
or buy a new home either already built or via house & land package & enjoy choosing your house plan to suit along with tiles, fittings & colours etc - both project options to keep you excitedly occupied on weekends?
Best of luck with your decision!

Parts of Logan floods. In 2011 nothing in salisbury flooded. So not too sure about where you are getting your details from.
I'm at one of the lowest points in salisbury, and even at my house the water needed to be 2m higher to actually reach it. I tell you what if the water level in 2011 was 2m higher, than there would have been very little of brisbane left unaffected.

I have no listing of suburbs that are subject to flooding - just photographs of where the flood reached in blue. So, it is a very rough identification of suburbs that are likely to be subject to flooding together with imagined collateral damage to neighbouring suburbs.

I have no listing of suburbs that are subject to flooding - just photographs of where the flood reached in blue. So, it is a very rough identification of suburbs that are likely to be subject to flooding together with imagined collateral damage to neighbouring suburbs.

Rocklea flooded, salisbury didn't as salisbury is a suburb on a higher elevation than rocklea. The boarder of the flood water can be at the edge of a hill, but that doesn't mean that the house on top of the hill is at risk of flooding.

I actually really love the fact that there is a little stream at the back of my place on kellett rd. It means I am in the ARI 1 in 100 year flood zone. Which means I get to build my house an extra 1m tall at 9.5m. I've got no actual realistic risk of my property getting flooded, but I do get the benefits of a nice big house once I raise the place this year :)

Back