First time renovator! Progress images

The colour of the splashback will be affected by the aspect of your kitchen. E.g. if you have a northerly aspect there, blue will come up well, white will look white, etc.
I did a white splashback in a southerly kitchen and it came up a real icy aqua. It's not what I planned but I really like it now.
An artist friend even suggested having the natural greeny look of natural glass - another good idea. If it was a south facing room, I'd be interested in the yellowy-green that would come up if you painted it some kind of yellow.
I personally like the lighter colours. Turquoise and aqua look good because they're cusp colours - warm and cool elements.
Whatever you do will look good anyway - I love glass splashbacks.

Lookin good mate!

Is your old mate getting you a deal on the splash back? How close can he get to the colour your after?
Also now that it's painted you might need to find out if it's best to paint it white?? I'm not to sure if that will darken it more ??
Have you thought about tiles? A lot cheaper plus might be easier to get the colour you're after. get a big 600x300 tile or something that won't show to many joints, plus match similar colour grout.
with the floors light you may need to ease up on the dark splash back, lighten it up to a more grey chsrcol as it could be to harsh

I think the charcoal splash back is too dark. I'd choose a pale colour and add colour with accessories that can be changed easily.

A few progress shots of the renovation!

Before shot of the lounge.. Feeling a little ill looking back at these :eek:

image.jpg

The finished product! Over the moon with how the floors came out! Water based finish has helped retain the lighter colour (without the yellowing effect that polyurethane leaves) and looks amazing with the contrast of the walls! Looking forward to a break as my 26 year old body feels around 80 right now! :(

image.jpg

Top colour choice and changing the archs.

I hope you did all that with kids! Otherwise your 26 *** should be feeling a lot younger!:D

Top job, when's the next one planned? How's the kitchen going

Top colour choice and changing the archs.

I hope you did all that with kids! Otherwise your 26 *** should be feeling a lot younger!:D

Top job, when's the next one planned? How's the kitchen going

Thanks Bob!

No kids for me for some time (I hope).. firstly the fact that I can't afford them and secondly children are the last thing on my 21 year old girlfriends mind!

Kitchen is all completed minus the splashbacks. I will reveal the finished product when it's installed in a week or so!

Next project will be building on the back. Meeting with my broker next week to discuss options but looking forward to the challenge. Still a bunch of work on my current project but now that I've moved in the external works need not be rushed.

Thanks for the positive feedback mate!

Good work with the reno mate! Just read through the whole thread. Reading stories like this sure do help motivate me! I have a 3bed Villa that I'll be renovating later in the year so thanks for the inspiration!

Good work with the reno mate! Just read through the whole thread. Reading stories like this sure do help motivate me! I have a 3bed Villa that I'll be renovating later in the year so thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks mate! All the best with it! There have been times I've felt like giving up and there have been countless profanities used but when it all starts coming together it makes it all worthwhile. It was easier for me as I didn't plan on living in the home during the reno process.

Happy to help out with any questions if you get stuck at any point! I'm no expert but have no doubt learnt a great deal so far :)

Cheers

Decided to throw up a couple of sliding doors Friday night on the open room/study to allow it to be used as a 3rd bedroom but stil retain the option to have the room open.

Picked the doors up for $150 each plus the barn style track which cost $300. I think it looks great and creates a versatile room. Just need to fit a latch/handle and sort out some perimeter seals to reduce noise and she's done! Unsure yet if I should leave unpainted (oil doors to seal) or paint up in white as per the rest of the house. I'm leaning towards the timber look.. :cool:

Anyway a few pics below!

image.jpg

Wow, that's really amazing!
dan89, haven't seen you over on property chat. Too busy renovating?
It's easy enough to sign up and then you can inspire us with your progress over there. Or are you wanting to keep the thread going here to keep everything together?
Maybe Sim can move it across for you (and us)?

as per wattle coming to PC

As for your doors, why not go the wood finish in the study and paint the dining room side white, i think the wood could stand out to much in the dining area. make something else the feature of the room.
Plus the hinges are inside the study and combined look

See you at PC! just copy your photos from here to a brief new thread startingoff from here

Back