First time renovator! Progress images

Hi Dan89
Just a quick question. If you decide to have someone else to do everything for you, how much would it cost?

If I was to have majority of works done by others I would guess another $30-40k ontop of my buget although I haven't had any actual quotes etc. thus far all I have used is s tiler for bathrooms and plastered for the tricky stuff!

image.jpg

Ensuite coming together nicely! happy with my choice of tile colour. Can't go wrong for $9sqm also!

Any recommendation on either framless or semi-frameless shower screens? I'm unsure which one I'm going to go with at this point..

Last edited:
Nice renovation work. However, I am a bit concerned about the mould forming on the bedroom wall and wondered whether extra brick wall ventilation by itself will solve the problem. You may be able to observe whether condensation or moisture is present on the wall through normal use of the room in Winter. If problem appears to continue, I would explore and consider more measures: adequacy of insulation around the bedroom, integrity of roofing, ventilation under the house.

awesome job!

are you doing the kitchen yourself too? where from?

did you know the tiles in the kitchen were laid over the floor boards or found out after you started? What flooring will you go for in there?

Like the bathroom tiles and a bargain price! where did you score those? ebay?

Nice renovation work. However, I am a bit concerned about the mould forming on the bedroom wall and wondered whether extra brick wall ventilation by itself will solve the problem. You may be able to observe whether condensation or moisture is present on the wall through normal use of the room in Winter. If problem appears to continue, I would explore and consider more measures: adequacy of insulation around the bedroom, integrity of roofing, ventilation under the house.

Thanks Francesco,

It is also a concern to me but so far so good! it's been nearly 3 months since the mould was treated and no signs of it returning as yet.. There is only around 200mm under the subfloor at the front of the house where this room is and water seems to be pooling in the garden corner outside this window so I think there is a slight drainage problem also. I'll be looking into this further after the inside is done and I'm able to move in.

awesome job!

are you doing the kitchen yourself too? where from?

did you know the tiles in the kitchen were laid over the floor boards or found out after you started? What flooring will you go for in there?

Like the bathroom tiles and a bargain price! where did you score those? ebay?

G'day Bob,

Kitchen is being built by Kitchens U Build in Bayswater, Vic but will be supplied flat packed. I will be doing the kitchen myself so hoping it goes together well!

Yes I was aware that the tiles were laid on the pine boards then cement sheet which contained asbestos. The asbestos I was not initially aware of and assumed it was just cement sheet (never assume anything!). At this point I will just be sanding and polishing the pine in kitchen, lounge, dining rooms with a water based finish (Bona - Traffic)

I picked the tiles up from Johnson Tiles also in Bayswater. They had a large relocation sale which was perfect timing. Very happy with them!

Will update shortly with some kitchen and bathroom completion shots!

Dan

For those interested I will be uploading a few progress images. Internally I am nearing completion with the renovation. Have spent countless hours working outside of my full-time job in the past 5 months and couldn't be happier with the outcome so far!

When completed I will be uploading final images along with total costs and hopefully an attractive valuation to go with it! :D

Happy to take constructive criticism where necessary also.

Main Bathroom completed! (Each bathroom has cost me approx $5-6k in total)
IMG_4577.jpg

Main Bathroom
IMG_4579.jpg

Main Bathroom - Semi frame-less screens ($1200 for both bathrooms)
IMG_4581.jpg

IMG_4582.jpg

Ensuite - 1200 x 900 shower
IMG_4584.jpg

Last edited:
Completed wall between kitchen and dining (was originally an ugly arched wall and felt too segregated - Now far more open!)
IMG_4543.jpg

IMG_4542.jpg

*Note: This project has been my first attempt at painting so lucky there are no close ups ;). Very happy with our choice of colour though (Haymes - Spatial).

Kitchen Progress! - More has been done since although have not updated images.
IMG_4529.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg

Awaiting Glass splashback then very close to being completed!

At this point the kitchen owes me approx $9.5k including Smeg cooktop, Meile oven and glass splashback.

More images to come and hopefully some more accurate details on costs. Anyway, back to it!

Cheers, Dan

Awesome work!! everything looks tops

Colour will be noted for future use
your shower did had some controversy but i have no issues with it, came up really well. bathroom looks tops and very flash with the bath and nice tile choice!
Kitchen ticks all the boxes for me. like the 5 burner cooktop, big fridge hole and cupboards up nice and high using as much space as possible!

well done!!

yeh looks great.
I'm very impressed with the cost of the bathrooms and like how you've done them.
That'll be me soon. Did you take time off work? And did you do the tiling yourself? Oh , I see you got a tiler.

Haha not a stupid question. I thought the same although accordingly to my plasterer mate there is no need for them therefore just plastered strait over them. I heard they used to be a requirement to allow ventilation from possible heater fumes (correct me if I am wrong). Anyway, they look ugly and make the home feel dated.

Correct. I did the same with my house. Looks so much better. Is your house on stumps? If not that maybe a problem.

House looks so good. Well done!

I'd be keen to see the break up of the costs for the bathroom. To do a room that looks so good for $5K to $6K is very good. I'd be keen to see where the money went. I've got friends who are about to embark on an ensuite. They were quoted $49K for a bathroom company to do it :eek:

I've sent them the names of our tiler, plumber and sparkie and they will do it themselves.

Even the bathroom we did at home (without the extra we paid for stone bath, underfloor heat, frameless sliding screen etc) would have come in at $11K from memory.

House looks so good. Well done!

I'd be keen to see the break up of the costs for the bathroom. To do a room that looks so good for $5K to $6K is very good. I'd be keen to see where the money went. I've got friends who are about to embark on an ensuite. They were quoted $49K for a bathroom company to do it :eek:

I've sent them the names of our tiler, plumber and sparkie and they will do it themselves.

