First time selling house...is this for real?

OK, thinking about selling IP1 to fund development of IP2 in a few years time.

I sent an inquiry to a few real estate agents and got several replies via email today.

Most of their emails had poor punctuation, bad grammar, spelling mistakes and misinformation etc....is this the reality of the real estate market in Perth right now? Although grammar and the company's performance may be unrelated, I view a well structured document as an indication of how well the company may perform or be of service to me, and these companies that got back to me were all borderline "C".

Is this what I have to put up with to sell a house? From this, I can imagine late or no reply to phone calls, weeks at a time with no updates, and possibly sub-performing sale. It makes it all the more harder as I am overseas right now.

Is there a "For Sale" section on this site? I can't seem to find any subheadings. I think I'd rather sell it to a fellow investor here than pay one of these monkeys close to $10k.

Most of their emails had poor punctuation, bad grammar, spelling mistakes and misinformation etc....is this the reality of the real estate market in Perth right now?
I'm afraid so,the couple of houses I've listed they couldn't do the most simple tasks I asked.
I'm no scholar,but honestly the description of the property's and photos were terrible.I don't know how they can sell anything.

I put mine on ebay and got responses nearly immediately,
I didn't sell , using Ebay,but I got a few people through in the first couple of weeks.:p

I did the add up with photos and then told them in the end to copy my description and photos from ebay cause theirs sucked.:(

Jebb, Its for real mate, most agents in oz are hopeless. your actually doing quite well to have got replies from them they must not have had anything else to do today.
Ive emailed plenty of agents with no reply.
I have listed properties for lease and the agents are so slack at keeping me upto date with whats going on, I have to call them and that is crap service if you ask me.
Ive had properties for lease and agents have showed people threw and got no deal, then Ive listed the same property and got it leased
If your living overseas you will find it tricky, ask on this forum if anyone knows a good agent in Perth.

you will find plenty of mistakes in this post:eek
But then again school suk* so I left at 13 and went and done what I no best $$$:D

Jebb, Its for real mate, most agents in oz are hopeless. your actually doing quite well to have got replies from them they must not have had anything else to do today.
Ive emailed plenty of agents with no reply.
I have listed properties for lease and the agents are so slack at keeping me upto date with whats going on, I have to call them and that is crap service if you ask me.
Ive had properties for lease and agents have showed people threw and got no deal, then Ive listed the same property and got it leased
If your living overseas you will find it tricky, ask on this forum if anyone knows a good agent in Perth.

you will find plenty of mistakes in this post:eek:
But then again school suk* so I left at 13 and went and done what I no best $$$:D

Hey guys thanks for the replies.

I thought so, it's quite disheartening really.

Well flying back for a week or two is an alternative, then I could use a site like goprivate.com.au.

The problem is the place is tenanted and I'd have to organize it with the PM to allow people to walk through the place.

Something to think about anyway, there is no real hurry to sell it, but I'd like to get rid of it before I have to pay any CGT on it (I was living in it for two years, so still have another 3 years to go).

I thought it was a condition of becoming a REA that you aren't allowed to be able to spell or form decent sentences or take good photos? Certainly is the case in this area.

Try the "caveat emptor" section on this forum if you want to sell to another investor.

The problem is the place is tenanted and I'd have to organize it with the PM to allow people to walk through the place.
That could be a problem.

I'm looking for a property now and it's amazing how much honest information you can get out of a tenant in a friendly discussion. Bad neighbours, walls like cardboard, paint covering up mould, leaking roof, dog that barks all night,hot water heater on its last legs, balcony about to fall off, flooding in the garage after a light rain... "So tell us about the place..." is my current favourite sentence. RE agents can't get us out of there fast enough. :)

OK, thinking about selling IP1 to fund development of IP2 in a few years time.

I sent an inquiry to a few real estate agents and got several replies via email today.

Most of their emails had poor punctuation, bad grammar, spelling mistakes and misinformation etc....is this the reality of the real estate market in Perth right now? Although grammar and the company's performance may be unrelated, I view a well structured document as an indication of how well the company may perform or be of service to me, and these companies that got back to me were all borderline "C".

Is this what I have to put up with to sell a house? From this, I can imagine late or no reply to phone calls, weeks at a time with no updates, and possibly sub-performing sale. It makes it all the more harder as I am overseas right now.

Is there a "For Sale" section on this site? I can't seem to find any subheadings. I think I'd rather sell it to a fellow investor here than pay one of these monkeys close to $10k.

Wh not try an agent with a fixed low commission.

I don't know if you have Go Gecko over your way, but they are in Qld, and I think I read they are the fastest growing agency. I cannot vouch for their service though, but you pay a fixed commission of $6500......or there abouts.

Cheers,

F

"timber ceiling with lovely aspect to garden through solid French doors and colonial timber windows"

I cant see anything thruogh(can somebody spell that for me?(see Cynic below)) my ceiling, or watch the step through the door
or

[CYNIC]
Dumb is the standard, that {profession} seems to strive to live down to
Assume dumb and any surprise, it will be a pleasant one. The only surprise left will be if the {professional} you find isn't a moron
[/CYNIC]

All agents are a waste of space. You can easliy sell your own car so it should be no different with a house.

Take my dealings with an agent this week:

New listing appears online so I send an email Tuesday night asking about the strata fees.

- No response wednesday
- Ring thursday morning, the agent doesn't know but will get back to me. Also doesn't know what it's like inside as he hasn't had a chance to go through the property. (only external photo available online).
- Thursday arvo lets me know strata fees so I ask for an inspection. I'm available at any time as my work is flexible. Says he'll arrange and let me know.
- Friday nothing
- Saturday nothing. Ring mid morning, not available so left a message. No call back so far.

When/if this place sells he'll pick up his $7K for really doing jack.

Success in real estate is not about selling, it's about getting the listing.

All agents are a waste of space. You can easliy sell your own car so it should be no different with a house.

Success in real estate is not about selling, it's about getting the listing.

These are two pretty silly things to say. I can give you some references from people for whom I have sold, and I can assure you the sales prices I have achieved in excess of reserve is something I don't think you could emulate yourself.

In relation to your second comment you obviously haven't tried selling in a buyers market.

Last edited:
These are two pretty silly things to say. I can give you some references from people for whom I have sold, and I can assure you the sales prices I have achieved in excess of reserve is something I don't think you could emulate yourself.

In relation to your second comment you obviously haven't tried selling in a buyers market.

We'll agree to disagree....won't even start on auctions.

Back