Even the bathroom we did at home (without the extra we paid for stone bath, underfloor heat, frameless sliding screen etc) would have come in at $11K from memory.

Hi Wylie,

Bathroom costs below;

Labour
Plumbing total: $920
Caulking: $100
Tiling: 30h @ $45 = $1350
Asbestos Removal :mad: : $1000
Electrician: (My old man - actual cost $0) :D $500 approx
Plasterer (stopping walls etc.): $200

Materials

Fittings (shower heads etc.): $670
Silicones: $86
Grout: $60
1200mm stone top vanity: $617
900mm stone top vanity: $525
tiles ($9sqm): $356
Bath: $699
Shower Base (900x900): $129
Shower Base (1200x900 - used): $20
Glass shower shelves: $80
Towel rails: $137
Toilets: $600
Base waste (was not included): $18
Underlay nails: $12
Door: $55
Plaster (aquacheck): $303
Stud adhesive: $24
Insulation: $186
Tile adhesive: $160
2 x Caroma taps (builders excess stock): $50
Waterproof membrane: $120
Liquid nails: $12
Tile underlay: $107
Yellow tongue: $168
Shower screens: $1200 for 2 x semi frameless
Paslode Nails: $50
Paint: $100 approx

Total: $10,614 for both bathrooms!

All other labour was completed by me.

May have forgotten bits and pieces but figures are reasonably accurate!

Last edited:
Wow Dan that's top work

Love the bathrooms. How did you manage to get them done so cheaply? Did you waterproof yourself?

I did one last year in Sydney. The cheapest quote I got was 10k. I didn't do anything though. I wish I knew how.

Kitchen also looks fantastic. Great first project. You should be very proud of yourself! Keep up the great work!

Do you recommend any tradies you've used?

Wow Dan that's top work

Love the bathrooms. How did you manage to get them done so cheaply? Did you waterproof yourself?

I did one last year in Sydney. The cheapest quote I got was 10k. I didn't do anything though. I wish I knew how.

Kitchen also looks fantastic. Great first project. You should be very proud of yourself! Keep up the great work!

Do you recommend any tradies you've used?

Hi Cadence,

The major savings were from limiting the use of trades. I also sourced a few items from Ebay/gumtree which wasn't a huge saving but every bit helps!

My tiller ran me through the waterproofing process then I completed the second coat. Fairly simple process but as I am not "certified" obviously I do not have a certificate for the works. I am confident it has been done to a satisfactory standard though :).

Given my trade background (ex cabinet maker/shop fitter) I am generally willing to give things a shot.

There is plenty of info/tutorials online if you were looking to go the DIY route although personally id leave the finishing items (tiling, shower screens etc.) to the experts! It also helps having a few tradie mates ;)

Cheers

Hi Dan,

I am really impressed with your work! Great job!
I am currently living in an IP with the worse bathroom I've ever had to use!
Very motivated to start renovating.

With regards to the asbestos removal, how much work was done? The quote seems very cheap. Is it just the floor?
I know I have asbestos on the wall and the floor of the bathroom.

How big is your master before you add the ensuite? Do you have a layout which you can share? I am planning to add an ensuite into one of the bedroom, but I am afraid it has to be a really small narrow ensuite. Yours seems like a decent size.

Cheers,
Jade.

Hi Dan,

I am really impressed with your work! Great job!
I am currently living in an IP with the worse bathroom I've ever had to use!
Very motivated to start renovating.

With regards to the asbestos removal, how much work was done? The quote seems very cheap. Is it just the floor?
I know I have asbestos on the wall and the floor of the bathroom.

How big is your master before you add the ensuite? Do you have a layout which you can share? I am planning to add an ensuite into one of the bedroom, but I am afraid it has to be a really small narrow ensuite. Yours seems like a decent size.

Cheers,
Jade.

Hi Jade,

Thanks for the positive feedback!

In regards to asbestos, I originally started ripping out my bathroom (ripping off tiles and sheeting from walls) when I thought the sheeting behind the tiles looked similar to asbestos. Sure enough after having it tested it was confirmed that it contained a small percentage! Anywhere in the house where tiles were laid (bathroom floors, walls, kitchen floors, splashback, laundry floor) has AC/asbestos sheeting underneath. I had it all removed for $2500 from a local company. I had already ripped out the majority of the main bathroom so though $1000 allowance as noted seemed fair.

The house I'm working on is a little strange.. It has 2 bathrooms but is probably only considered a 2 bedroom as 1 of the rooms had an arched opening without a door. Both the ensuite and main bathroom are a similar size (approx 2.4m x 2.7m) but the bedrooms are small. I will PM you some further details and floor plan when I get the chance! happy to discuss my thoughts in relation to your potential reno's too :)

Cheers

Floors have been sanded (by flooring contractor). They have came up slightly more yellow than I had originally hoped but none the less have come up well. I will be keeping the natural colour as I wanted a light finish.

First coat of water based polish will be going on today and I cannot wait to see how it looks.

IMG_4644.jpg

I am now in the process of choosing glass splash back colour so would love peoples thoughts as I am terrible with colours are far to indecisive.. I have painted the charcoal colour on last night to get a feel for it but has come up very dark..

IMG_4664.jpg
IMG_4650.jpg

Basically I am trying to achieve the dark blue/charcoal colour as per the splash back attached (see below) but glazier cannot match to pictures so I am left to choose a spec..

IMG_4564.JPG

Happy to take peoples advice on which colour they think will suit best. :D

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Back